more sound

denn454

turbo swimmer
is there any way to get more turbo whine? i know a bigger turbo would help, but thats pretty expensive. what i would really like is to be able to hear it at idle, doesnt' have to be loud, but i'd like to hear it. i've heard diesels do it and a wrx, sounds cool enough that i want to too.

Ive asked that same question time & time again & never get a direct answer..everyone thinks im talking about turbo whistling when its spooled..mine does that good & loud but when idling it doesnt make any if very lil whine..51 turbo here also..I heard one that whinned at idle that sounded awesome..ws a young kid & he didnt have a clue what size it even was..he said it was a 60 something he thought..I tried to buy his turbo but he wouldnt sale it..I know its no benift to it but damn its intimidating to hear that whistle at idle...
Good Luck,
Brian

I have never really heard a turbo whine or whistle at idle. With an open dump it whines down after the car has been reved. Are you sure your not thinking of a belt driven super-charger? Heard plenty of those whine at idle.

Even with a dump its too loud to hear the turbo whine and the turbo is not spining enough to hear anything at idle anyways. I think you guys are thinking about a SC.

Nope..Its a turbo im thinking of..I know the difference & I seen under the hood of theis GN that was whistling..now..the turbo may have had a bad bearing or an alternator bearing but when he hit the gas you could tell it was the turbo..Its gotta be possible to hear some of them..hell the exhaust wheel is always turning while its running..maybe a certain type exhaust wheel makes it depending on the speed it turns while idling...Actually mine does have a lil whistle but not liek the guys Ive heard before..You wouldnt be able to hear it as well with the dump open while idling because car would be way to loud..this car had full exhaust.
Brian

yea, i saw that someone said that a long time ago, about someone having a gn that whined at idle, guess it was you that said that. I'm sure i've heard turbos ideling, mostly from disels but I think i heard one from a wrx, it wasn't loud, but if you listend you could hear it. I'd also like to have a bit more sound, it can be easly heard at full boost, but i want something that can be heard at 5#, i can hear it then, but i'm really listening for it. I'd like it to be plainly obvious. if its possible.

The turbocharger whines most just before the wastegate opens to dump the exhaust gases. My Quick-Spool boost controller blocks all pressure from reaching the wastegate until a set psi, so it does in-fact make your turbo create that wonderful sound. Not to mention that it spools your turbo to full boost ~800RPM sooner than other boost controllers. :)

You can read more about them here.

email: dcc@japan.com

-DC:cool:

sunful, I read the link on that boost controller, sounds like a pretty cool thing to have. but one thing i dont' understand, can it be used as a dial a boost? whats involved in hooking it up?

Yes, it is similar to a dial-a-boost, but, there are 2 controllers(one under the hood(Quick-Spool), and another inside the car(Micro Bleeder)). The Quick-Spool controller allows the turbo to spool-up ~800rpm sooner than a regular boost controller, and the Micro Bleeder(which is inside the car) allows you to adjust boost higher than your "base" setting(which is set via the Quick-Spool controller). It's all very simple. I include detailed instructions with the kit, and the entire installation shouldn't take more than 20 minutes, and considering the price, it's very hard to beat.

email: dcc@japan.com

yo check it

i do know what you meen by whistle at idle, but that is usually around a rev, like they just reved, just started it up or are reving.

heres what ya do:
i wanted the quick spool up of open dump yet the quietness of closed exhasut and this is what i did: i took the cap to my cutout, which was thicker than most cutout caps (buddy custom made the cutout for me) and my buddy machined a "T" in the surface that went about a quarter of an inch deep. thus producing 3 small exits out the sideds of the cap. do you get what im saying?

it did give me a little faster spool up, and the turbo whistle is alot louder. you can even almost hear it when you let off the gas like when you are open dump! it was a cool idea that worked.

try that out!

of course you could always make a whistle tip for your exhaust, cuz we all know that ......"DA WHISTLES GO WOOOOO WOOOOOO!"

A turbo that whistles at idle would be incredibly restrictive on the top end. Especially the bigger ones, they won't turn at idle at all. How about tossing on some noisy cam gears though? :p

KillrV6,

I do not suggest that approach at all. I thought of the same idea, only I used 3 washers between my cap and the dump. This left roughly a 1-1.5mm space between the two. Yes, it did whistle a bit more, however, there was significant loss of throttle response. Particularly on the bottom end. It may also throw off your tune a bit(unless of course you would want to tune for it for some god forsaken reason). IMHO, it is not worth it at all.

Yup. I've looked into it before. Takes some machining of the front cover to get it to work though. I think kendall may have some experience with it cuz I sure don't.

just a little update here. i found that if you unbolt the cat, and put some small washers between the rear exhaust and the cat you can really bring out the whine. its also a little deeper and a little louder, but doesn't sound half bad. right now i have 2 medium thickness washers in the 2 lower bolts. its not too noisy, but the turbo can really be heard. a dump pipe would be a MUCH better way to do this, but i don't have one.

I noticed that after adding a 3" downpipe and a straight pipe in place of the cat, my turbo became noticably louder. I dont hear it at idle, but cruising around town under light acceleration. When I get into the boost, I hear the turbo more through the intake side.