Mickey Thompson tires cracked

84gbodyss

Hey guys I need your opinion.I have a set of drag radials I bought a few years ago.They have never been on the road.The tires pretty much sat in the garage while I finished my project.I noticed some small cracks in tread.Are these safe?Should I get new ones?I would feel bad to sell them if they are not safe.Thanks!

Those tires are 7 years old. Not a few. I would not run them, but ask MT see what they say.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Well I have been talking to Jason at Mickey Thompson he is really nice and offered to help.He said they are passed the recommended service life and would not run them others say different.I just don't have money to spend on a new set right now.

Just remember saving a few hundred on tires can cost you a lot. If that thing delaminates on a run the least of your problems will be a trashed quarter pannel.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I probably won't run the car at the track it's mostly for car shows,cruise nights,etc.I understand where you guys are coming from.

Looks like ozone has done them in....
IMO, they are junk, and unsafe to use. We had a pair of ft runners do the same thing, only worse!
They were stored in an upper storage area in the shop. When I retrieved them, I dropped them to floor. They split on the sidewalls!:jawdrop: I cut the sidewalls out w/ a knife, so no one else would get hurt.

As chuck suggested above , put a Hole in the side wall, much easier with a drill though.
It sucks to have to do but you don't want anyone getting hurt by using them.

Bryan

Why do people buy tires at the beginning of a build?
I see it all the time when I go to the chassis shop. A car that's taking 3 to 5 years to build....but it has new tires.?

Why do people buy tires at the beginning of a build?
I see it all the time when I go to the chassis shop. A car that's taking 3 to 5 years to build....but it has new tires.?

sometimes you need tires for mock up, and you don't just find these kinds of tires sitting in the used pile behind the local Tires Plus...

Thanks guys for your input.Hard to spend another $500 but I have to :(
I would rather have cracks in the side than the tread periphery.......watch this video and you will be happy to buy new tires, not exactly an apples to apples comparison but it gives you an idea of what can happen.....

Wow that's a lot of damage thank God no one was hurt.Now I can see what bad tires can do.That is scary.

Just one of the reasons I haven't run my car at the track . Old tires can be deadly. On a side note, when I was a kid my dad would run tires until the blew out. We changed a lot of tires on the side of the road when I was young. He would buy new for the front and put the old on the back until one let go. The rear fenders on our vehicles were usually bent up.

Thanks guys for your input.Hard to spend another $500 but I have to :(

What size are/were they? I have a set of 16" I'm longer using. Went to 18" so I have no use for them. They're two years old with 300 miles on them. Here's a couple of pictures if your interested.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    927.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG