Motherboard manufactures

mcss383

I need some suggestions for reliable mb companies. Abit is supposed to be a good company, but since my board fried and the current prob we are having with my mom's puter (narrowed down to either mb or hd, most likely mb) I just don't trust Abit anymore.

I know Asus has a board with the features I want and Soyo probably does too, but what are some current brands that those on here that work with building new machines like the best?

Asus makes the best motherboards on the planet. They are extremely reliable and kick but in performance.Soyo is ok. I only buy asus. Make sure you have a good quality powersupply, not cheap crap that comes with a $40 case. I buy enermax powersupplies only. How did your mb go bad? Most of the time they only go bad when they get spiked from a cheap power supply. If that is the cause in your situation then that means your processor is fried as well.

Ralph

Well its a really odd problem. If you try to install anything it takes FOREVER no matter which cd drive u use (several hrs) and it takes 15-30min to read a floppy. A local technician said that a bad HD can cause weird things to happen with other IDE drives, or the ide section of the motherboard could be having probs.

We are just going to be sending the machine back to Cyberpowerpc.com and getting one built locally (its for our business, can't wait for any online purchase).

I do still recommend Cyberpower, they have great tech support and didn't give us any probs when we asked to return the pc for a refund and you simply can't beat their prices.

Glad to hear Asus is one of the best out there, I know they have a board that is nearly identical to the Abit one we have (feature-wise)

Speaking of Abit, my BP6 board just recently died. Those dual 366 celerons just couldn't hack it for more than a year of having dead fans on the heatsinks. I think it might have been time to upgrade though anyways.

I have had good luck with Iwill boards also. Asus rocks too.

liked abit's back in the 440BX days (BH6, BE6-2, BX133) my last few mobo's (various P4 chipsets) have been gigabyte's. usually perform near the top and are jam packed with features/extras. asus boards are also good and they've finally started coming around to adding extras to theirs. my suggestion is to read the motherboard roundup's at www.anandtech.com for whatever chipset you're looking at getting. thats the best unbiased site on the net with very detailed reviews.

Abits still rock in my book. Gigabytes are the biggest Pos's I have ever seen. I have built dozens and dozens of Pc's with gigabyte boards because thats what the owner of my co buys. Because they are cheap. They constantly go out, either the video or no power at all. Their tech support sucks and their customer service sucks. I just got back one I sent in April, and it still doesnt work. Same thing I sent it in for, no video and it took me 5 calls to get it back after 5 mos, only to get the same board back still not working. This has happened several times with them. Now they are requiring a 10 dollar handling fee before they will even process an Rma. Gigabyte is THE WORST company, let alone motherboard manufacture I have ever dealt with, and thats saying something. They don't even have a toll free number for support. Gigabyte may have some neat looking features, but their boards and service suck beyond belief.

yeah, some of their low-end models are cheap and i cant speak for them. ive gotten the ones with all the bells and whistles. i dont get ones with onboard video either because onboard video sucks for performance so...

i didnt mean to imply in my last post that abit isnt good anymore, i just havent used any of their p4 stuff. they are still good imo. i just clingged on to the old abit BX based stuff until i finally started having to turn some details down to make stuff run smoothly. then i moved to p4 and tried a gigabyte board (845 based). currently have a 845g based gigabyte.

someone will always have a horror story about a certain brand. nothing is perfect.

anyway, like i suggested above, read those roundups and find the one that fits your needs.

Fair enough Brian, I wasnt trying to come on strong with you really just venting about Gigabyte more than anything. I've been needing to do that for some time:D You are also right in that, their top end boards do seem to be pretty good, and I like the dual bios and all that. Their cheap boards are pure crap, and just the experience I have had with their Rma process has scared me completely away from Gigabyte.

WOW, the 440bx was one of the best chipsets ever, what an overclocker! I miss my abit bh6, kicked but. but asus took over. granted they dont come with extra stuff but there performance and quality,service is bar none.

Ralph

I'm quite partial to the new msi boards, bought one last summer for my p4 1.6a system that was designed to overclock to 2.4 gigs, and its taken the beating great :)

i have a Soyo Dragon Kt 400, and it seems to be a very good board. i used to have a KT333 but i fryed it(im not going to metnion how), but i had bouught the extended warranty about 1 1/2 years ago and so i got the new improved KT400 for free. pretty nice.

-jeff