Morning Frustration... grrrr

GNGAL

86 GN T-Top
So im putting on a new trans filter.... and cant get the old orangish rubber ring seal out.... any suggestions? im trying to be super careful and not damaged insides

Attachments

• 20150321_101003.jpg
    20150321_101003.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 161
Do you have any dental picks handy? You can find picks with different angles in the tool section of any hardware or auto store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been using a wooden toothpick.... no success. Guess im heading to hardware store....am i looking for a metal one? --- thx

Yes, they come in several shapes. Some are straight, right angle or a hook. The hook type would probably work best for trying to remove that ring.

Use a flat head screw driver. Put the tip on top of the seal and it will easily pry out. Don't worry about damaging the pump because it does not require that much force.
Watch out, those picks can be dangerous.

Last edited:
I have used picks, too. I have also used a 7/16" deep well socket on a long 3/8" extension. I put the end of the socket up into the o-ring and then put some pressure on it while trying to work it down / out of the pump. I was able to remove the stuck o-ring without any problems.

Craig

So im putting on a new trans filter.... and cant get the old orangish rubber ring seal out.... any suggestions? im trying to be super careful and not damaged insides
Use a medium flat head screwdriver and push one side of seal up into the pump, it will rotate the seal and then just pull it out. Causes no damage to pump and very simple.

I have a tool I made out of a broken spring compressor that quickly removes the seals without scratching the bore.

I use a 8d nail. Put the head of the nail under the seal and pull with a pair of pliers. Comes right out.