Motor Tapping

Azrial89

So a few weeks ago, I posted a thread about my motor tapping, at the time I just poured a can of sea foam in the engine and it went away. Well, now it's back and I don't wanna just add sea foam again. I pulled the valve covers to see if there was anything obviously wrong (by the way, the tap is intermittent and happens at different points in a drive) So when I pulled the valve covers, nothing jumped out at me, and of course the tick was not occurring at the time... But I took a video any ways and wanted to post it to see if anyone had any idea. If you listen close, right as the motor fires up, you can hear the tick but then it goes right away. Well running the car, I noticed the push rods were very slow to pump oil out the top, and when they did, it was one after another,not at the same time. Thanks for your time

In the video, i know that the majority of that tapping is just normal operation, but at times it sounds like a really excited diesel

1987 Grand National Tick With Valve Covers Off - YouTube

I had a sbc that did that one time it was the guide in the head the other time it was a collapsing lifter due to lower oil pressure.

The ticking is because your lifters are not getting pumped up with oil causing the valve lash to be excessive. I know on the big blocks the lifters get their oil from the front cam bearing, this same thing can happen on a big block if that bearing is toast. Not sure if it is the same on the V6 but I would assume that it is not too much different.

The lifters are stock. Sounds like a lot of good input, I appreciate it. Looks like the ol' girl is gonna have to give up her motor for a bit of maintenance

Update on the tapping. It was a lifter that was disintegration. upon the removal of the lifters, i decided to go deeper and found a cam lobe beginning to wipe. Also fuel pressure regulator diaphragm has a tear. So a mini rebuild begins. Thank you for all the help.