Moog 5658 front spring results

Anybody run any of these springs and have pics? I know there hyas been a ton of people reading this thread but i really would like to see results from others and see other people set ups. Thanks guys! ------Jeremy

This is my T-type which is back on the road after 6 years and heading for paint in a few days with 5658's in the front with B-body spindles and GTA rears with 255/50's in front. I put the springs in back in 2002 but pulled the motor at the same time.

Rear springs are 22 year old Eibachs and the car sits about level (which looks a little tail down). After it gets driven for a few hundred miles, we'll adjust the rake as required. Since the car normally has 205/60R15's in front and 275/60's in back, I'm not going to lower it too much in front.

Attachments

• DSCN0153.JPG
    DSCN0153.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,047
This is my T-type which is back on the road after 6 years and heading for paint in a few days with 5658's in the front with B-body spindles and GTA rears with 255/50's in front. I put the springs in back in 2002 but pulled the motor at the same time.

Rear springs are 22 year old Eibachs and the car sits about level (which looks a little tail down). After it gets driven for a few hundred miles, we'll adjust the rake as required. Since the car normally has 205/60R15's in front and 275/60's in back, I'm not going to lower it too much in front.

Have you thought about the MOOG 5413's for the rear? I put a set on my Regal and I really like the way it made the car sit! I put a set of of GN swaybars on it and that made a huge difference but after installing the rear springs, I think the car rides perfectly. I think the next budget upgrade to that car is going to be the B-Body spindles since they can be had for pretty much free. Did those spindles seem to help the car? If so, in what way, bumpsteer?

Have you thought about the MOOG 5413's for the rear? I put a set on my Regal and I really like the way it made the car sit! I put a set of of GN swaybars on it and that made a huge difference but after installing the rear springs, I think the car rides perfectly. I think the next budget upgrade to that car is going to be the B-Body spindles since they can be had for pretty much free. Did those spindles seem to help the car? If so, in what way, bumpsteer?

I haven't driven the car, yet. My dad has been retired for 15 years, was bored and asked me if I wasn't going to finish my T-type any time soon if he could work on it (It had been storing it in his building for a couple years). I'll keep those rear in mind, but the eibachs put the rear right where I want it for now... low, but no rubbing with 275/60's so I don't want to mess with them.

I'll drive it over thanksgiving to see how it feels. The B spindles should have more bumpsteer than the factory spindles, but their height should help reduce understeer.

The real trick is going to see if the 255/50's will work up front or will we have to go smaller. Our 2+2 fits 255's in front with no problems and its 2.5" lower than my T-type. Pontiacs GP's don't use the same plastic inner fender, though. If the tires only rub at full lock, I'll keep them.

I just installed the Moog 5658 on the front of my regal replacing a worn out set of Moroso trick springs. The ride height stayed the same but the front end is much more "stiffer" now, which is a good thing. Before, with the Morosos, the front end flopped around with street driving.........this pic is with 215/70's on the front.........thanks goes out to jdpolzin for his research....job well done !

Attachments

• car (Medium).JPG
    car (Medium).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 949
Car looks really good Dwayne!!!!! It should drop a little more in time but probably only 1/4". I really think these springs are perfect for our cars. They really dont lower the car too much, especially if thats the only lowering mod made to the car. What are you using for a rear spring?

In the rear, I'm using a set of stock springs for a NA v-6.

Hmmm???? I actually have a set of NA springs here that I was planning to use and see how it made the car sit/handle. Problem was these came from a car with 120K miles and it made the car sit crooked. I would like to test out a set with lower miles on it ans see how she sits!

I just read through this thread and while I don't have much to add, I plan on getting the 5658's as I am in the process of rebuilding my front end on my 87 GN. I also have gnx fender flares. My stock 86 GN sits at 26 1/4" with 25k miles on it and stock size tires. The 86's are supposed to sit a little lower than the 87's.

I thought I would contribute to this thread. Just finished doing 2 cars with the 5658 coil springs. Mine is the only one I took pics off. 5658 front and I believe 5665 F body springs out back. I had the rears on my race car for may years and took them off just recently. Ended up triming .25 coil to get the height I wanted.

If I remember correctly all the fender edge measurements are on or around 26.25. Wheels are 17x8's with 245/45 up front and 255/45 out back.

Attachments

• Not lowered.JPG
    Not lowered.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,350
  • Lowered.JPG
    Lowered.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,348
I thought I would contribute to this thread. Just finished doing 2 cars with the 5658 coil springs. Mine is the only one I took pics off. 5658 front and I believe 5665 F body springs out back. I had the rears on my race car for may years and took them off just recently. Ended up triming .25 coil to get the height I wanted.

