Manual Steering Box

HGturboT

HomeGrownPerformanceLV
Is this a junkyard item and/or does a company sell it as a kit? If I do go to a junkyard what should I look for? I was told a S-10 but don't know year and if another GM model has the box. Thanks

Just go to the junkyard and get a box from any mid 80's S-10 or blazer. They are pretty common. Look at my website and in the hardware section there are a couple pics of the stock vs. manual. Be sure to get the pitman arm also. It's a pretty easy mod, but be prepared to use some muscle when things don't line up just right. HTH
Al

what can I look for to find best conditions-any play/damaged or worn internals/etc.

thanks

look for a 85-88 S-10. The manual box's are not too hard to find. They are very easy to spot. Very simple looking. Be sure to get the pitman arm with it.
To see a pic of the manual vs. the stocker, check out my picture site. Look in the "hardware" section. HTH

It's pretty hard to tear one of these things up. Most should be in good shape. Just rusty and dirty. Stay away from any trucks that may of been hit in the left front 'cause they may be bent out of shape. I picked out one that looked intact, however, it was real dirty. I just washed it real good and blasted it with a couple of cans of card cleener. then, I taped it off and gave it several coats of flat black paint. Pay a lot of attention to the rubber and plastic seals. make sure to get them clean and be sure to grease them the best you can. Good luck. You'll love the more simplistic engine bay set-up. let me know if you run into any problems.

Is the pitman arm a different lenght?.
If so shouldn't the idle arm also be changed?.
Just curious.

I used the pitman arm from the s-10. It fit well, with no problems.
As far as weight...I'd say the unit itself is about 5-10 lbs. lighter. (less metal) plus a little more for the lack of fluid and lines.

I like the set-up. Just remember, you will need a new bracket for the altenator. I used the Champion A/C & P/S delete one. It's a little pricey, but nice stuff always is.

Just a note. If your looking for a belt without A/C & P/S and the stock size crank, water pump and alt. pulley. It's a 38 1/2" or 39" Just get them both and see which one fits your car, and take the other one back.

Originally posted by waell
look for a 85-88 S-10. The manual box's are not too hard to find. They are very easy to spot. Very simple looking. Be sure to get the pitman arm with it.
To see a pic of the manual vs. the stocker, check out my picture site. Look in the "hardware" section. HTH

It's pretty hard to tear one of these things up. Most should be in good shape. Just rusty and dirty. Stay away from any trucks that may of been hit in the left front 'cause they may be bent out of shape. I picked out one that looked intact, however, it was real dirty. I just washed it real good and blasted it with a couple of cans of card cleener. then, I taped it off and gave it several coats of flat black paint. Pay a lot of attention to the rubber and plastic seals. make sure to get them clean and be sure to grease them the best you can. Good luck. You'll love the more simplistic engine bay set-up. let me know if you run into any problems.

thanks for the help, going hunting today. BTW good pics and what intercooler do you have on that buick, very big and has me interested.

Thanks again-Danni

Originally posted by HGturboT
thanks for the help, going hunting today. BTW good pics and what intercooler do you have on that buick, very big and has me interested.

Thanks again-Danni

That's the much debated Ford Powerstroke on my friend Ray's grey T-type.
HTH and let me know how hunting the bone yard goes today.
good luck, Al

how about an 83 S-10? found one at the yard but don't want to tear it apart until I know for sure.

Originally posted by HGturboT
how about an 83 S-10? found one at the yard but don't want to tear it apart until I know for sure.

I'm not 100% sure on which years will work. I know mine was from an '86. I'm pretty sure any first gen. S-10 could have the manual stearing box you need. Just look close at the pics on my photo site and compare.
Maybe someone who knows S-10's can chime in here.
Al