Moog 5658 front spring results

I just read through this thread and while I don't have much to add, I plan on getting the 5658's as I am in the process of rebuilding my front end on my 87 GN. I also have gnx fender flares. My stock 86 GN sits at 26 1/4" with 25k miles on it and stock size tires. The 86's are supposed to sit a little lower than the 87's.

I got done installing the 5658 springs and I'm disappointed. Driver side sits about 25.5" and passenger side sits about 26.5". I took out the passenger side spring and re-installed it so that the bottom coil sits at the holes in the lower control arm. Didn't help much. Also, tires rub big time on the wheel wells when I turn the steering wheel to get into my driveway (tires rub turning left or right). I have Kirban's wheels. Tires are 245X50X16. Any suggestions?

I have heard that the Quality Contol is not up to what it needs to be on the Moog's.

Thanks,
Dave

I got done installing the 5658 springs and I'm disappointed. Driver side sits about 25.5" and passenger side sits about 26.5". I took out the passenger side spring and re-installed it so that the bottom coil sits at the holes in the lower control arm. Didn't help much. Also, tires rub big time on the wheel wells when I turn the steering wheel to get into my driveway (tires rub turning left or right). I have Kirban's wheels. Tires are 245X50X16. Any suggestions?

Somethings not right here. The 25.5 sounds right where it should be. The passenger is way off. Did you get an alignment? That'll help you with your rubbing but the height is what is throwing me off. How did you install the spring? Did you remove the lower control arm? Did you bounce the front end? Did you make sure your isolator bushings on the top of the spring is in properly on both sides? The spring is not going to differ one inch side to side. Something wasnt installed correctly.

Somethings not right here. The 25.5 sounds right where it should be. The passenger is way off. Did you get an alignment? That'll help you with your rubbing but the height is what is throwing me off. How did you install the spring? Did you remove the lower control arm? Did you bounce the front end? Did you make sure your isolator bushings on the top of the spring is in properly on both sides? The spring is not going to differ one inch side to side. Something wasnt installed correctly.

The passenger side was installed...twice. The first time, I didn't know to line up the bottom coil with the two holes in the lower control arm. So I redid everything and there was no difference. Yes I got it aligned, and yes I lowered the control arm. I saw some rubber like an O ring at the top of the spring so I think it is ok. I did try bouncing the front end. My mechanic suggested that I just wait a while and maybe it will settle down on its own. A friend says a good spring shop can heat up the spring with a torch, to bring it down. What do you think of the torch idea? Luckily the driver side turned out nice, since that is the side I see most often.

The passenger side was installed...twice. The first time, I didn't know to line up the bottom coil with the two holes in the lower control arm. So I redid everything and there was no difference. Yes I got it aligned, and yes I lowered the control arm. I saw some rubber like an O ring at the top of the spring so I think it is ok. I did try bouncing the front end. My mechanic suggested that I just wait a while and maybe it will settle down on its own. A friend says a good spring shop can heat up the spring with a torch, to bring it down. What do you think of the torch idea? Luckily the driver side turned out nice, since that is the side I see most often.

Rick, I would hate to see you have to torch a new spring. Tha really blows. I also dont think it will settle one inch. Actually I know for a fact that it wont. As stated above, there is a possibilty you got a set of springs that are not matched. It should never do that. These springs are great and many of us have used them. There are inconsistantcies in any product that are sold, especially something like a set of springs.

On the other hand, the rubber isolator concerns me. The best way to install them is to use electrical tape and tape it with one wrap onto the top of the spring. I just want to make sure it didnt fold over on you. It's hard to see it up there and many times, it stay up there when the old springs are removed. Sometimes half of it hangs down, then gets folded over. I've even had this happen when I am paying attention.

It's not fun to install springs, actually it really sucks! I would say, order another set of springs, install them both, and take back the springs you have in the car now. Re-check the drivers side to make sure you still have the isolater in there. There is a posibilty you dont have the rubber in the drivers side, which would make it sit lower.

the car will settle some, but only about 3/8". I have had a set of Eibachs settle on me 1/2" on one side and onot settleat all on the other side. Then i had to remove them. Thats really when I started to experiment with other springs. Eibachs are very inconsistant, not just MOOGS or any other spring for that matter.

As far as your alignment, do you happen to know what degree your caster and camber were set at? Is it rubbing just on the drivers side or both?

I'll do my best to help you out here brother!

So why all the trouble when you can get a set of Eibach springs for just over $200 from Jegs? I had good luck with Moogs when they were still super cheap and not made in China. Right now I'm trying to decide between an Eibach Pro kit and SPC's.