If I remember correctly all the fender edge measurements are on or around 26.25. Wheels are 17x8's with 245/45 up front and 255/45 out back.

Looks great Louie! Actually more of a noticeable difference than I expected concidering how saggy stock springs are now that they are 22 years old. Looks perfect! How's the ride quality compared to stock?

I replaced the upper control arm bushings with Polys also. So the ride improved greatly as the stockers were shot. But the ride is not harsh in the least which is what I feared the most. I do have have some low $$$ KYB shocks which are not very stiff. But all in all it rides very well. Im happy with the results vs money invested.

Got a couple good pictures from this past weekend's Midwest Meet! Thought I would share! Car now sits at 24 7/8 with the 225's up front. No rubbing on the interstate or city driving. Turned out great!

Attachments

• 240.jpg
    240.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 686
  • 208.jpg
    208.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 686
  • 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 679
  • 285.jpg
    285.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 677
Looks good jeremy,
Thought maybe I should contribute to this thread also with some of my measurements and wheel & tire sizes for the record. I've been running this set up for 2 days now and putting it through some harsh turns, hills, dips and with the new stock OEM bump stops No Rubbing at all and the ride is nice and smooth!! I Also plan to due the Dual piston calipers up front by SSBC along with the slotted rotors. For the rear plans are to up grade to a F-Body rear disc set up.. Future mods will include a full Air-Ride set up..

Wheel sizes:

FRONT: 18" X 9.5" W/ 4.75 backspacing
REAR: 18" X 10" W/ 4.75 backspacing

Tire sizes:

FRONT: 255 /35 ZR18
REAR: 285 /40 ZR18

My ride height measured the same as everyone else measures, 25.5" in the front and 27" in the rear. The tire sizing is what gives the car a slight Raked look. For now we plan on lowering the car slightly a little bit at a time untill we get it at the desired ride height. Lock to Lock there is No Rub and it handles great. Can't wait to get it to the alignment shop and have the magic done!! This project is just in the beginning stages and I'm just doing it to have fun and throw it around the Auto-X, Well Road course is more what I'm after!! :biggrin:

SW.

Looks good jeremy,
Thought maybe I should contribute to this thread also with some of my measurements and wheel & tire sizes for the record. I've been running this set up for 2 days now and putting it through some harsh turns, hills, dips and with the new stock OEM bump stops No Rubbing at all and the ride is nice and smooth!! I Also plan to due the Dual piston calipers up front by SSBC along with the slotted rotors. For the rear plans are to up grade to a F-Body rear disc set up.. Future mods will include a full Air-Ride set up..

Wheel sizes:

FRONT: 18" X 9.5" W/ 4.75 backspacing
REAR: 18" X 10" W/ 4.75 backspacing

Tire sizes:

FRONT: 255 /35 ZR18
REAR: 285 /40 ZR18

My ride height measured the same as everyone else measures, 25.5" in the front and 27" in the rear. The tire sizing is what gives the car a slight Raked look. For now we plan on lowering the car slightly a little bit at a time untill we get it at the desired ride height. Lock to Lock there is No Rub and it handles great. Can't wait to get it to the alignment shop and have the magic done!! This project is just in the beginning stages and I'm just doing it to have fun and throw it around the Auto-X, Well Road course is more what I'm after!! :biggrin:

SW.

why not make it a 11secmonster?:D

Looks good, Jeremy! A lot better than on the side of the interstate wondering if it is safe to drive or not, LOL! What brand tire did you go with up front? What made you go with a 225 instead of a 235?

Jeremy, at 24 7/8ths you dont tuck tire?! What diam are those. I am at the same exact height and tuck tire. I think I am almost dead on plus 5 sizing....but that mean I do rub at this height.

Attachments

• frontwheel.jpeg
    frontwheel.jpeg
    23.1 KB · Views: 578
Actually the tire is right at the wheel well trim. The tire diameter is 25" so technically it sits 1/8" in but it's hard to tell really. I would have to say the combo fits perfectly. I chose the 225's over 235's becuase I wanted to keep the Azenis tires as a matching set. I could have bought the Ziex tires but the sidewall thickness is much thinner than the Azenis and that thick sidewall is what got me home from Indy! I also dont really want to change the 315's in the rear becuase there's not a whole lot of choices for this tire. The car literally seems to drive itself around corners. On the way to the meet, we had some fun on the curvy Dubuque roads! The car is not a drag car, autocross car, show car, daily driver, or really any other label but i would like to say it could hang with the best of every world and is a very fun all around vehicle! I'm digging the combo. The car rides like a newer Camaro would. It's not to stiff but stiff enough that I dont get any body roll or bump steer like I did with the stock suspension. These springs are just perfect for our GBodies in my opinion and are a killer combo with the camber assisting ball joints or spindles.