Motorcycle for a rookie

MissingMyBuick

I have been thinking of getting a motorcycle sometime in the not too distant future. I really like the Suzuki GSXR600's, but I read that sport bikes aren't good for beginners. I really like how they look and sound. I am wondering what you guys think. But I am open to getting a "lame" bike (but not too lame) at first and then moving up to the GSXR. Advice please.

Go for a dual purpose bike first like an older xl 650 from honda. Getting a sport bike first is a good way to get killed by driving over your head. I've been away from cycles for some time and they've gottin alot better. Put it this way, I got out when Suzuki introduced the Gsx750r back in the 80's. The last digger was an 84 cr250 I bought for 2600 hundred. They sure cost alot more now.

A lot depends on what you are looking to do with the Bike.

Work? Fun? looking for better gas milage since Cali gas prices went through the roof?

If you have never ridden a bike I would buy a cheap Used
bike to practice with driving 2 seasons then sell it.
I assume you can drive all 4 saesons in Cali.?????

Back when I started driving a motorcycle I noticed right off you had no time to let your mind wander. You had to PAY EXTRA ATTENTION to watch out for the grannies, makeup artists, weather conditions changing (so you had to dress correctly)
Well what made it really worse are those BASSTON Drivers!

After 2 seasons I gave up my MC lis to live longer..

Started off with an FZR600 and went to a ZX7RR and have been as high as a GSX100R Hyabusa.

Get the GSXR750. Great bike very fast but very very rideable. Hydraulic clutch and a 1/4 turn throttle makes it eayer. If you buy a 600 you will want to sell it in a year. A 750 has great growing room.

I would not recomend a slow bike if your plans are to ride a Sport bike in the future. I have seen it happen to many times..A guy gets him a 450 dual purpose and learns to man handle it, steps up to a 750 or higher and wamm..gets slammed on the pavement because everything happens allot faster.

The new sport bikes like the gextr are light, nimble and handle like they are on rails.

Just remember this...It will hurt you, ride it with respect and you can enjoy it for many of years.

There are 2 types of motorcycle riders out there...Those who have been down and those who will go down. It is up to you on how hard and soon this will happen. Where leathers and don't buy a damm $100 helmet. Is your head not worth more than that? Buy a good Shoei or Arai or Simpson and ride with some since...

bikes

I have a nice DUCATI for sale. Good torque, makes it easy to ride. I would stay away for 600's that you half to rev to the moon to get moving. There like giant 125's they don't move till you hit 7500 rpm.

like was said,it all depends on what you want to do.

if you want to ride a sportbike don't be afraid of a cbr/yzf/gsxr 600.i realized after my first summer that i could have easily started on a 750.the power difference is not that great,if you're going to kill yourself on a 600 you're going to do it on a 750 too.

i've ridden all manner of sportbikes...my cbr,yzf600,gsxr750,vfr800,rc-51...they're all cool,all fast,all easy to stay alive on or get killed on.it all depends on you.you know yourself the best.if you want to get a sportbike so you can do big wheelies in traffic and try to pick up chicks you will probably dead within a month.if you're more level-headed and aware you'll do better:).

whatever you do,don't buy a "dual purpose" bike.if you want a dirtbike,buy a dirtbike.if you want a streetbike,buy a streetbike.if you buy something that's supposed to do both,it will,barely.probably just enough of both to be marginally above useless.

i can't wait until the rain lets up so i can ride my bike every day.i just put new d207's on it and nice new brakes:).

later,sean

Find a mid '80s Honda V45 Magna...not too big, not too small, lots of power for a first bike, fairly reliable & bulletproof, easy to handle...and you can probably pick up one that been well taken care of for around $2000...

I have had a couple bikes, not sport bikes though. My brother had a couple sport bikes and I drive them a couple times. DO NOT get one of those for your first bike. You will be tempted to go way to fast and end up dead. I got rid of my bike and I am very tempted to get another one but each time I think about it I remember why I got rid of it. I was at a gas station getting gas on a busy road. While sitting there I saw this guy go by on a rice rocket. I watched him drive down the street. There is a Community College across from this gas station and the entrance is further down the street. He was cruising along (probably too fast for this street) and someone pulled out in front of him from the college. He hit the car and he and the motorcycle when flying. He was turning to try and avoid the car and he ended up flying across the street and bouncing off a Papa Ginos. The bike went a little different angle and ended up on the other side of the Papa Ginos and landed in the parking lot. Easy 60' trip for driver and 75' trip for the bike.

I went in to pay for my gas and asked the guy working there if he saw it too and he said, "Yeah and that guy is a friend of mine, he just got the bike 2 days ago." I went to this station regularly and the next time I was there I asked the guy what happened to the kid. He said both his legs broke in multiple places, broken ribs, arms and a punctured lung.

