matching block number to VIN

phil conrad

I plan on having the motor rebuilt on my t type soon. The person who will be doing it has cores that he rebuilds before he takes your motor out. He does use the correct block and crank. My question is, is it worth having my own motor rebuilt ? He is willing to do it but it will take longer to have my block re done. I know on a lot of older cars the matching numbers make a big difference on value of the car. I do not recall any one seeming to care. However I am wondering if this will hurt the value of the car. What do you think ? :confused:

in my opinion a # matching car will always be worth more in the future.i would wait and get your rebuilt using the original block.

In my opinion, and that my not be worth much, but you have to have an eye on the future with these cars. The longer it goes, the more they are going to be worth just by the shear fact, between wrecks, theft, and just plain beating them to death, the numbers will be much less and they will go up in price. One that has all matching numbers is going to be a rare find and those with the money will pay more for it. Like I say, just my opinion, but history kind of backs it up. Look at a bb Malibu convt with matching numbers verses a non matching numbers like car. Major price difference.

Originally posted by 2quiktocare
Look at a bb Malibu convt with matching numbers verses a non matching numbers like car. Major price difference.

That's cause old 60's cars didn't ID the motor in the VIN. The only why to tell sometimes that a car was an original BB car vs a transplant is to match the block to the VIN.

All TR's list the Turbo V6 in the VIN, so it easy to tell it's a real TR. Number matching therefore isn't as important. But then some people are anal. ;)