Merkel Engines question

vacuum 6

I have chuckers
Per the website: Race applications will benefit from an external oil line running from the turbo oil supply fitting to the passenger side lifer oil galley in the rear of the block. The reasoning behind this external line is simple; you increase volume and pressure to the rear main and rod bearings because oil is now supplied from both ends of the oil galley rather than just from the front as is the case with the stock arrangement. Where the turbo feed fitting exits the block (front, passenger side) the block must first be drilled to 9/16" to the cam bearing then drilled 1" deep using a 19/32" bit, then threads tapped to 3/8" NPT to accommodate the new fitting and 3/8" external line.

Anyone doing this?

For reference...Jack Merkel Performance Engines > Engines > Buick Engines > Buick 231 Turbo V6 "Street/Strip"

My first question is:

Can you drill on the block on a running engine and not during a rebuild?

I would think you would need to hot tank the block after playing with the oil ports..

Here is my take on this mod.

I dis-agreed with Jack when he first published this as well as his drilling the block feed hole to the main bearings, and our experience since then verifies we do not need, or want to any this.

The 109 block we did that went into the 8's, and many 109 blocks in the low 9's, and hundreds of others sent all over the map have survived extremely well without those mod.

Also, none of those had HV pump gears either.

We have had lots of carnage with 109 blocks splitting webs, cracking cylinders and other issues, but even then the main and rod bearing are fine. :)

The only thing I have been interested in doing with the rear port is to add an oil gauge to track loss....

Here is my take on this mod.

I dis-agreed with Jack when he first published this as well as his drilling the block feed hole to the main bearings, and our experience since then verifies we do not need, or want to any this.

The 109 block we did that went into the 8's, and many 109 blocks in the low 9's, and hundreds of others sent all over the map have survived extremely well without those mod.

Also, none of those had HV pump gears either.

Interesting...