Morel roller lifter question

whoosh47

I,m attempting to adjust the valve lash with my new HS roller rockers and Morel roller lifters . I have noticed that some morel lifters collapse very easily and some act solid (no movement at all) . So I don,t know where zero lash is at and I don,t like that some lifters springs act differently that others.

Adjust them until the push rod has no up and down movement with the lifter on the heel of the cam and you will be at zero lash. Don't compress the spring on the lifters that are not pumped up. Adjust the intake just as the exhaust valve starts to open and the exhaust when the intake is almost closed. Then adjust to the preload you want. The lifters will pump up when the engine is started.

After going thru all 12 lifters to set the pre load I found that 2 didn't collapse like the other 10 did. So does that mean that the two had oil in them not allowing them to collapse or are they stuck and need further attention ?

I went thru something similar.

I ordered new morels from a vendor on here and some wouldn’t press down right out the box.

I ended up oiling them as recommended and after some heavy force i got them to move. Then I installed and adjusted the proper preload also using HS rockers. Once the car was running there were a few loud ticks going on. I have a thread on here explaining this.

CD2 oil detergent was added as a couple of members recommended and it did quite down. But it only lasted a few minutes.

I must have had the valve covers off and readjusted the preload about 4 times.

After some time messing with them i decided to get rid of them. I ordered comp 885’s and they work and sound perfect from the go.

Definitely worth the extra cash.

D

Well after reading the thread about noisy comp lifters I'm not sure what to do. I went with the roller setup for the reliability but I guess that word and turbo buick don't go together.

I believe the noisy comps were a different model. 853 or something.

A lot of the top dogs on here go with the 885’s. I believe Bison even stated his like of them.

Good luck.
D

I'm not buying any more comps' of any part # until I see some indication that they have solved their manufacturing problems.The parts are downright crude on the internal fit and finish.

The Comp 885's are the noisy lifters everyone complains about. Some say they are quiet and some say they are noisy. I think it depends on the cam profile. Mine are noisy but work well up to 6500 RPM. The 885's are short travel lifters and will not pump up and float if adjusted to zero lash. Comp no longer lists them in their catalog.

I have the so called junk noisy comp 853 roller lifters. But to me they are not noisy and work perfect after over 5 years of use. When i first bought them and was checking them out i would press down on the plunger with a pushrod and it sounded like they had gravel inside and made like a crunching noise. I spent about a week soaking them in mineral spirits,spraying PB Blaster into them and kept pressing down on them with the pushrod until they moved freely and without making any noise. I then took them to my engine builder to have him check them out and he put them into his parts cleaning tank for a few minutes and then blew them out with compressed air and did the pushrod check and he said they would be alright to use,just for me to dip them in oil before installing them,and not to soak them in the oil.

There can be a problem with the 853 lifters when pre-load is not set correct. This is not for all 853's. A part can break in the lifter causing them to be extremely loud and fail. I have warrantied a few sets and they all had the same problem. I can no longer get them fixed as they are comp parts and they are there responsibility. I am the only vendor that has the 885 lifter now, our part number is different and updates have been made.. Comps directions are not clear and need to have the correct pre-load for them to operate as designed. The 885 is a reduced travel lifter, I now have a standard travel version and a short travel version as well as a solid version.

I decided to carry my own lifters after all the problems I have encountered using others. Some of which has been posted on this thread.

Pull the lifters out and find a socket that fits over the wheel but engages the body firmly. Then get a deep 1/4" socket that fits in the lifter cup.

Then take a vice or large C clamp and give it a squish. That will eject the thick manufacturing goo and make preload settings possible and accurate.