Mechanic's quote at local shop

Guess

87 GN
Does this seem about right? I'm supplying all the parts listed.

$1,522 quote - install front end rebuild kit from Spohn with ball joints, Install front and rear springs/w isolators, install poly bushings for front upper and lower control arms, install front brake calipers/w pads and stainless brake lines, turn rotors and front end alignment. I was expecting about $600-$700 labor.

Theres no way id pay that much...you can rent a spring compressor take it all down send the bushings balljoints and control arms to your local machine shop and have them pressed out and pressed in..it cost me $190 to have mine done but that included sandblasting everything including the knuckles too... with the money you save you can get summit slotted and drilled rotors for $59 each and buy a case of beer and pizza for your friends,take a weekend and knock it out...Then all youll have to do is get a wheel alignment ...

I thought that was kind of high. Even if it isn't. I'll just buy what I need to do it myself.

I'm going to buy a compressor and some air tools and go to town. I found a good one with good cfm for about $430. Then $200-$300 for an impact wrench and hoses and I'll go to town on it. Then I'll have the basics for repainting that sucker later and whatever else I run into.

Cool havin at least 1 friend help does wonders..and now youll get the satisfaction of knowing its done, done right and you know whats under there....Use a jack under the swaybar when you take it down and also if theres a harbor freight near you they have a balljoint removal tool that does wonders,especially on the tie rod ends and centerlink....

Id say thats way to high unless he is replacing all the brake lines/front end components, and there are other issue(s) with the suspension like bad body mounts.

$1,522 quote - install front end rebuild kit from Spohn with ball joints, Install front and rear springs/w isolators, install poly bushings for front upper and lower control arms, install front brake calipers/w pads and stainless brake lines, turn rotors and front end alignment. I was expecting about $600-$700 labor.

That's way to high. Send me a pm and I'll be more than happy to help you. I'm in Hillsboro, less than 100 miles south of you. You just have to get here.:biggrin:

Holy crap that is a nice offer! Pm coming.

PM replied Don.:smile:

I have a friend in Hillsboro, fun town...I remember going to a party at a Dairy Farm..lots of People and a DJ...

I think I know where you were. You must be in DFW or Waco. Add a location to your user controls so we have some idea of where you live. It makes it easier if you need help like Don.:biggrin:

The shop change their mind and said they would do all I listed for $750 so I bit on that since they had already put my springs in.

Thank you Charlie for the offer. That was pretty cool. I'll get with you when I'm ready for rear control arms! Call me if you ever need anything and I'll see if I can cover that 100 miles in an hour. :biggrin:

Not a problem Don. You're welcome to come down anytime you need help or just want to come down and play. Got plenty of room and some neat things you would enjoy. I just got my rear fender partially installed today and I'll be pulling the rear for some mods you might be interested in. Check out my thread in the B4Black section if you want to see what I do.

The shop change their mind and said they would do all I listed for $750 so I bit on that since they had already put my springs in.

Thank you Charlie for the offer. That was pretty cool. I'll get with you when I'm ready for rear control arms! Call me if you ever need anything and I'll see if I can cover that 100 miles in an hour. :biggrin:

So first they try to rip you off for 1500.00 but since you didn't bite they are willing to give you a fair price. it may be just me but id runaway from that shop and BTW look out for the EXTRAS.
Good luck

Charlie you are the man wish you lived around the corner MMM in second thought may be a few blocks away LOL

PM replied Don.:smile:

I think I know where you were. You must be in DFW or Waco. Add a location to your user controls so we have some idea of where you live. It makes it easier if you need help like Don.:biggrin:

Actually, I was just visiting from Choctaw,Oklahoma. I think it was WACO, I know she was from hillsboro, and the party was in the backwoods. Lots of cool peepz. I think it was a graduation party.

Actually, I was just visiting from Choctaw,Oklahoma. I think it was WACO, I know she was from hillsboro, and the party was in the backwoods. Lots of cool peepz. I think it was a graduation party.

Well I have no idea where you were then. Hope you had a good time down here though.:)

Well in Texas 100 miles is around the corner David.:biggrin: Very few people understand that for some reason.:confused:

LOL, so true. I drove 12 hours to go to South Padre and never left Texas to get there.

I saw your thread in the other section. I wish I had the knowledge to do something like that. Thanks for the invite. I'm sure I'll be coming down soon for some other mechanical touch ups the car needs.

Well that's just one of them I've started and haven't quite finished. The second link in my sig is the turbo I'm building but am currently stalled on. I had to get the car started before I could finish it because it has to be fitted up properly. The B4Black section is getting a litle more attention these days because of a few of us that are doing mods that haven't been done before. dr_frankenstien (Aj) is working on a hybred and he's in the 11's so far, but it weighs about 1K less than a Regal body does.