Seeing something like that first hand really changes your mind. Of course people always say, "It won't happen to me, I am a good driver!" I say that myself. But, this kid probably wasn't thinking someone would just pull out and cut him off. If you buy a bike I recommend something like the Honda Magna mentioned above. Get some experience before buying a rice rocket and be careful.

oh,that's right.i forgot that cars only pull out in front of sportbikes.:rolleyes:

my cbr was my first bike.but i'm not a 19 year old kid hauling ass past a college with my head up my ass...

Am I missing something? Did you somehow take offense to what I said? I was simply answering the original question. I didn't say they only pulled out in front of sport bikes, that just happened to be the kind of bike I saw get in an accident. I also didn't say the kid was 19 and hauling ass. I don't know how old he was and he was doing average speed as it is a busy road and there was traffic.

MissingMy Buick did ask if sport bikes were good for beginners and that is what i was addressing. I personally don't think so. I also don't recall him saying how old HE was since he was the one asking the question.

Check out a buell blast and go used so if you drop it while learning, you won't be so hard on yourself. And the most important step: Take the motorcycle riding course. You can get the number from any of the motorcycle dealers in your area. Some even offer it if you buy the bike through them....

Never ridden before I started with a Ninga 250, Almost the same size of a 600-750 and had good power in the city, on the highway it was getting up there in the revs but still good enough for 1/2hr trips. Becouse of its light weight it was extremely easy to drive and corner(very good for a beginer) Bought it for $1800., put almost 5k mi on it in the first yr. , sold it for $1700. this after droping it twice!!
Next year stepped up to the GSXR600, crashed it within the 1st month(because of bad tires and too much speed into the corner)
Had a kid, sold it and never look back:(

Ninga 250 Excellent beginers bike..

jy211 said it....take the MSF beginners course.

http://www.msf-usa.org/pages/ridertrainingfs.html

This is the best thing you could do. The beginners class even supplies the motorcycles. Your survival on the street depends on your skill level.....this course teaches you how to survive.

It's not the speed that kills....it's the sudden stop. I've seen riders fall off going 120mph and walk away. Good helmet, full leathers, back protector, gloves, boots.

Take the course...find a cheap bike for $1000 or less. Spend most of your money on equipment (if your really serious). Spend some time riding. At first it will be sensory overload.

THEN spend the $$$ on your "dream bike".

John

Thanks for all of your advice guys. Just so you guys know I am 22 years old and I am married. And I am not getting a bike so I can do wheelies and pick up chicks. The reasons I want a bike are for better gas mileage and for the excitement. And I am definitely going to take the safety course ( my wife wouldn't have it any other way) and I will be wearing all the proper gear.

First off, be prepared to spend a large amount of money on riding equipment. Buy a good quality helmet, boots, and jacket. And NEVER ride without them, regardless how warm or uncomfortable you might feel. Secondly, be prepared to take as many riding courses as you can. Learn threshhold breaking and "push steering". Contrary to what people say, if you are a respectful and careful rider you may never experience dropping or crashing your bike. But ALWAYS be prepared for it. I know many motorcycle instructors who have never had a collision or accident during their riding career.

i took the MSF course last spring, and it was very good. $175 for everything, and here we even got our liscense at the end of the course. my bike is an excellent first bike. 1985 gpz550, 65 hp, about 460 lbs, very comfortable and upright riding position, but also sporty enough to have some fun. i bought mine for $800 and havent regretted it yet.

Take the safety course.

Look at this bike.

cb700sc

Its the Nighthawk S - made in the early-mid eighties, real nice looking standard type bike, looks sporty, comfortable, easy to ride and last forever.

http://members.aol.com/mojorisnn/myhawk2.jpg

There is somebodys sample....

Its the bike I learned to ride on and hope to have one again!

I started an a ZX11, the fastest sportbike back then. I put 10,000 miles on it. Never crashed it!, All my friends crashed there's trying to keep up with me. It's all up to the rider. Oh yea I use to race motocross though, that may have helped!!!

The best beginner bike ( if you want a sportbike ) is a zx7r. The reason is because it is very heavy for a sportbike also very stable, and very predictable. If you are looking to get a new bike I definatly would not go with a gsx-r 750. It is very powerful and will put you on your ass very quick.

Like others have said in most cases it is not if you will fall it is how soon. I currently ride a gsx-r 1000. If you try this bike as a beginner you will be dead before you get around the block. Take your time don't ever lose respect and you will be fine. If your nuts drop quick you will go down quick!

There is still no rush like a 140+ wheelie:D :D