More Problems!!!@!@! X-Mas Sucks 2 years in a row!

anadaron

Well got all my new goodies from Full throttle(mike is an awesome guy). New Gt6152E is all i got put on.

Had a problem with my old turbo not spooling so i ordered a new one causethe old one was shot to hell(oil coking, bad seals).

Well i go to start the car after it has been sitting for 2 weeks. No power anywhere. check all the fuses nothing wrong. Battery in good working condition. All of a sudden power is back. Go to start it but it makes some weird noises bucks alot and finally fires over. Car idles extremely rough tries to die out on me numerous times. So i turn it off. Also noticed during this time period of idle:

Fuel Pressure dead on, no check engine light. Everything looks good except the oil pressure goes to 80 when you start it then slowly falls to 20 and will not move even when revving engine lovingly.

No weird color smoke from tailpipes. Has been 32 or below for the last two weeks and the car sits in a parking lot no garage i live in an apartment complex. I keep all snow off the car with a car cover and get the snow off of that as soon as the snow stops falling.

Last Xmas i got Tboned by a drunk driver in my project cavalier(mid 11's turbo 04) This year it seems the TR is dieing. Please give me some hope or i am gonna part this thing out and send the body to the scrap yard.

maybe you have a loose battery connection cable. did you let the fuel pump prime?

Battery Connections tight. Fuel pressure Spot on as mentioned in first post. The Starter sounded like it was grinding pretty bad on the times it wouldn't fire over.

But fuel pressure is good.

Battery Connections tight. Fuel pressure Spot on as mentioned in first post. The Starter sounded like it was grinding pretty bad on the times it wouldn't fire over.

But fuel pressure is good.

What about any of the ground cables, including, you know, the "lovely one" behind the head?

could be a bad starter then is it new? just put one on mine first of the year, heavy little sucker. mine was catching some times sometimes it wouldnt it wasnt dead yet but i didnt want to be stranded any where so i just changed it wasnt but about 40 something bucks.

What about any of the ground cables, including, you know, the "lovely one" behind the head?

yes definately, take ea. end & wiggle them all from the battery to where ever especially the one at the starter.

None of this explains the oil pressure not building properly. Why befor it would hold 60 PSI of pressure on startup and now jumps to 80 like it used to. How now it goes to 80 then falls to 20 and doesn't move at all. I don;t mind things like starters and the like but the bucking and almost dieing doesn't make sense combined with the oil pressure problem.

I can see it being a wire problem(i will exmaine it closer tomorrow as it is now dark) but that has nothing to do with oil pressure.

None of this explains the oil pressure not building properly. Why befor it would hold 60 PSI of pressure on startup and now jumps to 80 like it used to. How now it goes to 80 then falls to 20 and doesn't move at all. I don;t mind things like starters and the like but the bucking and almost dieing doesn't make sense combined with the oil pressure problem.

I can see it being a wire problem(i will exmaine it closer tomorrow as it is now dark) but that has nothing to do with oil pressure.

Yeah, you are correct on the oil pressure.
"Shot in the dark": Is the turbo put together correctly? If something is that bad, the pressure could be leaking past the turbo (path of least resistance kind of thing) :confused: Since that is the only thing you changed that could have an effect oil pressure ............. (hmmmmm)

Leaking past the turbo? There is no smoke blowing out the exhaust like my old turbo did when it filled the exhaust side with oil.

Leaking past the turbo? There is no smoke blowing out the exhaust like my old turbo did when it filled the exhaust side with oil.

Like I said, it was a shot in a "cold dark night".
Leaking past the bearings to the return line. What else can it be if the turbo is all you changed?

One more question: Are you using a mechanical gauge?

No it is an electric guage inside the car.

Electrical: Should have asked that before. The pressure issue is most likely electrical related. The "actual" pressure is probably fine, the gauge is playing tricks with your mind.

........... I am so upset by this car i just want it gone.
Trust me, we have ALL been there at one time or another.
Walk away and get a cheapo mechanical gauge, JUST to see where it is.

Ok so first thing in the morning i am going to go back and double check all my Electrical Connections from battery to starter. Check all grounds. Including the hidden one. Can you explain where it is as i have no clue.

I just noticed that it was very wet near my tranny and starter and a large puddle of water on the ground. The puddle had chunks of ice in it. Could there just have been a ton of ice on my starter causing all these problems??? I don't know how that is possible since i had perfexcxt power yesterday and it has been above freezing for 2 days already. But you never know.

Ok so first thing in the morning i am going to go back and double check all my Electrical Connections from battery to starter. Check all grounds. Including the hidden one. Can you explain where it is as i have no clue.

I just noticed that it was very wet near my tranny and starter and a large puddle of water on the ground. The puddle had chunks of ice in it. Could there just have been a ton of ice on my starter causing all these problems??? I don't know how that is possible since i had perfexcxt power yesterday and it has been above freezing for 2 days already. But you never know.

I am pretty sure the ground cables on your car are behind the PS head (By the firewall). One easy way to verify the ground is to run some jumper cables from the neg battery post to the block. Although NOT 100% fool proof to diagnose the problem as it will not gound the ECM etc in itself if, but, may be worth a real quick easy check. At least if you get power with the jumper cable, you know for sure. :cool:

I agree with JerryL,

I think you may have an electrical issue with your battery. If you are not loosing any oil anywhere and your oil pump is good working order, I can't see being a mechanical oil issue.

I can recall a similar issue a few years ago with my '79 T/A, it was all realated to the battery. It was weak enough where it was draining the alternator and making the gauges behave really goofy. This took place Chicago during the cold winter day in February... it was REALLY cold out!

Thanks.

Timing chain couldn't have skipped a tooth due to the extreme cold, could it?
Happened to me once in the middle of Bum***k, Wyo in the dead of winter. Wasn't a tr, though. It ran about like you are describing, though. HTH, Good luck.

"Can you explain where it is as i have no clue. "

One might think the car is entitled to the same "thoughts" regarding parting out the owner at this point. :eek: ;)

Anyway, when you changed the turbo out the main ground wire off the battery goes straight to the lower turbo heavy mounting bracket.

Did you reuse this bracket? and is the ground wire securely bolted to the lower bolt where that housing goes into the front of the head? :confused:

It's a very important main ground point for the car.

Electrical gauges will read very funky with electrical grounding problems.

Try a mechanical one as a first test if you want to before you fix the electrical stuff for peace of mind.

Also a grinding starter isn't usually caused by bad grounds or even a bad positive cable, just mis-alignment gear wise, or it's shot mechanically inside.

That could be another issue as well. :frown:

Check the main cabling before you look at the back of the head stuff, fat black wire from the battery goes right to the front of the head lower turbo bracket bolt.

You may have some condensation or water damage problems (leaks) near the ECM and wiring as well in the passenger footpanel so look there for a problem.

I think you nailed it i took off the turbo bracket entirely i didn't see any cables going to the lower bolt but i will check.

Now the turbo bracket you are referring to is the big one that the heat sheild would bot to right?

The noise or grinding noise is the same i hear when testing starters on cars that have electrical problems. Like low batteries or bad grounds. I can't believe it is that simple. I feel so stupid.

Now my last question is i don't remember a wire connected down there. Is there supposed to be on connected down there?

I think you nailed it i took off the turbo bracket entirely i didn't see any cables going to the lower bolt but i will check.

Now my last question is i don't remember a wire connected down there. Is there supposed to be on connected down there?

Yes, the main ground cable from your battery belongs there, follow it from your battery and see where it is, let us know!