Mosers new no leak c clip eliminators, anyone running them?

Moser

Installed a set along with Moser's 33 spline axles last fall. Ran the car one last week-end before winter and have had no leakage. Not too many street miles so I can't give you a real good answer on that. I'm running the above in the 8.5 rear end with a Moser spool and factory gears (3.42). Car runs 10.40's @ 129 mph. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply

I am thinking about that exact set up but gun drilled with the star flange. The package with the spool was like $650, not bad if they do not leak.

Did you get an aftermarket driveshaft?

I've been running the mOser kit in the Pumpkin with 33 spline axles for 3 years now, little street miles, lots of 1/4 mile passes......... no problemo..

Cool, if it's still alive and not leaking in your car than I will be fine.

Jack do you have the stock 3.42 still in it?
It sounds like you have the older C clips, did they look like the link above?
What driveshaft do you use in the Pumpkin?

I considered getting the pro 3.73 or 3.42 just to be on the safe side so nothing stupid gets chunked up back there. I like to do it once and forget about it.

I am doing the trans and drivetrain before I call you up Jack for the BB70.
I KNOW that turbo will cause some carnage. :eek: :D

Mike,

I ran the 3.73 last year, I didn't like them. Car seemed more violent and unpredictable off the line, making it difficult to launch. On the big end, although I reached my RPM goal, It seemed to take me out of the power range in 3rd gear. Combination is everything when we set up our engine, turbo combinations, the choice of rear end gear is just as important. I'm scraping up the penny to replace my gear back to 3.42's.

For the driveshaft, I have a steel 3" tube with 1350 u-joints, the larger joints. Works nicely, not too expensive and you can get them made up at most any shop that builds driveshafts, usually truck shops such as Fleetprides have driveshaft divisions. As for the c-clips, yes, looks like what I have.
good luck,

sorry, that was me...... didn't realize I was under my sweetheart name.... :cool:

I've had the moser c-clip eliminators in my car for two years.... with their 33spline axles, and spool. I'm still running the stock ring and pinion.... Never a leak!

Those looks almost the same as the ones I had installed back in 95 along with new Mosler axles. The only different is across the top of mine are flat and the new ones have a raised area. I have over a 100,000 mostly street miles. The first 50,000 the passenger side would leak anywhere after 5 miles to over 10,000 miles. Wasn't predictable on when it would start leaking. The driver side only leaked 1 time.
Long story short, the shop didn't prep the axle housing, correctly on the passenger side. The instructions said to cut and leave 1/4" or less. It was 3/8" to 7-16". The driver side was done correctly.
I changed the brake shoes every time that *#@* thing leaked. Had to because axle fluid on brakes is very bad.
After many times of changing and re-sealing only the passenger side, I measured the stub. I ground it down to just under the 1/4" and noticed that the bearings in the housing were sealed and needed NO fluid for luberication, so I used a generous application of RTV in the o-ring seal area. That solved the leak for me till I had a bearing go bad. Instead of replacing just the bearing, I order the new housing/brg (like your picture) and installed it on the Mosler axle. No leaks on the driver side in over 50,000 street miles. Just my experience with them.
A note about the newer style.
The raised area will interfer with the bar that goes between the two shoes.

Gary

I will call them up today, sounds like the new ones are leak free and the 33 spline are more common than I thought. I will stick with the stock gears and then figure out what driveshaft to go with, 3.5" sounds like the one that will work.

John Wilde said:
FYI: you can get a Mark Williams Spool for 35 Spline.
not to sound like a shmuck but why run a 35 when the 33's have been holding up just fine in 8 sec. rides?

TurboIndian said:
not to sound like a shmuck but why run a 35 when the 33's have been holding up just fine in 8 sec. rides?

Simple answer, if you want to go faster and your motor makes 300 more hp.

Talked to them today, found out a few things.

Star Flange mod for $25 an axel takes off 3lbs of weight. They did not say if it was each axel or total but for $50 that seems worth it to me.

Gun Drilling mod for $100 only took of 1/2lb????
That does NOT seem right to me. Why weaken the axel for 1/2lb and for $100. That can't be correct.

And now I know why they say to run the smallest spline you are making power for, its just axel weight. Every addition of 2 splines increases the axel weight about 2lbs.

John Wilde said:
Simple answer, if you want to go faster and your motor makes 300 more hp.
yes that is true but how many cars, let me rephrase that, how many TR's are out there making over 1000hp, (I'm not saying there out there, but few & far between) & that warrant the extra strength & weight of a 35 spline axle?

TurboIndian said:
yes that is true but how many cars, let me rephrase that, how many TR's are out there making over 1000hp, (I'm not saying there out there, but few & far between) & that warrant the extra strength & weight of a 35 spline axle?

I understand your point and I am not trying to be a difficult.
To answer your question, 3 of my friends that I help with their combinations and my car will or do make more.