Moser 9" or keep my 8.5"

Hy82e

I'm at a crossroad here guys please help.

I currently have a fresh (less than 50 mile) 8.5" to put under my mild cammed LS 6.0 swap Regal.
The rear end was setup for drag so it currently has a Richmond mini-spool, a 4.10 gear set, and Moser stock replacement axles all new.

I'm setting the car up for daily street use, but I'd like to be ready to head to the track and make a few passes without worries. If I run this rear I will be swapping a posi in it. Hopefully a Stocker clutch type if I can find a good deal. (Anyone feel free to PM me on that).

Ok so my dilemma.
I've recently been given the chance to trade into a New Moser 9" 31 spline axles, a 3.50 Trac-loc third member, and a complete LS1 rear disc brake set up. Even swap for my rear.

My motor combo goals are about 400-450 rwhp. So either rear end will live long time behind my setup so is the extraweight and claimed 2-3% ppower loss justifiable in my case?
My thoughts now are to jump on the trade cause it feels in general to be a trade up. Finish the build with the 9" tune it it in and play with it. If I somehow feel like I'm losing anything with the 9" offer someone that thinks they can use it the same trade deal later.

Opinions please.

Hy82e said:
I'm at a crossroad here guys please help.

I currently have a fresh (less than 50 mile) 8.5" to put under my mild cammed LS 6.0 swap Regal.
The rear end was setup for drag so it currently has a Richmond mini-spool, a 4.10 gear set, and Moser stock replacement axles all new.

I'm setting the car up for daily street use, but I'd like to be ready to head to the track and make a few passes without worries. If I run this rear I will be swapping a posi in it. Hopefully a Stocker clutch type if I can find a good deal. (Anyone feel free to PM me on that).

Ok so my dilemma.
I've recently been given the chance to trade into a New Moser 9" 31 spline axles, a 3.50 Trac-loc third member, and a complete LS1 rear disc brake set up. Even swap for my rear.

My motor combo goals are about 400-450 rwhp. So either rear end will live long time behind my setup so is the extraweight and claimed 2-3% ppower loss justifiable in my case?
My thoughts now are to jump on the trade cause it feels in general to be a trade up. Finish the build with the 9" tune it it in and play with it. If I somehow feel like I'm losing anything with the 9" offer someone that thinks they can use it the same trade deal later.

Opinions please.

From what I have seen, the 9" is stronger and will last longrr under a car with power than the 8.5. You didnt mention axle retention in your 8.5, like a c clip eliminator kit, which is a big thing, and a major advantage of the 9" over the 8.5 with how the axles are kept together in the event you break an axle or the c clip. Happens a lot on the stock rear. And you Moser stock replacements are just that: stock.

I would go 9" and forget about worrying about the rear from then on.

Thanks for the reply Squid,
Yes it is set up with c-clips.
What are your thoughts as far as trade value from one rear to another. I ask cause I'm on a poor mans budget. 20% of this build runs in budget funds, and 80% on trade. Lol

I would go for the 9" if it isn't going to cost anything. You aren't going to break either. The Moser axles rarely break and at that power, I doubt a stock set would.

The 9" is a much better, stronger, and easily more sellable than an 8.5. Especially an 8.5 with a cheap spool. Your much better off running the trac loc on the street over a spool. Trade him NOW!!!! I've used many many Ford 9" rear ends and couldnt be happier with them.

Haha, I see where this is going thanks everybody. I tend to over think most things, but I'm not going to snooze on this one.

To give a different perspective here, The 9" will require more power to turn it and weighs more. Yes, it will hold up better than the stock 8.5" and if you can get into it for nothing more than a swap I'd honestly think about it.

Before

Attachments

• IMG_20121213_193536[1].jpg
    IMG_20121213_193536[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 149
You'll have to go even stronger,a currie 9" is rated at 435hp...i fried mine freshly rebuild in less 3 months, (3:20's, track-lock,about 520rwhp,22psi)
I went with an extra webbed center section, a locker unit,billet internals now, crossing fingers....;^)

You'll have to go even stronger,a currie 9" is rated at 435hp...i fried mine freshly rebuild in less 3 months, (3:20's, track-lock,about 520rwhp,22psi)
I went with an extra webbed center section, a locker unit,billet internals now, crossing fingers....;^)
What caused the failure? What is the weak link in the currie 9" ?

What caused the failure? What is the weak link in the currie 9" ?

The failure was to much HP to it.It knife edged the gears. My drivlines shop solution was adding a extra webbed center section, a detroit locker unit,billet internals/caps

Hello thanks for the input. It appears you have taken some serious steps to build a "worry free" rear end.

I should have been more specific in my question.

My understanding is that the most common weak link is the case itself. If its not clear in the picture mine has the standard truck center, but I hear the best stocker to have is the nobular case. I don't know what vehicle it was available in.

Could you pin point the failure in your situation in the case? Are you now using a aftermarket case? Again thanks.

Could you pin point the failure in your situation in the case? Are you now using a aftermarket case? Again thanks.

I'm just going by what my driveline guy's said, they had just rebuilt the bolt-in currie 9" for g-bodys i use,I went from 3:50 gear to 3:20,we had miscommunication on my HP rating,they thought i said 500hp at the motor,(making just over 400 at the wheels,I'm over 630hp,so over 500hp to the rear...The caps flexed,It burnt the gear set out of it in less 3 months of street play at only 22psi,They said what i had wasn't enough an built this for me now to hold 800hp bout 700hp to the rear, Here's photo's of the new unit. The case has extra webbing,caps are billet,an Detroit locker. this is street car..so we'll see what happens. ( i added traction control,what the hell...)

IMG_3168.JPGIMG_3169.JPG11-8-12.JPG

Thanks Hello now I get the picture, both figuratively and literally.

Beautiful setup!! Looks just like mine. Then my alarm goes off, and its time to get up to go to work. Lol

just click on it,there thumbnails, for you too post a pic ,click Upload a File next to the post button, make sure the photo's not to big,might have to have a certin amount of post first

just click on it,there thumbnails, for you too post a pic ,click Upload a File next to the post button, make sure the photo's not to big,might have to have a certin amount of post first
Thanks for the tip. Your car looks awesome!

I have a Currie 9 inch with the Trac-Loc. Already had to have the posi reshimmed once. Went peg leg again in no time.

I am a bit hard on it cornering while unloading a rear tire. Currie told me get a detroit. I am trying a Moser WaveTrac. UPS guy just brought it.