Rick, I would hate to see you have to torch a new spring. Tha really blows. I also dont think it will settle one inch. Actually I know for a fact that it wont. As stated above, there is a possibilty you got a set of springs that are not matched. It should never do that. These springs are great and many of us have used them. There are inconsistantcies in any product that are sold, especially something like a set of springs.

On the other hand, the rubber isolator concerns me. The best way to install them is to use electrical tape and tape it with one wrap onto the top of the spring. I just want to make sure it didnt fold over on you. It's hard to see it up there and many times, it stay up there when the old springs are removed. Sometimes half of it hangs down, then gets folded over. I've even had this happen when I am paying attention.

It's not fun to install springs, actually it really sucks! I would say, order another set of springs, install them both, and take back the springs you have in the car now. Re-check the drivers side to make sure you still have the isolater in there. There is a posibilty you dont have the rubber in the drivers side, which would make it sit lower.

the car will settle some, but only about 3/8". I have had a set of Eibachs settle on me 1/2" on one side and onot settleat all on the other side. Then i had to remove them. Thats really when I started to experiment with other springs. Eibachs are very inconsistant, not just MOOGS or any other spring for that matter.

As far as your alignment, do you happen to know what degree your caster and camber were set at? Is it rubbing just on the drivers side or both?

I'll do my best to help you out here brother!

Thanks JD. I have no idea about the caster/camber setting. I re-read this thread and it seems a tire with a smaller shoulder would be needed. In other words, a shorter tire so it doesn't rub. I haven't taken the time yet to see which tire rubs the most. I'll let you know if/when I return the springs and/or check the rubber isolators. Gotta take a break from it now.

It is funny how things go to hell when they get shipped over seas.:mad: One of these days, these big companies will go out of business becuase of that mentallity.

Rick, yeah take a break from it for a while then jump back into it. We'll get it worked out. BTW, if you want, this spring, you can bring it over to the Turbo Farm and I'll help ya with it.

FWIW, I like the Eibach front springs but not the rears. I think from everyones results and input, I would say it's best to get the Global West rear or BellTech rears.

SPC parts are awesome! I'd love to see some input on these on our cars........Who's going to start the "SPC Spring Result" thread!??:biggrin: When did these come out?

It is funny how things go to hell when they get shipped over seas.:mad: One of these days, these big companies will go out of business becuase of that mentallity.

Rick, yeah take a break from it for a while then jump back into it. We'll get it worked out. BTW, if you want, this spring, you can bring it over to the Turbo Farm and I'll help ya with it.

Thanks JD. A Turbo Farm sounds like a nice place to visit. Are there wild turbo cars running around? Maybe I'll bring it to my mechanic so he can put it up on the lift. He might have some ideas. Looks like I need new low profile tires anyway to eliminate the rubbing. I have two other issues (not Buick related) to tend to. First one is to find a blown fuse on my 2002 Sebring. Low beams don't work and that is my "winter" front wheel drive car. Other issue is to get my snow blower working. Runs 5 seconds with carb cleaner sprayed into it, then dies out. Maybe needs the carb cleaned out when I figure out where the heck it is.:confused:

Sounds good Rick! We have a lift at the farm! And yes, there are definately many many many wild turbos running around!

I got my snow blower working! I sprayed carb cleaner up this little tube that apparently is where the gas gets sucked up from the bowl under the carb. Just thought you guys might want to know. Now back to the coil springs.......:smile:

FWIW, I like the Eibach front springs but not the rears. I think from everyones results and input, I would say it's best to get the Global West rear or BellTech rears.

SPC parts are awesome! I'd love to see some input on these on our cars........Who's going to start the "SPC Spring Result" thread!??:biggrin: When did these come out?

What don't people like about the rears? Is is because of the ride quality or the ride height? I'm guessing that it is because they are progressive so maybe they are soft at first. From what I've seen you need to do something to lower the front a bit more with the Eibachs to get that slightly raked stance.

I really dont have a problem with the fact that they are progressive. I actually like that. The problem is that they sag way too early and they already sit lower than the front when they are first installed. The ride quality is ok at first but after some miles, the ride goes to hell. My BellTechs have been holding up for 12 years now! My car is low in the front and the BellTechs suppliment the front perfectly. The 5413's on my Regal sit perfectly too. Just have to re-set them in the perch everytime you raise the rear of the car.

Wow, I just got done reading this whole thread, and half a dozen others, and my head is spinning. Lots o' numbers.

