Motorcycle for a rookie

Before I bought my GN, I did not own a car. The wife had the minivan, and I had a suzuki katana (the new style). It was my daily driver. Leather and gloves in rush hour traffic in south florida HEAT and RAIN. All I wanted to do was ride. It was my life.

Sunday mornings before church, I would ride up to lake okeechobee for breakfast. Never went below 100mph...

In the city, I was THE safest driver. With a wife and two kids, I played it real safe. My wife never had a problem cuase she knew how safe I was. I was very adamant about safe driving, cause I had already had my "learn not to be an as@#$ole" accident when I was 21.

On my oldest sons 3rd birthday, I got popped on the way to work. Hit a truck at 45mph. I did not get a chance to stop or swerve or anything. I couldn't move for a couple of hours (still don't know why), and I spent a week in the hospital. Luckily, the only thing that was totally wrecked (besides the bike) was my pinky finger on my right hand. Three surgeries later, and it still don't work right.

So, no matter how careful you are, there is always a chance something BAD can happen. Just like anything fun and dangerous, there is a risk. With the GN, a fender-bender won't hurt me. On a bike, you have no protection. And cement HURTS!

If you are going to do it, take the MSF course, and a few roadracing courses. It is important to never lose focus and to be ready to take evasive action. The new bikes are so nimble and easy to ride, it is easy to lose focus. You know, "the horse knows the way home"...

I think that the suzuki katana 600, sv650 and bandit 600's are great buys. Pick one up that is a few years old and save $$$...

I swore I would never ride again, but two years after the accident, I am restoring a 1973 sportster...:cool:

Been there, Tried that, Almost made it...

I don't have much experience on bikes, but I have given it a shot and must say it really was fun. The first bike I ever rode was a late 80's/early 90's Suzuki Katana 1100. It wa s um......Interesting. I spent many hours driving that beast around my friends back yard until they finally talked me into getting my permit. With my permit I rode Pvtpilot's Harley Sportster a few times, but never had enough time to finish the deal and get my license. I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Friend came over last night.

Just got back from visiting his aunt and uncle in the hospital. They got t-boned on a motorcycle. She lost a limb and a lot of skin, etc. He had both lungs punctured and a whole bunch of broken bones. He has been in ICU for a few weeks...

be carefull...:(