Moog 5658 front spring results

Has anyone installed the 5413's in the rear yet? Just wondering the height the rear fender lip is at from the ground with the 5413's? I have stock springs with a 295/35/R18 stock dia.(26") rear tire and it sits at 26" 3/4" and my front is at 24" 3/4"

Stuart

Rob, post some pics if you could. So you are pretty much where you started, just with a better spring rate than the stockers?

Rob, post some pics if you could. So you are pretty much where you started, just with a better spring rate than the stockers?

JD,

Will post some pics later this week. I have to go to San Antonio for the rest of the week, but will be back Saturday and get the car out (although I need to find some methanol as I am almost out).

Yes, I am pretty happy where it is sitting now, so the spacers worked out good for me. The extra spring rate from the 5658s are preventing any rubbing.

My front is sitting at 26 inches, and my back is at 27. I don't think I will mess it with it anymore, as the slight bit of rake looks good to me. My wife (who really dislikes TRs after she almost spun my first TR around on the road at 45 mph by accident), says it even looks good.

I would highly recommend the SPC spacers for anyone who wants to dial in their ride height if they are a tad bit low. They are available to raise your front end from of an 3/4 inch to two inches with several sizes in between.

I will probably get the GNX flares at some point to make the wheel well appear more filled in.

Thanks for all your help in this Jeremy.

Rob

Hey no prob!! I also want to say thank you for your help! We have been in this one together and really, this gives a good well rounded baseline for people wanting to lower their cars. One thing I have learned from all of this within the past years and compared to when I was new at it all is to not just follow common practice. Meaning, dont always believe what you see in magazines and what BellTech, Hotchkis, Eibach, blah blah blah try to tell you. I've noticed many people like to say they have "this" brand parts on their cars. I just laugh most of the time because I know they have no clue what "those" brand parts are doing for the car. "Polly" bushings are really my pet peave. Everyone says, "Ive got all "Polly" bushings". We know they are horrible for moving parts. Most people dont realize this. They simply think it's a mod! Marcus has been a huge help with all this as well and I sincerely state to anyone wanting to learn more about their suspensions: CALL MARCUS SAVITSKE!! or CHECK OUT Savitske Classic & Custom!!!!!! MARCUS IS THE MAN WHEN IT COMES TO SUSPENSION!!!!!

P.S. I also have to give a good word for Tobin at KORE3 for all the help and advice with the brakes on my car. If anybody needs BIG BRAKE help, give Tobin a call. He is a great guy to deal with and knows his products.

Hey no prob!! I also want to say thank you for your help! We have been in this one together and really, this gives a good well rounded baseline for people wanting to lower their cars. One thing I have learned from all of this within the past years and compared to when I was new at it all is to not just follow common practice. Meaning, dont always believe what you see in magazines and what BellTech, Hotchkis, Eibach, blah blah blah try to tell you. I've noticed many people like to say they have "this" brand parts on their cars. I just laugh most of the time because I know they have no clue what "those" brand parts are doing for the car. "Polly" bushings are really my pet peave. Everyone says, "Ive got all "Polly" bushings". We know they are horrible for moving parts. Most people dont realize this. They simply think it's a mod! Marcus has been a huge help with all this as well and I sincerely state to anyone wanting to learn more about their suspensions: CALL MARCUS SAVITSKE!! or CHECK OUT Savitske Classic & Custom!!!!!! MARCUS IS THE MAN WHEN IT COMES TO SUSPENSION!!!!!

Thanks. About the bushing for the lower control arms - you went with the Moog Problem Solvers, like I did? And you are right about Marcus. He told me ride height is not easy to dial in, but talked me through it to my end result.

Again, has anyone installed the 5413 rear springs??? What's the ride height to the fender lip????

Stuart

Again, has anyone installed the 5413 rear springs??? What's the ride height to the fender lip????

Stuart

Got a set on the way. I'll know this weekend if not sooner. I also have the F body springs I can trim to whatever I want if the 5413's don't work out.

Got a set on the way. I'll know this weekend if not sooner. I also have the F body springs I can trim to whatever I want if the 5413's don't work out.

Haha exact same situation I'm in. Used F-body springs sitting around but thinking about the 5413s since cutting springs is never ideal. Let us know!

Moog 5413 results are in!

Stuart

Here are results of installing Moog 5413 rear springs in my 87 T. From what I've read they were supposed to drop the car 1-1.5" :rolleyes: Others results may vary....

26" stock height tire, used stock replacement springs (not cargo coils) = 27 1/2" ride height :eek:

26" stock height tire, Moog 5413 springs = 27 7/16" ride height :mad:

Yes, that's right a whole 1/16" drop. $72 out the window........

Darn that sucks. Guess if I want to lower the rear of the car I'll stick with chopping some old F-body springs.

Tonight I changed out the driver's side spring for the 5658, it's an interesting job in a cramped garage with hand tools.

TSpool, thats sucks. Did you drive the car around a little and then measure? The Monte guys are all lowering their cars with these springs. Wonder why it didnt lower it?

TSpool,

Sorry to hear that - as I know the frustration ride height creates. Did you clock them per the service manual? It calls for the pigtail being no more than 5 degrees forward or 15 degrees rearward of an imaginary line that runs right over the axles. Although I am not sure if this would make a difference or not, it may be worth checking.

JPolzin - I'll post some pics of my new ride height later today.

Rob

Guys, it's not a big deal at all. Swapping rear springs takes all of 15-20 minutes and they're cheap. I never get typical results on anything I do to this car so I'm used to it. Jeremy, I drove the car down my Dad's bumpy dirt road several times to seat them. Rob, I clocked them every which way but loose. I can actually get the car to ride higher by doing that, but seated correctly I am only 1/16" lower than the stock springs with zero other changes. I even put the stock ones back in to recheck that measurement and those put me at 27 1/2". I ended up reinstalling my torched rear springs and since I have installed poly body bushings and new Bilsteins those put me at 26 3/8" which is right where I want to be :) I still have the F body springs to cut, but the bad thing about those is you can't run air bags.

Here are pics of the springs for reference -

left = used F body springs
middle = used stock replacement G body springs
right = new Moog 5413

Looking at them, one would think the 5413's would drop the car, but because of the stiffer rate they don't compress like the stock springs. I'm thinking they would be better for you cornering guys and also better for launching since they should keep the car from squatting. I'm not into stock ride height though....

My guess is whoever says the 5413's drop a car 1"-1.5" is comparing them to progressive rate cargo coils :confused:

Attachments

• springs 001.jpg
    springs 001.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,100
Yeah i would agree that the 5413 look as though it will lower the car just by comparing height of springs. I have read that people definately like them for cornering purposes. I wonder how much a new stock replacement spring sits versus the 5413? My used stock springs in my 86K mile car sat about an inch lower than the 21K mile car. This may be a difference as well. I think we should have someone measure their low mile original car and see where the comparison is. I read on a few different places where people installed the 5658 springs in the fron and it acutally raised the car becuase their stock springs were sagged that badly. What size tire are you running in the rear?

OK I just went out and measured my 57K mile Limited that has stock tires on it. It measures 27 7/8 floor to bottom of lip. The 215/65R15 tire diameter is 26".