Motor Carnage

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Pulled the motor last week and removed the pan . I thought I saw a hole in the piston from bottom side . today I pulled the heads and this is what I found .:wtf::wtf::wtf: Could detonation have done this or did something else let go first ? No problems with the other cylinders. Also my son wants to know if " will it buff out , & is that considered negative piston to valve clearance ? ":unsure: Looks like new heads are in order, but not sure on the scratches in that cylinder.

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0143.jpg

Last edited:
Is the cylinder still good or time for new block?
Not sure, the block is 20 over already. The scratches might clean up , but there is a ding about an inch down the bore and not sure how deep it is.
DSCN0141.JPG

Perhaps I missed a News Alert at 11 or the previous thread, but what was going on when things decided to go south?
WOT on street ? At a Track? Loss of FP..No alky? Inquiring minds want to know.

No alky when it happened.... a quick blast from a light... about 22psi boost... 1st to 2nd shift... BOOM. The car had been down since summer 2012. I've been working alot of OT and finally got it back together (intake gasket) and forgot about the alky. My fault , so after I get it back together again it's being converted to E85 . Wife bought the Racetronix double pumper & fuel line kit for Xmas & B-day .:D

No alky when it happened.... a quick blast from a light... about 22psi boost... 1st to 2nd shift... BOOM. The car had been down since summer 2012. I've been working alot of OT and finally got it back together (intake gasket) and forgot about the alky. My fault , so after I get it back together again it's being converted to E85 . Wife bought the Racetronix double pumper & fuel line kit for Xmas & B-day .:D

No freakin sh1t...
I thought as much
That's only about the 10th story I heard like that
I warn people all the time....yeah yeah..It's the bomb alright....

Attachments

• a05e4df3359f2ffdf984dffbd18daae4.jpg
    a05e4df3359f2ffdf984dffbd18daae4.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 169
It wasn't because the alky failed.

I realize that - No - the alky refiller failed.
All or most of the death stories are associated with failing to check alky levels, failing to refill, failing to test alky or something.

Of course - blackgn - I see by the size of your font - you're a little partial to alky. :D
That "bomb" thing wasn't directed at you - I didn't realize you had it in your sig. ;)

YUP, the refiller failed.... It had been down soooo long I crossed the T's & forgot to dot the I's

Don't think anything of it. In this case no alky was the bomb. To the OP sorry to see the damage. I never like to see engine carnage when you work so hard to get back on the road.

Don't think anything of it. In this case no alky was the bomb. To the OP sorry to see the damage. I never like to see engine carnage when you work so hard to get back on the road.

I just think it's a good lesson for the newer entrants to TR land that just wanna "turn up the music boost " - with alky - and have got to realize the ramifications if something goes wrong.
I counsel newer folks to try to be happy with 350 HP and 15 lbs. - until everything is nice and orderly.
It's still plenty dangerous and makes plenty of tire smoke.

Well that will make a nice conversion piece for the garage wall.(y)

Heisenberg don't post anything about alky in this thread. It's a mechanical failure not caused by any fuel system and the thread doesn't need to have any posts about anything alky related. Keep the focus on mechanical failure.