Military Pay

That article is right on the money...no pun intended

i am an O-3 (leutenant) in the navy, i make approx 50-60 as a pilot with deployment pay in any given year...

my contempory makes about 2-6 times that depending on years in the biz...(united/delta/etc)

and for general franks...i laugh...he commands about 200k+ people right now...i dont know anyone with that much control over people in the civ sector...yet mr gates, makes billions.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

hey thats AMERICA!
its what i defend and believe in..

Stop griping my old man was in the service in the 40's -60's and you talk about hard times. :rolleyes:

My pay, as an e-4 with 3 years in, and 2 years of college:
$18,032.40

Yours, with 4 years of college:
$34,934.40

hrm....

I can't complain much though. I have very few bills and the job is pretty darn good. (air force tech controller)

turbofrank....who's griping? all that article and I are saying are facts and are comparing military to civilian sector work....if i didnt want to be doing what i am doing, i wouldnt have joined.....i live comfortablly...for the most part...i own a GN so that should say something...:p

and i do believe that the lower the rank we have the "worse" off they have it....i see a substancial amount of junior sailors who are in dire straights becuase they never really learned how to manage money...they get that first "real" paycheck at age 18 and they see clothes/electronics/cars....so we as officers do our best to keep that situation from happening when we can.....

I'll bet you money that POW described as a "single mother" qualifies for food stamps....That is a disgrace :(

As a retired officer, I'm not complaining, its the lower ranks that need the pay raise ;) Anytime a shocking number of the married men and women on active duty qualify for food stamps, its a disgrace to us all :eek:

The hell of it is while they agree to work for just about nothing, there is the promise of free medical.

And that's turned into a lie.

You now have to copay on the meds., they've kept spending down as much as possible and even are refusing some new vets into the system. In the next 10 years they also expect to cut the budget 15 billion dollars.

I just hope the VA is there when it's time to pay then back for what they've gone thru.

And it's just within the last few years they've finally come to terms with Agent Orange, and that was in the 60s. The guys with problems from DS, might have another 20 years before they get any real help. There aren't huge numbers so they've been largely ignored.

You're right as usual Bruce....I just came home from the hospital & surgery....after 27 years in the military....I went to a civilian hospital....used medical insurance, I pay for. kind of disappointing how military retirees are treated nawadays.

To top it all, there is the issue of concurrent reciept. I get a military pension, and, qualify for VA disability too. They subtract my VA disability directly from my military pension every month. What a bummer :(

That does not hurt me that much, but it has a very great affect on those who's pension is not so generous.

I'm proud of every one in uniform today. Our country is too. I just hope we don't forget these brave men and women when their time of need comes. A lot of injuries come in preparation for war and being ready to fight. A lot of injuries don't show up until years later. Lets resolve to be there for these soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines :)

I don't think anyone who volunteered for service is bitching about the pay. Just stating facts. We all know what we signed up for. This ain't the sixties,Man. Look at the cost of living today.

SFC Chapman
US Army

when i enlisted in the air force i think i got 79 dollars a month but that was 43 years ago. my nephew is a captain in the army he is a helicopter pilot station in germany, he has 6 years of college, he says his salary is fair, just talking, oc:)

I don't plan on staying in long enough to get retirement pay, but the way they treat concurrent receipt ANGERS ME LOTS. I hate seeing so many people ripped off. There is a move to change it, but I don't think it will happen. It's been this way for a long time.

HELLO???

The pay is the last thing I bitched about. I ended my Navy stay as an E-5. I missed the E-6 test by 1 month. I made about $40K last year. Plus I paid taxes on only 19K. It sucked that I was on the carrier in the Gulf for the last 4 months (got out in December 2002), but the pay was not so bad. Of course my friend that got out made 80K his first year as an operator of a nuclear facility. I was a nuke.
Medical, Dental, and any other type of medical was a friggin' joke. Motrin 800 was the cure-all for the Navy.
I never bitched about the pay. ERIC.:cool:

Originally posted by TylerDurden
That article is right on the money...no pun intended

i am an O-3 (leutenant) in the navy, i make approx 50-60 as a pilot with deployment pay in any given year...

my contempory makes about 2-6 times that depending on years in the biz...(united/delta/etc)

and for general franks...i laugh...he commands about 200k+ people right now...i dont know anyone with that much control over people in the civ sector...yet mr gates, makes billions.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm

hey thats AMERICA!
its what i defend and believe in..

Looks like the pilots are gettin' screwed while the nukes are sittin pretty. Just for obligating for over 4 years, the nuke officer gets $15K as a bonus, per year. That is not including the SWO bonus they get. An 0-3 Nuke gets about 60K plus the 15K, plus the SWO bonus. I am sure that Lt gets nearly 80K. Heaven forbid they were previous Sub Fags. They get $500+ per month even though they are not on a sub. The sub guys call the surface guys "Targets", so I call them sub fags. Later.

I've never seen a "bonus" offered for anything they could get people, in adequate numbers, to do without the bonus. Bonuses are offered for skills that are in demand in the civilian world, or, for jobs that noone will volunteer to do for a second enlistment. They earn the bonuses, one way or another ;)

Our military is superbly led today....From the White House, National Security Council, on down to the PFC rescued the other day :) A wonderful thought after the Clinton years, and no thanks to the bleading heart cowards on the left.

My heartfelt condolences to the families who have lost loved ones since Sept 11th. And, my undying respect for military members brave enough to fight for the freedom of those under the yoke of oppression in the middle east (Afghanistan and Iraq).

ROGER THAT, LEE!

Lee,

I'd be proud to buy you a beer, or a cup of coffee, any time, any where! :)