ME MAFless?

Scott Atk

Whats the word from the MAFless users? Last I heard everybody had really positive things to say. Now that its been out for several months, is everybody still loving them?
Thanks,

Well, I had mine a month or two before the car got crunched and it was great. Cold starts needed to have the fuel bumped up a little bit but after I did that, it was great. Spoolup was faster, car seemed to rev easier, used less gas in cruise, was just neat overall. Not to mention once I took the screens out of the maf and had a clean path all the way from turbo through maf and big mouth cold air pipes, you could hear that baby HOWL. Once car is back together, a thdp with dump and a te45a are planned. Will be fun trying to keep the motor together :p I admit there is -one- thing that bugs me a ton about the ME-R, and that is that there is very little documentation with it. Steve does it this way to keep from giving you enough rope to hang yourself with. Steve, I bought the chip to tinker with and beat on the car a lil. geesh. Tell me how the bastard works. It's not like I've never seen a computer before.

I'm looking for the same info?
I called Steve on Fri and he told me about a guy in NY who was
running this thing and said it was great. But I'm still looking for some more info. :confused:

Originally posted by jastrckl
Not to mention once I took the screens out of the maf and had a clean path all the way from turbo through maf and big mouth cold air pipes, you could hear that baby HOWL

Why have a MAFless ME and still have a MAF?

The ME MAFless must work pretty well cause Roy "Boost" Garcia has run 10.01 @134mph with his stock block TSM GN that has the MAFless version of the ME.... Food for thought:)

Still very happy with mine. I've had a Mafless setup since their beginning. As far as documentation goes, Steve provides everything you need to understand how to adjust the various parameters within the Max E R. Steve's support of the Max E system is excellent and many times will call you on his dime to see how you are doing with it. He also get's back to your emails or phone calls in a very timely manner. He has set up a bulletin board available (for Max E R users) to compare notes, as well as ask questions about their setup.

The Max E R mafless setup is in many ways similar to a Fel Pro or Fast system in the fact that it allows a LOT of adjustability. This is a great advantage to the experienced tuner. In the same sense, if you ore not an experienced tuner, and are just learning about the Turbo Buicks, this freedom to tune in your system can also allow you to "shoot yourself in the foot"

For the average Joe who is running 12s and slower, there is really no need for the Mafless setup. It is designed for experienced racers who are going low 11s and "much" faster.
Even though it can support cars at the low 10 to 9 sec level, I have found that on my low 11 sec combo that it can also be very street friendly and my personal street setup with it is much better both in driveability, and gas mileage than with previous "fixed chip" setups.

Most all of the folks I know who have ran the Max E system whether mafless or conventional have been very happy with theirs, and continue to use it to this day. Maybe the reason that you dont hear a lot about it lately is that satisfied customers seldom make a lot of noise. :)

thanks,
Dwight Hayden

elevensecgn,
How is the cold start up? Iv'e talked to Steve about this setup and he said that he's just about got all the bugs worked out.

I just installed ME 16 , 83lb injectors, and went MAF coneless.

He tried to talk me into the MAFless, but im going to hold off a little while longer.

Chris,

I'm running 55# injs and only needed a minor tweak on cold start up (from his defaults). I can't vouch for how it works in extreme cold as I store my car during the winter months when the salt is on the roads. But it has worked fine for me through midwestern Novembers with no problems.

Dwight

I have had the ME R set up for a while now and it works great.Went a best of 11.47 @122 with my set up on a single 340 and 50's on 23lbs of boost. Since I have changed to a DP fuel set up and added the pro pain inj. No real testing with that yet but soon. Hope to go faster down in Bradenton in March.
I have had no problem with the cold start added a few numbersand the chip worked great on all the other default settings but I played with cruise fuel. Spoolup is awesome and gas mileage has never been better.
I have had a ME chip for about 3 years and once you get all the adjustabilities down there's no need for another chip and now with the ME R it's even better.
I plan on adding the Sparktranslator in the future and with that you have it all at 1/3 the cost of FAST or other set up.
Dan

blackbuick87: there's no reason to keep the maf, but after you take the screens out and all, it's basically just a pipe. plus you wind up with something fairly stock appearing that really isn't all that close to stock ;) anyway mine's unplugged thank goodness.

I have it for 55s also. It has awesome tuning capability. 22 MPG on mine;) I have yet to race it though. Now switching to 83s and a T-70, here we go again:rolleyes:

Chris i would say the bugs are worked out!! Steve has been working on the max effort for many years and if i know him will be for many years to come. The very first pass down the 1/4 mile with the maffless chip was in my car and it was in the 10s. I would like to be the first car in the nines with the r-chip but i have a feeling roy garcia will beat me to it at the tsm opener next month!!!

Im running it now .customer support is unreal. Dwight put it on my car @morroco last year .it never idled that good.we had to lean out the the 0-1900 number other than that I have had a blast with it.I was running a totally differant combo towards the end of last year and never got it quite tunned in .however it went a 1.41 short time @ 6.70 in the 1/8 @102 and change.still working on 3rd gear power but Steve ,Dwight, And Walt have been great.the spool up is awsome.I think the car went 10.70 after 3 passes in morroco