Mega Squirt ???

Have you heard anything?I met some guys from diyautotune at hot rod drag week that were running it on other stuff and I am thinking of going with it.They seem to be small grassroots type of people with a good system.I'm hoping someone with GN is using to help with a base map to get me going.

If you buy the kit and assemble it yourself and IF you can get it working with DIS (You need the addon), it looks like a decent deal. If you have to pay someone to build it, might as well buy a used FAST.

I'm planning on doing a EFI conversion on a friends car (302 V8) with it this winter. We'll see how it goes.

The MSII is set up for DIS and they are curretly working on SFI and COP cappability for release soon and assembled kit is 420$ so seems like good deal?They seem to have excelent support just wondering .

I have some friends around here using it and loving it.
Perish was running it on his turbo 6.0 Chevy truck with good things to say about it.

been looking into this also,have a friend that was running it on his turbo stang... nothing but good things to say about it... my concerns are that its not sfi yet, not a big deal,it only supports upto 21# of boost ,maybe with a different map that could be changed... and from looking at the site ,i couldn't see that it supported d.i.s. just hei....would be cool if you could use a ls1 style c.o.p. (think thats what its called) coil on plug or one coil per cylinder... and eliminate wastespark ......

Megasquirt, thumbs up

I have a MS1 on a version 2.2 board and converted to run my '87 Limited by making an adapter harness to plug the stock wiring harness into. I don't have idle control on the v2.2 board but it didn't matter this morning when I cranked it at 37 degrees and it ran and idled. I'm using an Innovate wideband tied into the adapter harness to moniter air fuel.

Mark Riley
Turbo Tune US, Ltd
Greensboro, NC

I have a MS1 on a version 2.2 board and converted to run my '87 Limited by making an adapter harness to plug the stock wiring harness into. I don't have idle control on the v2.2 board but it didn't matter this morning when I cranked it at 37 degrees and it ran and idled. I'm using an Innovate wideband tied into the adapter harness to moniter air fuel.

Mark Riley
Turbo Tune US, Ltd
Greensboro, NC

Mark

The limited runs great. thanks for the test drive today. Car responds very well it had just a off-idle stumble from being a tad lean. kudos to having the first mega Squirted buick.

Pat Broughton.

A cheap way to get into a programmable system, but there are a few drawbacks.

Lots of help online, but no real support as each system is custom made so there are no real diagnostics if the system is not working right. Kind of like our Buicks in the sense that each is very different, yet all the same. The systems I have seen are limited to 21 PSI with the built in sensor. However that as well as the ignition are only limited by your abilities to add circuits and programming to the system. If you are new to tuning systems like this I would only look at this if you really like tinkering. If you ar edoing it because it is cheap stick with the stock Buick setup. If you are going fast enough the stock system does not cut it, then you are fast enough you should not be trying to get out cheap. Save money it can do, but saving time is a whole other question.

Greg Kring

the way i understand it parish was using the mega squirt to control the injectors only. he was using the stock computer to run his timing and engine monitoring.i think he was using efi live for the stock computer programming.i dont know the boost he was running but i would think it would be more than 21 #s.how do yall think it would work as a piggyback system on our buick computers

the way i understand it parish was using the mega squirt to control the injectors only. he was using the stock computer to run his timing and engine monitoring.i think he was using efi live for the stock computer programming.i dont know the boost he was running but i would think it would be more than 21 #s.how do yall think it would work as a piggyback system on our buick computers

Why would you want to keep the stock ecm on the car period. The megasquirt ecm can do everything a the stock ecm can do. I have a fast bank 2 bank efi on my gn and i gave 900 bucks for it used 2 yrs ago. you can buy a mega squirt 3 ecm and wire it up and have plenty of money left over for more parts.

DIYautotune.com

go there and check out the packages you can get.

I have a Megasquirt running a 350 TPI. It's cake.

If somebody could build a PnP harness to go from the MS's DB37 to the stock GM harness in the Buicks, I think you could make a mint selling a PnP Megasquirt II setup for these cars. The only thing that wouldn't work right out of the box would be Torque Convertor Clutch, and you could probably get one of the outputs on the MSII to drive that.

Hell, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Fully programmable EFI without cutting the wiring harness? Easily repairable if you can use a multimeter and a soldering iron and have half a brain?

I have a Megasquirt running a 350 TPI. It's cake.

If somebody could build a PnP harness to go from the MS's DB37 to the stock GM harness in the Buicks, I think you could make a mint selling a PnP Megasquirt II setup for these cars. The only thing that wouldn't work right out of the box would be Torque Convertor Clutch, and you could probably get one of the outputs on the MSII to drive that.

Hell, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Fully programmable EFI without cutting the wiring harness? Easily repairable if you can use a multimeter and a soldering iron and have half a brain?

i think that the ms3 board would be better suited for a buick. Mark R has got a ms2 running on the limited but he says that he is going to get a ms3 since there are more output componets on the motherboard instead of a outside relay board. all you would need to do is get a header connector out of a old 148 ecm or call john spina @ caspers to get header connector with the pins.

i think that the ms3 board would be better suited for a buick. Mark R has got a ms2 running on the limited but he says that he is going to get a ms3 since there are more output componets on the motherboard instead of a outside relay board. all you would need to do is get a header connector out of a old 148 ecm or call john spina @ caspers to get header connector with the pins.

You have to be careful with the terminology. From what I've read here and over at MSEFI.com, Mark is running a Megasquirt I processor on a version 2.2 board.

In order to use the IAC and have enough outputs to do boost control, knock retard, fan, and TCC, he should probably switch to a Megasquirt II processor running on a version 3 board.

You have to be careful with the terminology. From what I've read here and over at MSEFI.com, Mark is running a Megasquirt I processor on a version 2.2 board.

In order to use the IAC and have enough outputs to do boost control, knock retard, fan, and TCC, he should probably switch to a Megasquirt II processor running on a version 3 board.

sorry about the terminology there. I didn't know that there was a difference in the processor's i thought using a 2 board used a ms2 processor. just as using the ms1 board with a ms1 processor. i have read some on the MS efi. I plan on doing a ms 3 on my eagle talon.

As for talking about do the lock-up in the trans i don't think that is going to be a problem the older fast efi boxes didn't do lock either. i just use a manual switch for when i'm on the highway or at highway speeds. Doing that actually helped my fuel mileage in town.

Pat Broughton

future bits and pieces

Yes, it is a MSnS 1 on a version 2.2 board. Does the fan and I can probably do the TCC with it, but, I can't to the GM stepper idle control. I am going to do a version 3 board but am not sure if I need to do the MSII processor or not. I have one but I haven't used it yet. I would like it to do the idle control, fan control and probably the TCC but I won't use it for boost control. There are other ways to control the boost that are much more sophisticated about getting a boosted car to move quickly. I'll wind up spending more on boost control than the engine managment totals up too. I'll use a 3 bar map on the next ecu. This one is a 2.5 bar because I originally built it to use in a more limited boost, traction application and I didn't need more than that. I don't think I want to turn the boost up very much on this old Limited without going in the engine. It's had about 1,200 miles put on it in the last 9 or 10 years so that it now has about 138,000 on the clock. Engine has never been opened up for anything that I can tell, just runs.

Mark