more turbo buick history

lightningdan

hey guys,

i was wondering if there was any good places or books to where i can learn more of the turbo buicks history. i bought the black air dvd and i loved it, but still have thousands of questions? like is there a list of how many t-types were made? and how many different color t-types? how many GNs were made ( i think somewhere in the 20k range?) another thing is i heard a rumor about GNX548? is there such a thing? another question is how did the GN 3.8 get into the formula?

i was under the impression that the t-type came first, then the GN, but after watching black air. all they talked about was the GN and it seems to me after watching it the GN came first? lol im just thirsty for some turbo buick history! , any guidance is greatly appreciated!!

thanks

liv4gnz said:
relating to buick history question, what does the T stand for in turb t?

Touring

For the one asking about history you might search eBay n half.com for a copy of Dennis kirbans book and the book that came with the GnX .

IMAG0033.jpg

Did you watch the bonus material on the DVD Some good presentation given there with lotta info.

Did you watch the bonus material on the DVD Some good presentation given there with lotta info.

u know when i threw the dvd in, it didnt have a menu screen it just loaded, i didnt know there was a bonus section, how to u access that? i bought a legit copy from GNmovie.com

thank you im going to look into that!
Not a lot of printed info on Be4Black cars that I'm aware of. Turbo Coupes have been around since '79 with the carbed turbo. T-Type badging made its debut in '83 I believe.Though the Grand National was first introduced with 215 copies in '82 though a select few were equipped with the turbo 3.8 engine, most were the n/a 4.1 L.
The SFI 3.8 Turbo was introduced in 1984 in the T-Types and Grand National. This was also the first year for the 8.5 ten bolt rear and the "good" 2004r transmissions from the factory.
1986 saw the intercooler added along with an additional 35 hp rating from the factory and 1987 got an additional 10 hp in the factory rating to stay ahead of the Corvette. 1987 also saw the WE4 Turbo T package introduced to try to keep the exclusivity of the Grand National but that didn't work out as the factory planned. The T-Type Package was dropped and the T(Y56) pkg was added. This didnt include the LC2 turbo 3.8 so there are '87 cars floating around with the v8. But to get the LC2 the y56 was required. This could have been had on the base Regal, and for '87, also the upscale Limited getting the buyer the nicer interior. Toward the end of '87 the Grand National made the jump from option we2, to its own model. This got the posi as standard equipment adding confusion to the 'was it standard equipment or an option' debate. Lots of stuff happened in a short four year span and then the G Body was dropped thus ending the run of the Turbo Regal from GM.

As mentioned above the gnttype.org has production figures and lots of info.

u know when i threw the dvd in, it didnt have a menu screen it just loaded, i didnt know there was a bonus section, how to u access that? i bought a legit copy from GNmovie.com

pop it in your DVD and hit menu button on remote or if your watching Black Air again after credits run the menu pops up and you can chose one of the two bonus presentations.

x2 on Kirban's book one of the best amazon buys I made.

also if you buy the dvd of BPG 2012 there are a couple more good presentations there.

Not a lot of printed info on Be4Black cars that I'm aware of. Turbo Coupes have been around since '79 with the carbed turbo. T-Type badging made its debut in '83 I believe.Though the Grand National was first introduced with 215 copies in '82 though a select few were equipped with the turbo 3.8 engine, most were the n/a 4.1 L.
The SFI 3.8 Turbo was introduced in 1984 in the T-Types and Grand National. This was also the first year for the 8.5 ten bolt rear and the "good" 2004r transmissions from the factory.
1986 saw the intercooler added along with an additional 35 hp rating from the factory and 1987 got an additional 10 hp in the factory rating to stay ahead of the Corvette. 1987 also saw the WE4 Turbo T package introduced to try to keep the exclusivity of the Grand National but that didn't work out as the factory planned. The T-Type Package was dropped and the T(Y56) pkg was added. This didnt include the LC2 turbo 3.8 so there are '87 cars floating around with the v8. But to get the LC2 the y56 was required. This could have been had on the base Regal, and for '87, also the upscale Limited getting the buyer the nicer interior. Toward the end of '87 the Grand National made the jump from option we2, to its own model. This got the posi as standard equipment adding confusion to the 'was it standard equipment or an option' debate. Lots of stuff happened in a short four year span and then the G Body was dropped thus ending the run of the Turbo Regal from GM.

As mentioned above the gnttype.org has production figures and lots of info.

thank you very much for clearing that up, i was on the gnttype.org site and saw the production numbers, but it didnt have the production number of colors..

i would love to find a we4. thats my goal, there is a local guy selling his come spring time but its really in hard shape and has ttops, im not looking for a ttop car.. even though some say its even rarer

there are a few project GNs in my area too, i drive by one twice a day, but it needs ALLOT of work..

im still learning and love researching the car, i send allot time on here too researching but figure im going to start my own blue print thread asking on how to get a GN in the 10.90s

well guys thanks for the info im still on the hunt, and gnttype is keeping my busy today lol thanks

pop it in your DVD and hit menu button on remote or if your watching Black Air again after credits run the menu pops up and you can chose one of the two bonus presentations.

x2 on Kirban's book one of the best amazon buys I made.

also if you buy the dvd of BPG 2012 there are a couple more good presentations there.

im trying this once i get home, i appreciate it! i would have never known it existed if u didnt tell me

stuff you might find useful:

list (with pics) on ALL the different colors & models by year: Turbo Buick Regal list

Buick terminology: Buick acronyms & abbreviations

video: BPG 2012 DVD

browse around the site for info on a bunch of related material!

great im going to check this out now!!

as for the bonus footage i watched it last night! really cool info there, does anyone know if they man in the second interview i believe his name was dave. if his pictures are accessibly online anywhere?

i found a "ask xray" thread and havent finished it yet, he too has awesome pictures!! i am a picture hoarder lol i havent found his build thread on his white GNx is there a link i dont know about or cant find?

im really got his GN bug going now...

could u guys tell me how the 3.8 ended up in the 89 gta? and no turbo 3.8s were put in production vehicles in 1988 correct?

There's a good thread that started in the B4black section Dan. It's got a link to an article which explains how the 3.8 turbo ended up in the TTA's.;)