Moron A/C question

SavageATL

I am trying to recharge the A/C on my GN- I think that's why it isn't working.
I got the can of R134-A, the cheap gauge that comes with the retrofit kit from AutoZone, plugged it into the low side accumulator port, turned on the A/C and started the car. It's not sucking the stuff out of the can. Yes, I pierced the can top etc. I saw that the compressor kicked in once but immediately shut off. Do I need to jump the contacts in the pressure switch to make it charge?
I have at least two more cars that need it as well.
by the way a case of 12-12 oz cans of R134a costs about $37 at Sam's-half the price of Autozone.

Other moron question is- my car sputters and coughs in 1st gear from a stop. Usually that means one of the intercooler hoses has come loose but I took off the intercooler, replaced the hoses, tightened everything up and she is still doing it. Car can be hot, cold, whatever. Coil pack was replaced last year. I don't have a scan master so I can't tell you what all the readings are. She only does it in 1st gear from a stop and accelerates nicely the rest of the time.

If the car is low on freon the compressor will not kick on, you will have to have jump the connector on the low pressure switch. It will take 3 - 4 cans of the stuff from Sams if it's completely out.

The car stumbling from a stop could be a bunch of things, maybe a MAF on its way out or even a TPS.

Before adding any freon, take a test light and make sure you are getting power to the compressor. You could have a full system with a bad low pressure switch. You might also have a plugged expansion orafice. Generally when I fill nearly empty systems, the freon goes in easily and when the pressure switch see's enough pressure, it starts to cycle the compressor. Keep adding until the compressor continously runs and cold air is coming out the vents.

put a digital temp meter in the vent with the fan on high speed. Watch the temp as you put the freon in slowly and wait after each spurt of freon for it to settle. when your temp stops going down and starts to climb.......stop putting freon in and you will be at the max. That is how I did mine and I almost cant drive from the snow crystals hitting me in the face.