Needless to say I'm researching spring options for my Regal. However I feel like I'm in a somewhat unique situation compared to everyone else on this board, being as I'm working on a 1978 Limited and not a Turbo car. That means the car has very differently shaped wheel arches, so some of the measurements posted may or may not be the same for me (although they're probably close enough :rolleyes:). Also, for the time being I'm dealing with a 305 V8 instead of a turbo 6, but to offset that the car also has all the factory aluminum goodies- bumper supports, radiator support, intake, brake drums, and rear deck lid are all factory aluminum. Still, I don't know what the car actually weighs now, or what it will weigh when it's finally done. Here's what I do know however:

Wheels will be factory 15 x 7 Rallyes off a 70's car. Tires will be 235/60/15 Firehawks. I might go with 255 rears, but currently I'm planning on keeping them the same size all the way around.

Front brakes and spindles will be swapped on from a late 2wd Blazer. This seems to be the best bang for the buck upgrade that will still fit behind the 15" wheels.

Eventually, the car will be getting a 455 from a '72 Electra. I'm told that the 455 only weighs ~50lbs. over a small block Chevy, but I'm quite certain aluminum heads and an intake will negate that and then some.

I'd like an emphasis on handling. I know that with the engine and tire choice I won't be able to road race it (competetively anyway), but if I want to sit on a soft cushy couch, I'll do that in my living room, not doing 80mph down the interstate. I always loved how well my old Sport Coupe and my buddy's Monte SS handled, and I want to improve on that.

And I want the car to sit exactly like this:

l_ece8279ee99d2eb1038e9bae2921ac72.jpg

(Yes, this is my photoshop. I feel it's best to have a definate goal in mind before starting a project.)

Currently, no scratch that- Last time the car sat on the ground it sat rediculously high, despite the 31 year old factory springs.

I guess I don't have any actual questions (yet), just felt like throwing this on the table for you guys.

Wow, I just got done reading this whole thread, and half a dozen others, and my head is spinning. Lots o' numbers.

Needless to say I'm researching spring options for my Regal. However I feel like I'm in a somewhat unique situation compared to everyone else on this board, being as I'm working on a 1978 Limited and not a Turbo car. That means the car has very differently shaped wheel arches, so some of the measurements posted may or may not be the same for me (although they're probably close enough :rolleyes:). Also, for the time being I'm dealing with a 305 V8 instead of a turbo 6, but to offset that the car also has all the factory aluminum goodies- bumper supports, radiator support, intake, brake drums, and rear deck lid are all factory aluminum. Still, I don't know what the car actually weighs now, or what it will weigh when it's finally done. Here's what I do know however:

Wheels will be factory 15 x 7 Rallyes off a 70's car. Tires will be 235/60/15 Firehawks. I might go with 255 rears, but currently I'm planning on keeping them the same size all the way around.

Front brakes and spindles will be swapped on from a late 2wd Blazer. This seems to be the best bang for the buck upgrade that will still fit behind the 15" wheels.

Eventually, the car will be getting a 455 from a '72 Electra. I'm told that the 455 only weighs ~50lbs. over a small block Chevy, but I'm quite certain aluminum heads and an intake will negate that and then some.

I'd like an emphasis on handling. I know that with the engine and tire choice I won't be able to road race it (competetively anyway), but if I want to sit on a soft cushy couch, I'll do that in my living room, not doing 80mph down the interstate. I always loved how well my old Sport Coupe and my buddy's Monte SS handled, and I want to improve on that.

And I want the car to sit exactly like this:

l_ece8279ee99d2eb1038e9bae2921ac72.jpg

(Yes, this is my photoshop. I feel it's best to have a definate goal in mind before starting a project.)

Currently, no scratch that- Last time the car sat on the ground it sat rediculously high, despite the 31 year old factory springs.

I guess I don't have any actual questions (yet), just felt like throwing this on the table for you guys.

That'll definately be an awesome car when you complete it! The frames are still the same on those year cars so the choice of springs would be the same. ne thng your going to have to keep in mind is that your motor is going to weigh much more than ours do. That is ok though. I have read other 5658 threads in other forums with guys running big blocks. The nice thing is that they dont need to do anything else to get the car lower.

Most of us guys want our car to be as low as possible without hurting ride quality. You may need to do your front end in steps just t osee how it reacts. I would start with the springs first, then go from there.

As far as fitment issues because of the difference in the body, Thats going to be more of a wheel and tire issue than a lower issue, although it does go hand in hand. You'll just have to try to find the correct backspace and rim width once lowered.

Yes, I spent some time this fall helping a friend drop a 454 into a '78 Malibu, and that is exactly how the car sits on the factory springs. Looks killer.