Motor tick

Sal Lubrano

A friends motor has about 5-10k miles on his cam and lifters. When he frst starts it in the morning it has a tick,tick sound which lasts no more than 10 ticks, a second maybe then fades away not to be heard of again for the day no matter how many times the car is turned off and restarted. BUt the next morning it does it again. Can this be easily fixed or don't even worry about it.
Would like to fix it though? Any advice??

Sal Lubrano said:
Thank you for the reply. Is there anything to do about it? Is it hurting the motor?
people say it depends on what oil filter you buy with or without anti drainback valve i trid all with the same results

Which oil filter are you using? Some filters have a baffle which allows the oil to leak down of the engine causing a dry start up. Try a NAPA filter. Either the stock or biggie (1258).

Hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank it for a couple of seconds on cold startup. Then take your foot off the gas and start it.
Does it still do it?

Wow. I was actually right about something for once. :)
All I think I know is that it won't start with the gas pedal floored on a cold start, but that will get the oil pump working.
Others will have to tell you more as to why that worked.
Maybe the lifters have to pump up. ?
I dunno, but stick an AC PF-52 filter on there (fill it before you install it) and see what happens.
Regardless, it doesn't seem like you have a big problem - and that's a good thing.

Paul Clark said:
Wow. I was actually right about something for once. :)
All I think I know is that it won't start with the gas pedal floored on a cold start, but that will get the oil pump working.
Others will have to tell you more as to why that worked.
Maybe the lifters have to pump up. ?
I dunno, but stick an AC PF-52 filter on there (fill it before you install it) and see what happens.
Regardless, it doesn't seem like you have a big problem - and that's a good thing.
lifters bleeding down mine did this since new

I use to have the same startup problem when I used the AC delco filters. They're not very good anymore. Try a NAPA filter. You won't be sorry.

lpaulabbott said:
lifters bleeding down mine did this since new

Mine didn't do it when I first got it (stock 95k mile motor) but does it since I had it rebuilt. Same deal as the original post: only after it sits for a day or more, doesn't do it again once started for the day. The car has developed a valvetrain ticking while running, too. Now that I've had my DS header leak repaired the tick is more obvious. I don't remember if it has been like that since the rebuild or not. Oil pressure at fine (at idle and otherwise). I like the cranking with the pedal to the floor idea. That will get the oil pressure up before it starts.

Jim