ME-R supporting parts

tyrod

Would someone please tell me what extras you have to have on hand to make the ME-R work? Not necessarily to fine tune but to function. I am aware that the wideband o2 works well with it but do you have to have it? I have already asked these questions on the ME board. I may have overlooked it on the ME website but even on the price of the ME-R it just says "around 600." What am I getting when I order this system? My ecm has been modded for low imp drivers. Is there anything else it needs? Should I go with the extender chip and ls1 maf?:confused:

well, there are a couple of other things needed.....you must send your ECM to Bob Bailey to be modified to work with the ME-R (this is a different mod than the drivers)

you must relocate your MAT sensor to the throttle body or up pipe and for that you'll need an extension for the MAT cable

you need a 3 bar MAP sensor to replace the stock 2 bar and you must connect a couple of wires to the ECM harness

that is why the price is "around" $600

if you need to pass emissions, you may have some trouble with this setup....it is primarily a race setup....you'll only have one timing setting....really no "street" timing available

The ECM mod is included in the price.
You will need a alum bung to relocate the IAT and will have to lengthen the wires. Paul Ferry at Partsnstuff has the proper 3/8 (if I am not mistaken on the size) bung. And the cost to have it welded in if you do not have acccess to a TIG. I paid 10 bucks.
The most expensive part that is not inclusive in the $600 price tag is the 3 bar MAP. About $60 bucks at your friendly local GM parts counter.

My 16 POS ME-R has TWO timing settings. All I need. I run 21 deg on alky, 26 on 116, Eight WOT fuel settings on each, with the offset feature it is really 16 settings each, which I have yet to mess with to really fine tune to achieve the MAX effort. (that was pretty cheesy huh?):p HTH

hmmmm.....my ME-R used the same timing across all 16 positions.....the "regular" ME had two timing settings, but not the ME-R unless Steve has changed something?

there also is no offset on the ME-R, thus the use of all 16 positions for fuel settings......

or maybe I have been out of the loop?

I did away with the offset function so on 72 and up injectors you get 1 timing and variable fuel for the 15 positions :)
You would need Bob's spark translator for timing adustments, but my advice is to run C-16 and keep the boost where you want it and go.

If you have a street car the extender chip and translator works very well. It may get a little better milage than the R but I am working on that at the moment :)

Steve

Forgot the boost controller. I should have had one anyway before the ME-R as the Greddy ProfecB specII offers so much more control over your boosting. Brian

Why do you keep saying bc??I was planning on using a regular old adjustable WG on an ATR dp.

Ive got one but I see any use in it.Once the initial tuning is on and everything's OK,mine is gonna be set at 24 psi;)

broke1: the me-r doesn't pulse the solenoid, you need a standalone boost controller of some sort, the bstc works fine for it and is a bargain. You could also run it tuner style I guess, but I'm not a big fan of that setup.

Could you elaborate on that.If the MEr doesnt use the Boost cyl.how does this control boost if it does hook to the Boost CYL?:confused:

Hey Steve, My ME-R has two separate timing settings and the offset function. Should I consider having my chip updated to the current technology. Thanks,

No ME chip has any provision for controlling boost.......

you must control your boost via some other method than the ECM (tuner style, external wastegate, stand alone controller, etc)