Morel Lifter/Lifter Bore

turboz4life

I have a 215/220 roller cam with the Morel roller lifters that I am trying to degree. Upon putting the lifters into the lifter bore, the hexagon area of the lifter appears to be making contact with the top of the lifter bore. Upon installing a couple pushrods and roller rockers and attempting to turn the engine over, it becomes apparent that the lifter does touch the bore and the engine will not turn any further. Am I missing something with these lifters?

pics are worth a lot of words and such.

Maybe the lift is too big?

D

Your wording of the issue is a bit confusing. Hexagon part of the lifter? Pics as mentioned above?

Pictures of said lifters in the bores. They just seem to go too far into the bore and the edge is hitting on the top of the lifter bore.

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 195
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    662.2 KB · Views: 196
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    564.7 KB · Views: 189
111SL539.jpg
Looks normal too me as when on or near base circle thats all your going to see sticking up. Are you feeling the engine sieze when turning it over?

Looks normal to me.

Did you measure for proper pushrod length?

Can you post a pick of the lifters out of the car?

I still don't understand what's hitting?

maybe a short video of you rotating the motor and pointing out exactly what's happening that you think is a problem.

D

D

the flat portion of the upper part of the lifter just below the tie bar is making contact with the lifter bore of the block which prevents the engine from being turned over by hand. it is making contact with the lifter bore without the pushrod in place. hope this helps. thanks.

I am assuming this is a new setup. Try taking the lifters out and turning over the engine. If the crank is off 180 and you line up the timing marks you could have binding issues.

the flat portion of the upper part of the lifter just below the tie bar is making contact with the lifter bore of the block which prevents the engine from being turned over by hand. it is making contact with the lifter bore without the pushrod in place. hope this helps. thanks.

Wow! Jim.

97 posts since 2001 and you first since october 2014.

It takes a lot to get you out here. Welcome back. :)

I’m assuming the flat portion of the upper part of the lifter was round at one point with the rest of the lifter and then machined flat.

Does that make sense? Am I missing something here?

D

tie bars arnt to short and pushing the lifters away from each other??.the flats can go down into the lifter bore no worries maybe you have piston to valve impact

I wouldn't think that a lifter hitting on the way down would ever cause the engine not to turn, but it would hang the valve open. I think you have some other issues to look at.

Hard to tell for sure in the pics(pic #1), but almost looks like the cam is not pushed far enough back, or is too far back.

Pic #2 shows that the tie bar is shoved towards the one lifter so far that the slot in the bar is showing past the slot.
Are you sure these are the correct lifters for the v-sicks lifter spacing??
Post # 13 mentions this, also.

I still don't get it as the flat part of the lifter below the tie bar is smaller than the od of the lifter body. If the rivot/pin that's holding the tie bar in is hitting when on base circle then I would question the lifter being the wrong one for the buick v6 as Chuck mentioned. Check and answer to what everyone is recommending as its good advice. What's your end play on the cam and the retention device?