Maxed out?

TURBOV6

"SECRET PARTS"
Staff member
I was woundering if my GN is max of what it can do, it have been running very consistent the fastest I could go is 12.7 and my mph maxes around 109. My o2's are around 790's with no knock and boost is around 22-23lbs. I know I got to work on my launch technique but with the mods I got right now and with a 2.0 60ft what can I do to squeeze out a little more HP?

I also has a 86-87 NOS kit in my Hot air and was planning on removing it and use it in my GN and use it as a dry system and doing like a 25 shot just to give it a little kick and to cool the charge. What do you guys think?

Most of the cars with you mods that I have seen are running 11.7-12.2. Looks like the traction is killing you. MPH should be well over 109, more like 112-115 MPH.

I agree. If you can get the 60's down you should be in the 12.2 @ 111 range.

With 1.70's I run 12.4's @ 107 and with 1.60's I run 12.1 @ 110ish.

I launch with 15psi of boost..

ks

I was running those times when I had all my stock stuff. Are you locking the converter?

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
I was running those times when I had all my stock stuff. Are you locking the converter?

I will have my trans checked out I might not be a lock-up, but if my 60ft got better my mph will increase?

My question is with my 60ft the way it is, what can I do to lower the ET's?

Traction? Our track suck a@@!

If you haven't replaced the valve springs yet...Do it!!! I would bet that you will see more mph if you change them...If you already have, then I don't have any ideas other than what was mentioned so far... ;)

Your mph will increase a little with a better 60', but if you have a lockup converter and you lock it up, you could get another 3-4mph easily.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Your mph will increase a little with a better 60', but if you have a lockup converter and you lock it up, you could get another 3-4mph easily.

Ok i'll have it checked out!

26" tire, loose non-lockup converter, stock heads and cam, 109-111 mph may be all you will ever see. With a really loose/inefficient converter, you may be seeing 5400 RPM through the traps (109 mph=5000 RPM with 26" tire and a locked converter) which is very hard for some stock motors to pull, especially if the valve springs are original. If your converter in a non-lockup, Try a taller tires like 28". It will help your traction problems, also.

your mph will not change much if you improve your 60' time ...if anything, it will go down a bit.....mph is a good indicator of hp....et is not directly proportional to hp because of traction issues

at that mph, your 60's should be in the 1.8's or so

Jackson,

Your track does not do much in the way of prep and you are not going to have much luck in the way of traction without true slicks. I think you should listen to UNGN and get yourself a set of MT ET drag's in 28x9 to start with.

Then you need to launch the hell out of that thing. Get your launch boost up around 8-10psi or more if you can hold it and watch you 60's drop and your ET's improve.

Woody, (azgn)

I understand the concept of how your mph will drop if your 60' improves, but in a case like this where he is not getting the power to the ground properly wouldn't the mph pick up if he hooks well, and is putting out more HP on the launch? IE 10psi launch instead of 3 or 4?? I would think his mph would go up in this case.

What about the catalitic convertor ,gutted , test pipe , or hi-flow? Got to get the air back out of the motor. Have you got a good air filter on the car. Also what chip you running?

Clayton

unless he improves his power output, the mph will prolly decrease...."theoretically", you should run the same mph on an off idle launch as you do with a balls to the wall, wheels up, launch........I see faster mph on my car with easy launches if I don't change anything else (like 121 mph with 1.8 60' and 119 with a 1.5 60')...think this is sorta typical

now, if he loses the cat etc......et should go down and speed should go up=more hp=better launch.....the key being more HP......guess more HP is ALWAYS the key:D

I don't disagree totally because every car is different but I have proven that increasing the 60' can increase mph.. If I don't have a decent 60' then the et and mph sucks.. If my car is going faster at the 60' then I have more momentum going for me to gain mph on the top end IF my car has the HP to make more MPH on the big end.
Some cars may be limited to the HP and no matter how good the 60' is the MPH may never increase. My Stang was that way. It always ran 122mph. It ran 11.60 @ 122 and the 60's were 1.60' for MANY years. Then I modded the control arms and it went 11.10 @ 122 w/ 60' 1.47. It was just limited to 122 mph because it was HP limited.

I always preferred to tune for MPH because this shows potential and I'll figure how to launch it..:D

ks

Originally posted by steve h
What about the catalitic convertor ,gutted , test pipe , or hi-flow? Got to get the air back out of the motor. Have you got a good air filter on the car. Also what chip you running?

Steve h....

No cat, 3" test pipe and I got a straight through 3" exaust, and a Joe L. race chip.

And also I got a 2.4 60ft but my mph was still around 107-109. So in my case a better 60ft will only make a slight difference for me.