Methanol through a Whipple blower?

forcefedhatch

Alkyholic
I got rid of my Honda and picked up a car off of a friend. It's a 2000 Mustang GT with a 2003 Cobra motor, stock internally with a Whipple/FRPP blower, big throttle body, and full exhaust. Currently pullied for about 16 pounds of boost on pump gas. I want that to go up, way up :) I think 22 pounds of boost and ~650 RWHP on pump gas would satisfy my cravings untill I get the big bore stroker built :) Has anyone sprayed methanol through one of these blowers before? Is it going to hurt the rotors at all on a mostly daily driver? How would you spray the alcohol, probably something MAF based right?

I did one for a Cobra at like 18-19 PSI it went over 600 RWHP. Shot through the blower. Used the MAF

Piece of cake ;)

2003 Cobra & Alky

Razor,
WOW! 600rwhp is very strong.
Did this car have the stock Eaton on it and what do you mean by "Used the MAF"?
I've got a couple of friends on this board that have been telling me I need to put Alky on my '03 cobra. I've been reluctant, because of rumors about the alky and how it affects the rotors.
Are there any long term issues caused by the alky that you are aware of? Right now I'm making about 470rwhp with a stock Eaton and 16lbs of boost. What kind of power increase should I expect by adding alky to the mix and maybe adding a couple more lbs of boost? I've looked at your controller and seriously considered it. It is a Very Nice.

Any input is much appreciated.

Jannetty Racing in NJ did the car. It was a Whipple not an Eaton. The GTP/GS guys have been spraying through the blowers now for some time. I got that ball rolling back in Jan 03 when I did the GS for WH1Denver. So far...no issues.

What Ted did was pick up the signal from the MAF and then adjust the system to progressively increase with the MAF signal increase. That motor has a 90 MM TB. Ive done other SC Stangs using a MAP sensor.. tho for the centrifugal blowers, its the way.

At least you can play.

HTH

If you check out the current issue(june 05) of "muscle mustangs & fast fords they have a article on a methanol kit from Snow Performance that is tested on a 03 cobra with a whipple. Looks like a sureflow pump they are using. They are getting the signal from the MAF sensor. It is progressive as well

snowperformance.net

Spraying straight meth will wear the coating off a stock Eaton M90. This isn't really much of an issue cuz the coating is there mostly to keep noise down. Spraying window washer fluid (~40% meth) seems to offer the best of both worlds w/out hurting the blower for roots type applications.

Originally posted by Dope_SHO
Spraying straight meth will wear the coating off a stock Eaton M90. This isn't really much of an issue cuz the coating is there mostly to keep noise down. Spraying window washer fluid (~40% meth) seems to offer the best of both worlds w/out hurting the blower for roots type applications.

I disagree. And I disagree spraying any mix that has any kind of dye in it. Lastly.. like I said.. I "have" real world data. Zero issues on straight alcohol through the blower. Over 25K miles zero issues.

Your data is assummed ;)

HTH

There is a very big notion around the SVT guys that the rotor coatings will come off with alcohol. Though, I've seen non alcohol sprayed eatons that have their rotors worn so I don't think it can be proven conclusively. I'll be finding out for myself next year on the HD-150 when the warrenty wears off. :cool:

As for the Cobras, I have a few in my club www.gulfcoastmuscle.org that are 600+ cars. One whipple car is close to 700/700 right now on 93 octane w/o any type of alky. I would be curious as the effect of a kit on that car.

I've been running straight methanol thru my whipple charged 03 cobra all summer. No problem except traction, 684HP 10.8@132

Mark L

TurboSy said:
I've been running straight methanol thru my whipple charged 03 cobra all summer. No problem except traction, 684HP 10.8@132

Mark L

Attaboy ;)