Melling HV Spacer or Not?

B.B.

Immature Member
I have my Front cover off changing the timing set and was thinking of installing this Melling HV oil pump kit that I bought years ago and never used.

I did a search and read thru the post, but also read some critics of the plate.

I only have around 8lbs hot at idle and I can only find the highest pressure springs that came with the kit. Will this be ok?

Also, will it be ok to bead blast the cover while I have it off? If I just make sure to wash it very well afterward.

Just realized I posted in the Lounge, meant to post in TECH.

Sorry bout that

I moved you thread for you.

You'll get a lot of answers all over the board. IMHO, use a standard volume pump. Install a booster plate and be done with it. I had a HV pump on my engine before and after 45000, all the cam bearings began to push out of the journals. You''ll have to decide for yourself what you want to do, but that is my experience with HV pumps.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
I moved you thread for you.

You'll get a lot of answers all over the board. IMHO, use a standard volume pump. Install a booster plate and be done with it. I had a HV pump on my engine before and after 45000, all the cam bearings began to push out of the journals. You''ll have to decide for yourself what you want to do, but that is my experience with HV pumps.

Thanks for the move.

Are you talking about the thin Kenny Belle type booster?

Sealed power and mellings also makes a booster plate. What it does is renews the surface that the pump gears ride on. You can use the Kenne Bell booster plate, or buy a version of it from your local parts house or local machinist.

I installed a Kenne Bell booster plate this weekend in my T. It brought my oil pressure up to 16 psi hot idle (from 11-12 psi hot before). Worked good for me.

Melling part# P20I for the booster plate at any local parts store under $15. Frank:)

I took my pump apart and found the gears have wore the plate. A half moon shape on the gear with the rod and around the inside of the other gear. It looks like it has wore a few thousands deep.

It also has some scoring on the housing around the gears.(Engine was rebuilt years ago after a bout of nitrous, Me thinks its from then.I found NO shavings in pan, now)

I measured clearences:

Gears to housing: .002-.003

Lash: ~.002

Gears were ~ .004 taller than housing, (Is that enough?)

Suggestions?

Could I use the booster plate and my new HV gears? Overkill?

First of all, if you install the taller gears, you have to use the spacer. Your timing cover doesn't sound like it's in great shape. Your low oil pressure could be due to worn main bearings, also. Think about throwing in a new set if you have a lot of miles on the motor. It's a snap. :cool: