Milwaukees 18V cordless batteries.

S2V6RACER

Banned
Well, I figure it is about time to put out this info. As many know I have a Plumbing Business and made a decision a few years ago to spend some $$ on Milwaukee cordless tools rather than Dewalt.

We own over 30 18V batteries in all. I started noticing the batteries did not accept a full charge and seemed to lose capacity. I rotate 4 batteries on my truck. Finally the "weak" one just stops working all together. They made it just out of warantee before they dropped out. No warantee coverage. There is a date code on the bottom of the battery. I push these things pretty hard and was told that "Maybe" I am getting the batteries hot and diminishing thier capacity.... O.K. whatever, I pay more attention to that.

Round 2: Buy 4 more batteries. I notice the remaining batteries on other trucks are suffering the same fate. I get a couple warranteed within it's 1 year deal. We still have a few "old" ones that work, but all have failed to the point they will not even turn the red light on in the charger bay.

I am still denied the satisfaction of being right that there is a "Problem" with their batteries.

They put out a "NEW" 3 bay charger that is "supposed" to help extend battery cycle life. We get a couple on promotional deals getting combo kits since we really need more batteries now. We notice no improvement with this new charger other than the ability to charge 3 batteries at a time.

I freak out when the remaining batteries I have start to fail. I set up a meeting with the sales rep at my supplier. I take in 16 remaining dead batteries and put them in front of him. Hey bud, Dewalt batteries don't do this. 3 weeks later they credit 4 of them and I get 4 NEW batteries with new lettering on the cases. HMMMM, I wonder if they did this to clearly identify old from new....... I am still denied the satisfaction I am right..... Sheesh you'd think my sales rep works for them. Each time I have been to the supply house there are batteries on the return/credit bench from others..... Getting the point yet?

Call from my buddy Rich. Hey man, 1 of my batteries won't take a charge. This is a home use drill. I saw the battery and there are no scratches on it. Backs up my whole point that use does not cause failure.

To this point today, I have not had a problem with the new style batteries. I believe they originally outsourced these batteries and were promised something they did not produce. I believe the outsourced company will not take back the old bad product and we the consumer are stuck with the poor quality.

Rember this when you are walking down the isle at Home Depot. I will try out a different brand next time around......

Since 1991 I have been using Dewalt,Which I think was actually Black n Decker since they were identicall back then,the B/D started to fade away alittle

Brand I hate are
Makita---Worst product ever
Milwaukee----Not as bad as Makita.
Dewalt is my choice,all the time...

Originally posted by BandAid≈
Since 1991 I have been using Dewalt,Which I think was actually Black n Decker since they were identicall back then,the B/D started to fade away alittle

Brand I hate are
Makita---Worst product ever
Milwaukee----Not as bad as Makita.
Dewalt is my choice,all the time...

What about Ridgid?. I heard Ryobi INC or what makes up that Co. bought Milwaukee and Dewalt bought out Porter Cable. I believe Ridgid cordless tools are Ryobi's "industrial" grade stuff. Yes, Black and Decker is affiliated with Dewalt.

The Hammer mechanism breaks on Milwaukee's cordless drills, but you can't burn up a switch on them, that's for sure.

I do, however love my 18V impact. :D

I have two full 4 pc. 18V DeWalt kits and about 20 18V batteries. I have two batts that I bought brand new (with a kit) FIVE years ago - still take a charge and last fairly well to this day.

I put my batteries through some pretty strenuous stuff, going through 2 to 8 per day at times... I have dropped my drill and sawzall from over 30 feet in the air... landing on concrete - boomed down and put the batt back in and went back to work.

amazed the $hit outta me.

It will take a catastrophic failure of all my batts at once to get me to buy something else.

If I ever do, I might look into the RIDGID brand. They are very heavy duty, but most important... come with a 3 year warranty through Home Desperate. They said, and I quote, "any problems AT ALL within three years, bring it back, we will give you a new one." including the batteries I said... "including the batteries"

Might be worth checking out for your business.

I have a good buddy that swears by the Bosch tools - we had one on our truck for years and never had a problem just it and it's two batteries.

Thank you for the info on the milwaukee - I would have considered them at one time, as I did think they were decent - but thanks to you, we now know better.

Vic

I used to have 2x4 races with the plumbers .You plumbers always did like milwaukee.I used a (back Then) Rockwell porter cable sawzaw againest the plumbrs Milsqualkee.I won many of lunches.Never liked em since.Im a porter cable kinda guy.dewalt not bad either for me.Hell Im a salesman now I used to install HVAC.Buy the way Ted thanks for the info Ill keep it in mind at the Home Depot

same prob with Dewalt

I am a builder and used Dewalt 18v exclusively for years and had the same problem. Not at first though. For two years never had a prob. By third year my batteries wouldnt fully charge. I purchased 4 new batteries and they lasted about three months before they wouldnt hald a charge. Bought 4 more and a new charger that was supposed to extend the life of batteries. 3 months later they were weak and wouldnt fully charge. I got pissed, talked to my electrician who uses the dewalt 14.4v and he said he had same prob with 18v and loves the 14.4v. I switched a year ago and have had no problems since. You most likely use the sawzaw, and Im not sure that they make a 14.4v sawzaw, if not you might be screwed. In my opinion, 18v's suck.

oh... the big thing I have found with dewalt is, the batts have to be the nicad xrp+

The others seem to die a LOT sooner

Talking more about batteries. Milwaukee came out with a NM (nickelmetalhydryed?) battery a few years ago.. Junk.... Notice it isn't available anymore? Another $110 bucks down the drain....

I thought the Ridgid battery warrantee was eliminated. If it isn't that is cool. The batteries are what cost all the $$ on the tools these days.

Bobby. We use the Super orbital Milwaukee's on the job. I did this because the brackets would bust off the Porter Cables when they switched over to that new tan case...... We'll have to line the sawsall's up on the pro-tree this year. :D

The cordless "hatchet" sawzall sucks. I can cut faster shaking the thing with my hand..... :eek:

I've got an 18V Milwaukee that did the exact same thing.

One battery is completely worthless, one kind of holds a charge.

How much are the new batterys, that you said you haven't had a problem with?

Originally posted by kenny
I've got an 18V Milwaukee that did the exact same thing.

One battery is completely worthless, one kind of holds a charge.

How much are the new batterys, that you said you haven't had a problem with?

$70 bucks a piece rings a bell. You can buy them in packages of 2. The writing on the outside is clearly different. More "modern" looking is the best way I can describe it. More black with red writing on them.

Me Too!

I have had the same experience with 18v Milwaukee batteries. I have the cordless drill, which I like very much. The batteries, however, are trot line weights. I have DeWalt cordless tools and their batteries have far outlasted these Milwaukees. I have never had any problems with them.
Hopefully they have fixed the problem.

Bobby. We use the Super orbital Milwaukee's on the job. I did this because the brackets would bust off the Porter Cables when they switched over to that new tan case...... We'll have to line the sawsall's up on the pro-tree this year.

The cordless "hatchet" sawzall sucks. I can cut faster shaking the thing with my hand.....

Ted ,I tell our guys to knaw them out with their teeth !

Originally posted by Ted A.
$70 bucks a piece rings a bell. You can buy them in packages of 2. The writing on the outside is clearly different. More "modern" looking is the best way I can describe it. More black with red writing on them.

I'll look into it.

Hopefully they work for a little longer this time...