"Modern" advice wanted

SwingOp3

Hello all. Looking for some advice on parts and tuning on my '87 Grand National that I have finally pulled out of storage after 8 years!!:eek: In reading over the forums for the last couple of weeks its obvious that lots has changed since then let alone since I put parts on the car in the early 90's. Right now all I have is a 160 therm, exhaust cutout/Cat removed, Kenne Bell ram air/k&n filter, 60 psi fuel press reg, underdrive pulley, Kenne Bell chip and DynoTech stage 3 chip. I will be getting a scanmaster or powerlogger(still confused on which one is the best - I have a laptop) and TT chip soon but was wondering what else I should change from my current setup. Would like to have a good starting point for future upgrades. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Scanmaster sits on your dash at all times and is always there to keep an eye on. The powerlogger records all the data for review after you've made some passes. You need both in my opinion, but the first one I'd buy would be a scanmaster. Might want to watch that KB ram air setup, its actually a restriction.

Scanmaster sits on your dash at all times and is always there to keep an eye on. The powerlogger records all the data for review after you've made some passes. You need both in my opinion, but the first one I'd buy would be a scanmaster. Might want to watch that KB ram air setup, its actually a restriction.

I'll ditch the "ram air" and go straight K & N. Scanmaster it is. Thank You

TT chip, alky injection, MT tires=low 12's/high 11's:cool:

Are you saying alky, sticky tires and a new chip will get me that much? Is alky a streetable option?

What are your goals?

As far as 1/4 times I don't know how far I'll go just yet, but would like my next moves to smart enough so that I can build on what's there and not have to change too much stuff.

Welcome to the world of "Alky" ... one of the best things you can do now .. PERFECTLY streetable .. My daughter has it on her GN street car (has a few mods :eek: ) and ran in the 9s with it .. makes driving on the street a blast !! Razor makes an awesome kit just for our cars and he is easy to find if ya have a problem.. His service is "Top's" :D

I'll ditch the "ram air" and go straight K & N.
What I did was remover the filter cover because it is the restriction. I left the Ram Air hose in place. The Ram air scoop and hose will send some cooler air to the filter.

David
87GN

Locate Mark H. "TR Custom parts" down in the vender section, look at the bigmouth kit he sells to relocate the K&N infront of the core support.

Scanmaster, TTchip/injector combo and alk

What I did was remover the filter cover because it is the restriction. I left the Ram Air hose in place. The Ram air scoop and hose will send some cooler air to the filter.

David
87GN

+1 just take the cover off. The scoop actually looks kind cool and does send cold air towards the filter, just don't keep it boxed in.

Scanmaster is a mandatory mod. A logger is what is needed to start really getting the best tune possible, but the scanmaster will get you in the ballpark, let you read malfunction codes, get your sensors set up properly etc.

Good tip on the cover removal for the ram air. I'll try that. Because I live 3 hours from anything you would call a dragstrip I've ordered a G-Tech Pro SS to evaluate any changes I make in the car(I hope it works as good as they say). I'll try to do a comparison between the setups. I really have no idea how fast(or slow) the car is right now. It will also be interesting to see the difference between the chips I have. It may be even more interesting/disturbing to see how poor the car runs with the old style chips. I will be ordering a scanmaster and TT chip in the next few minutes. Thanks for all the help.

Years ago when the 1st g-tech came out my brother took his to the dragstrip. Believe it or not, it was no more than .1 second off of his timeslip on 3 runs.