Max A/C help

Kent Buckles

BBBAAD 6
:confused:It does not seem that my A/C is working properly on MAX A/C. Everything is fine otherwise, nice cold air, blowing ok, etc... It just seems that when I switch to max A/C, the blower is not kicking in to blow really hard? A relay or switch to be replaced? THANKS IN ADVANCE!

There may be nothing wrong if you are expecting the airflow of a newer car. This has been posted.

Does the blower cut out when switched to high fan?

I had to fix the connector under the ac box on the passenger side of the car. Follow the red wire from the ac relay down under the a/c box and you will find a connector there. Mine was burned in the connector. I just jumped around the connector and soldered the two wires together and everything worked again.

As mentioned above...

The a/c box is very BIG so a moderate amount of airflow will not provide the same velocity as the equal amount of air in a more confined better designed air box.

Jerry jr.

i have the same issue with my car but what happens is it only runs on defrosters(blowing cold air) and after 45 mins of the car running the max ac kick in. the vents are not switching over. i was told that my car was sitting too long before i restored it that the vac doors rusted shut so it will take along time before they free up. does anyone have any ideas why this is happening to me?

i have the same issue with my car but what happens is it only runs on defrosters(blowing cold air) and after 45 mins of the car running the max ac kick in. the vents are not switching over. i was told that my car was sitting too long before i restored it that the vac doors rusted shut so it will take along time before they free up. does anyone have any ideas why this is happening to me?

If you are talking about the air switching and coming out of the forward facing vents my car had the same problem. My car also sat a while and it ended up being the door right behind the two center vents being stuck. I pulled out the vents and pried the door open, it is sealed with rubber strips that i just stuck a screwdriver through and it popped right open.

Max AC causes the inlet air to go from 'fresh' to 'recirc', (and perhaps switches to dash vents only???)', and the ac compressor to run continously, rather than cycle... sounds like the door/flap that switches between fresh/recirc may not be travelling all the way/binding... or the recirc inlet is somehow restricted... I believe on max it may blow just a 'tiny' bit less hard, due to a more tortuous inlet flowpath in recirc.... but just a tad...

If you are talking about the air switching and coming out of the forward facing vents my car had the same problem. My car also sat a while and it ended up being the door right behind the two center vents being stuck. I pulled out the vents and pried the door open, it is sealed with rubber strips that i just stuck a screwdriver through and it popped right open.

thank you. i will have to give it a try.

I just replaced a small plastic actuator piece (behind radio) that all the vacuum hoses attach to to change the flow from the floor to vents to A/C etc. -- may want to check that out- my .02

As for the speeds on your A/C fan. All the speeds but high go through the resistor bank. When on high they get straight battery power (through the fuse panel). The wire beside the heater box, under the hood, over the years gets water and dirt in it or the metal tabs burn up. You can pull it up and take the plug apart. At that time you can see whether it's bad or not. Most likely you will have to replace it Or sometimes it can be repaired. That is where your problem lies. Have fixed many.
Good luck.

I just replaced a small plastic actuator piece (behind radio) that all the vacuum hoses attach to to change the flow from the floor to vents to A/C etc. -- may want to check that out- my .02

do you know the part number for it or what its called.

As for the speeds on your A/C fan. All the speeds but high go through the resistor bank. When on high they get straight battery power (through the fuse panel). The wire beside the heater box, under the hood, over the years gets water and dirt in it or the metal tabs burn up. You can pull it up and take the plug apart. At that time you can see whether it's bad or not. Most likely you will have to replace it Or sometimes it can be repaired. That is where your problem lies. Have fixed many.
Good luck.

I have noticed that if I run my A/C on the HIGH fan speed and turn the car off, the blower keeps running, even with the key out. Is that correct or what is wrong here? If I switch the fan to any other speed than high, then it turns off.

There is also a fan relay in the engine compartment on the pass side right by the blower and a/c/heater box. When my cars would lose the high speed A/C blower, I replaced the little relay and works fine now. Its a $12 part.