Motor knock? Camshaft?

take off the belt and see if the balancer moves :rolleyes: my original TTA wore a 1/4" groove on the keyway :eek:

Two things....

1) I had a knock in my TR that went away when I unloaded the serpentine belt....It was the tensioner.

2) How thick is your oil?

Knock

Hey Grumpy, great idea. I will check it out. I looked at the torque converter but not the crankshaft balancer.

Lee, the oil is Delo Diesel oil to save the camshaft. I think it is 10w30.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Knock

No I have not. I have not had the time to tear into the motor. With the good oil pressure and the miles I have put on the car with it knocking I do not think it is the bottom end. It would have flew apart by now. Still not sure what to even look for. I have been driving the car some though and the knock is still there when the car warms up.

It also still runs rough when it gets warm. If things slow down at work maybe I will have some time to get to the bottom of the knock problem but I do not see that happening soon.

I want to thank everyone for their ideas and suggestions.

James

I have this at all temperatures, but seem to think it is around the tensioner area. If I rev it from an idle it makes the noise maybe 3 times in rapid succession then disappears as soon as its above idle. When left to idle it makes the noise intermitently, with one knock here and one knock there. My car is all stock, so its no race cam. It sounds too loud to be something inside and the guage is registering no knock.

Weird stuff..... :confused:

I had a similar noise. Some times it "ticked" and some times it knocked. It turned out to be my cam sensor. The bronze bushing had worn itself free and was sliding up and down the shaft smacking either end. Take a long screwdriver and put the metal end on the cam sensor cap and the other end on the little cartilage flap of your ear. You'll know if it's the sensor right away.

Motor Knock

Well I finally got around to chasing my motor knock. I replaced the Cam Sensor and the knock is about 80% gone. When the motor gets hot I still can hear the knock but only about 20% as loud as it was. Compared to the new cam sensor the old one had quire a bit of shaft play.

Has anyone hear of a cam sensor making a knocking sound??

I guess my next step will be pulling the front cover and checking out the timing chain, gears and cam button.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I hope my findings help someone in the future.

Jeasen