Morel clacking

matt921

So recently my clacking has become more pronounced and honestly it's pissing me off. It sounds like there is one louder then the other on the passanger side. I have read a few posts on here. Is there any way to get around this. I am still running the stock stamped rockers so I know I will get some noise. I have roller rockets but need to get valve

Comp cams has a push rod checker you can use to measure zero lash, then you can buy the right length to get the lash you want. Comp sells push rods starting 8.000" in .025" increments. PIA to do on the car though. Setting a little more lash, all else being good will be more quiet. Mine clack a little set up mainly between .025 and .035 with a couple over that, but less than .050. Not going to be perfect doing it this way unless your heads are "perfect". I just did not have the assortment of push rods at the time to get them all .025 to .035 which is what I was shooting for. If you get them all around .050 lash, they should be quiet. Not sure if it costs any performance.

Yeah I have the checker. I got 8 even and bought 8.050 for preload. But it's still clacky. I though well maybe .050 was to much so I was like eff it I'll buy 8.00 and it was so bad it made my knock sensor read as knock.

Maybe something else, like push rod clearance through the head. I used TA heavy shafts with there stock replacement rockers. The rockers are left and right handed, so no issue with push rod clearance. Someone else may chime in with more info/advice.

See that's what is weird with mine. I have stock rockers but there are no l or r stamped on them. I have rebuilt them so maybe I put them together wrong. I checked the push rods and they don't seem to be touching the heads

The stockers don't have a left and right, just the TA replacements. If you rotate through a cycle with no clearance problems, I would guess not an issue. It may be worth double checking the required push rod length on the passenger side.

I set mine up at 050 and they were louder than when I set them to 035. Just my 02 cents.

I might have to try that. I got some at on track but I haven't had a chance to go grab them

Yea mine was more roller rocker geometry related but since you have stamped ones I can't tell you it will help or not.

image.jpeg
I had some ticking goin on under my DS cover thought it was my moral lifters turned out to be my stock rockers staring to break

Lay a straight edge across the top of the valve stems if the loud one is much different than the rest you may need a different pushrod for that valve. Call if you need help
Mike

What morel lifter?

Oil pressure verified?

Does the noise come and go?
The ones from fullthrottle's cam kit. Oil pressure 60-75 cold 15-20 hot idle. When its first start up its not bad at all. As it warms up it starts to get louder.

So I think I might have a lifter that collapsed. Which would really sucks cause they are less then 5 months old. I put my roller rockers on and there was one that was very weak as I preloaded it adjusting the rocker on intake cylinder 5.

Not uncommon for a hydraulic lifter to feel mushy while others don't. Like Chuck mentions, they should pump up with oil pressure. If it was collapsed, the plunger would be bottomed in the lifter and would not return at all.

I had a problem with morel short travel lifters that acted the same way as you describe. They were quiet on startup then would get louder as the motor warmed up. Then there was a few points I thought it was going to clear up. The noise would kinda quiet down then all the sudden it would get loud again. Very frustrating.

I was being told it was a adjustment issue and I had them too tight. To me that made no sense. If they were too tight, the valves would be hung open and the motor would not run right. So I ran through adjustment again and no change.

After beating my head against the wall and wasting a ton of time, I got some 885 lifters and sent the morels back. I was told the morels were checked out by the manufacturer and received a clean bill of health. I don't know what the problem could have been but have had no issues with the 885's.

Last edited:
I have them set at 3/4 from zero lash. My zero is to lift pushrod up and down till I had no up and down movement. Then 3/4 from that. When I felt like that one was very weak was went I was adjusting the allen. It honestly felt as if it was just way to easy to turn. Was just odd that 1 of 12 felt that weak. Though the car did sit for about 2 weeks. I'll check them again now that I have been driving it.

But that is about how mine are a little quieter cold then louder as they warm up. Running Lucas oil stabilizer did help before I swapped to the serpentine belt set up.