morel lifter preload

chriss4655

New motor build, weber 212/206 roller cam kit with morel lifters and push rods. I checked the lifter preload and I ended up with between .060 & .085 preload , I'am running non adjustable valve train. Is this OK !!!!

What size pushrods did you use? I'm putting together a motor now and pushrods are next on the to buy list. What rocker arms are you running?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Buy a pushrod length checker to know were your at ! 8.050 is the push rod length that came with the kit. Morel lifters also came with the kit !! My build is on hold to find out if I have the right amount of lifter preload !!! Heavy duty T/A shafts with supports .....

I made a pushrod length checker today and 8.050 would be too long for what I have. Mine are going to end up at about 7.9375 + .030 preload. Block has been decked, heads are Champion CNC irons and Cometic gaskets.

I would say that .085 preload is a bit excessive. Where did you measure to get different preload numbers?

Same decked block ported irons ss valves stock HG , I have different zero lash lengths not sure why! Made sure t I check each on the heel of the cam !!!

Same decked block ported irons ss valves stock HG , I have different zero lash lengths not sure why! Made sure t I check each on the heel of the cam !!!
Are your valve stem heights even? Put a straight edge across the stems and have a looksie.

I checked my stock motor and there is easily .090 or more . this is right from GM !!!! Crazy !!! I have read posted from this sight and guys have picked up a bunch of horse power by getting the lifter preload in check !!

My suggestion was to grab a shim kit for Mopar shaft mount rockers some ford push rods and throw it together!!
I wanna see this thing run. :p

How does the geometry look with the stock rocker arm? This one I'm working on is questionable. Btw, I came up with 7.95 for pushrod length after very careful measuring and accurate tools.

You can get the push rod checking tool and custom length push rods from MM and others. The checking tool will give you a different length that measuring the tube end to end with a caliper. (Do a search on here if you doubt me). Mike Licht suggested in a previous thread that I use .040" preload on the Morels rather than the .025" mentioned by Phoneguy in post #9 above. Mike's reasoning was that our engines will run quieter that way and also, since they do not turn ginormous RPMs they need a little more PL to pump up.

Just re-read your post--even though the Morel directions called for .025" you used the full turn--- Is your valve train fairly quiet?

Thanks.
Fairly....
Most of the noise comes from the tie bars not the hydraulics , i wish someone could figure out a way to quiet them.

Bryan

mine has that sewing machine sound worse inside the car than out they work like a hot damn though.
I followed my advice and did not measure I'm pretty sure my preload is in excess or .050, pulls all the way to 6000 rpm and it has never sneezed thru the intake at high rpm.