Mounting points for 5 point seatbelt

karolko

I was wondering if you guys could post some photos of how you installed your 5 point harness'. I was planning on using the two factory locations on the floor pan, but i am still debating on how to do the uppers and crotch strap.

I have a 6 point cage, and i am debating on welding the shoulder tabs are vertical or horisontal along the cross bar on the cage. (hoep this makes sense).

As for the crtoch strap i was planning on making a piece that connects from the factory seat bolt locations so i could install the bracket there.

Any ideas would help, right now i am drawing blanks, but that could be the rum...

Adrian

for the crotch drill the floor and use large 3" washer on underside (dont attach to cross member) and use bolt atleast 3/8" ,or summit sells an eyebolt kit just for this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/IMR-50000041/

for the rear bar mount weld the tabs at an angle straight toward top of seat where belts pass over

I did the same with my middle belt. The side belts I used the stock mounting holes. See picture for what I did for the upper straps. I didn't use a tab, the strict nhra track by me said it was fine.

harness1.jpg

I used the stock mounts for the lap belt.

On the sub belt, I used a piece of 1/8" steel plate and welded a 1/2-13 nut to the plate. Cut the plate to the same width as the rib mentioned below. maybe 4-5" long.

There is a reinforcing rib in the floor right under the seat. I took a 1" hole saw and cut a hole through the rib so the nut would hang inside the rib. Welded the plate to the rib. Done

On the shoulder belts, I welded a tab horizontal to the crossbar that points rearward. Bolted the belts to the bar. My local track gave me a bunch of crap about wraparounds.

Sorry, no pics

Dave

Weld a tab on the cross bar for the shoulder straps (horizontally, on the back of the bar). I put my lap & crotch straps both in the factory holes. Mine are RCI platinum & the crotch one ended up a little tight. If you are a big man or your belts are any shorter you will need to mount them elsewhere or make an extension.

Everyones covered the shoulder harness thing. A good way (atleast I think) to do the "anti submarine" belt,is to use a 1/8th piece of flat steel 1-1 1/4 wide,and sandwich it between the front seat studs on the floor,and the seat. Then fasten the belt to the bar. Everything is mounted in "shear",and you'll never break it . You'll break your "junk" first.

That is what i was thinking of doing. It seems like a way better idea than drilling a hole through the floorboard and just using a large washer. At least this way you can distribute the weight a over a larger area.

Can you explain what you mean by shear.

Adrian

A good way (atleast I think) to do the "anti submarine" belt,is to use a 1/8th piece of flat steel 1-1 1/4 wide,and sandwich it between the front seat studs on the floor,and the seat. Then fasten the belt to the bar. Everything is mounted in "shear",and you'll never break it . You'll break your "junk" first.

This is how it is set up on my car. I / We have never been hassled by any track people about it's mounting so I "asssume" it is legal. :confused:

Everyones covered the shoulder harness thing. A good way (atleast I think) to do the "anti submarine" belt,is to use a 1/8th piece of flat steel 1-1 1/4 wide,and sandwich it between the front seat studs on the floor,and the seat. Then fasten the belt to the bar. Everything is mounted in "shear",and you'll never break it . You'll break your "junk" first.

Big head & TWIN, got any pics? Thanx. :cool:

This the same way I did it too.

This is how it is set up on my car. I / We have never been hassled by any track people about it's mounting so I "asssume" it is legal. :confused:

Either have I

Big head & TWIN, got any pics? Thanx. :cool:

I'll try and get a pic today. Very simple to do.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com