Moog 5658 front spring results

Nice... I'll have to check out the 5413s. Sounds like it would sit lower in the rear though, since the front springs only get about 1" drop.

You might actually be suprised. I had the BellTech springs in the rear for the past year with the stock front suspension and it pretty much leveled the car out. I got a lot of compliments on the ride height even with that set up. 1.5" isnt really that much in the rear. Do a little searching around, there are a ton of pictures of G-Bodies with these in the rear.;)

Cool, I'll look for some pictures. Man... back when I was buying springs I couldn't find a good suggestion for the rears, that's why I went with old Camaro springs without the pigtail at the top so I could trim them. Now suddenly everyone knows about 5413s... lol.

DAAAMMMMMNNNNNN:eek: That looks bas a$$ dude. The whole set looks SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D. I can't wait to see it in person.

Prasad

I installed 5413's and they raised the rear 1/4" from the Eibachs that were in there.

That should be about right, how long have you had them in? How many miles have you driven it with them in? These will drop 1/4-3/8" once settled. Good upgrade for the money saved over he Eibachs!

Installed my 5658 front springs - mixed results

Jeremy,

I installed my Moog 5658's yesterday - I love how the car looks, but I am still getting the same rubbing I had with the worn out factory springs. The car does drive better though.

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

My stock ride height was 27 inches.

With the Stage 2 Kit from SC&C it was 25.75 inches (with my 20 year old stock springs.)

With the Moog 5658s, I've dropped down to 25.125 inches.

I am getting about the same amount of rubbing that I did with the factory springs (420 pound spring rate on the factory springs, and 565 pound spring rate on the Moog 5658s), so it looks like the higher spring rate has helped out some.

SC&C offers helical aluminum spacers for the lower control arm that are supposed to give me .75 inches more ride height, so I am going to order them Monday and see if that doesn't give me enough ride height back. I measured the rubbing I am getting on my tires and it looks like I only lack about .25 inches of clearance that I need.

I despise having to take the springs back out again (I hate that job), but I want to get this thing driving with no rubbing. And not too mention the fact that my wife told me before I put the springs in yesterday to order the spacers and put them in the first time and be done with it.

Rob

Rob, how about changing the tires on the front? I know this is way more costly than putting spacers in but it looks to me that the tires you have a pretty big. I run 245/40R18's in the front. They look to have a little less sidewall than yours do. This may be easier than installing spacers and someday taking them back out when you change tires?

BTW, looks killer man! Just drop the rear a little and it will be perfect!

Rob, how about changing the tires on the front? I know this is way more costly than putting spacers in but it looks to me that the tires you have a pretty big. I run 245/40R18's in the front. They look to have a little less sidewall than yours do. This may be easier than installing spacers and someday taking them back out when you change tires?

BTW, looks killer man! Just drop the rear a little and it will be perfect!

I am going to drop down to 235/45/17s on the front, but I will space it up 3/4 of an inch too.

Yeah the joys of doing something once, twice, three, four times to get it just the way you want it! Either way, looks very nice, please keep us posted on the changes you make! BTW, when you have your car up on jack stands and the front wheel are hanging down, do your upper control arms rest on the frame?

Yeah the joys of doing something once, twice, three, four times to get it just the way you want it! Either way, looks very nice, please keep us posted on the changes you make! BTW, when you have your car up on jack stands and the front wheel are hanging down, do your upper control arms rest on the frame?

I'll keep you posted on my progress. I left a message on SC&C's phone to send me some spacers. If they come in next week, I will try to get them in the car next Saturday or Sunday. Here's a link to SPC's (manufacturer of the spacers sold by SC&C) catalogue in case you run into any problems with yours down the road: http://www.specprod.com/CATALOG_DIR/Coil_08.pdf . If these work like they're supposed to, it will allow us to dial in the exact height we are looking for (both for the front and back).

As far as the control arms touching the frame - I think they did right after I installed the Stage 2 kit, but they don't do it any more. Even with the Baer Brakes hanging on the upper spindle they were still not touching when I had the lower control arm hanging down to get the springs in/out yesterday. Your spindle (yes, I have spindle envy), is different than mine so that may explain it. The information sheet Mark sent me with the control arms discussed the control arms touching the frames on certain cars.

And yes, I am getting better at replacing springs. I am going to buy my own spring compressor, as the ones I borrow from Autozone/NAPA are usually pretty worn out with the threads being pretty messed up

You mentioned in your prior post about lowering the back of my car - once I get the front dialed in where I like it (nice height, no rubbing) I'll start on the back.

Rob

Cool, thanks for that link, I'm sure it will come in handy sometime! Do you think the 3/4" spacer is going to sit the car right back up close to where it was before?

Cool, thanks for that link, I'm sure it will come in handy sometime! Do you think the 3/4" spacer is going to sit the car right back up close to where it was before?

According to Mark, the car raises twice the height of the spacer (e.g., a .5 inch spacer will raise the car one inch). So, I need to figure out if I want to use the 3/8 inch (for 3/4 inch rise) or the 1/2 inch spacer (for a one inch rise). I'll probably try the 3/8 inch at first and see if that will do it.

Rob

Subscribed. Keep us posted on how those spacers work.

I just ordered the 1/2 inch spacers, which should give me about one inch of lift. I'll put those in (probably be weekend after next before I can get to it) and see how it goes. I'lll let you all know how it works out.

Rob

Sounds good, hopefully it doesnt raise it too much. I love the way it sits as is!

One other thing you guys may not relize is if you you cut the mounts off of the rear and reverse them you will get more down force when launching. An old dirt track trick but it works great.

I just ordered the 1/2 inch spacers, which should give me about one inch of lift. I'll put those in (probably be weekend after next before I can get to it) and see how it goes. I'lll let you all know how it works out.

Rob

All,

My spacers arrived. I will try to get them in Saturday. They are made out of aluminum. Here are a couple of pictures of them if anyone is interested.

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004-1.jpg

I test fitted them on my old springs and they are an exact match for the bottom of the spring. I was advised to duct tape them to the bottom of the springs before I put them in the car. Gotta love duct tape!

I will let you all know how they fit in the lower control arm "pocket" and what they do to the ride height.