Making progress!

6togo

I thought i would post of some pics of my restore so far and i am sure glad i got the rotisserie standing and grinding sucks laying down doing it would be hateful!!

Attachments

• DSCN3602.jpg
    DSCN3602.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 639
  • DSCN3603.jpg
    DSCN3603.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 638
  • DSCN3604.jpg
    DSCN3604.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 639
  • DSCN3606.jpg
    DSCN3606.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 659
  • DSCN3607.jpg
    DSCN3607.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 653
Very nice! I hope to get there someday, but at the rate I'm going I'll be 70 before I get there... ;)
and by then I'll need a rotisserie!!

I only bought the roti to do the bottom of the car then it is for sale because i dont have the room but it makes life so much easier!!! need to turn it just give the handle a crank! ;) More pics to follow waiting on the frame at the powdercoat shop.
Chris

I only bought the roti to do the bottom of the car then it is for sale because i dont have the room but it makes life so much easier!!! need to turn it just give the handle a crank! ;) More pics to follow waiting on the frame at the powdercoat shop.
Chris

Chris,

Been there, done that. It's a LOT of scrubbing! Took me 2 or 3 weeks to chip off all the undercoating on my Maverick. Nice work, someone will be getting a good body out of that...

Looks good. One day I'd like to put that much time and effort into the details on a car. Very nice work!

The only person getting this body is me!:biggrin: I plan to replace everything front to rear and by the time i am done i will have to much in it to even think of selling it!
That coating on the underbody is some nasty S**T it laughs at a wire wheel on a grinder i found some norton mesh like grinder wheels that clean it well but they dont last to long the sharp edges tear them up i think i am about 6 deep so far. I am probably going to coat it with KBS rustseal then top coat it with Blacktop in satin black i was going to do Por15 but heard to many bad stories and this stuff is by a guy that worked for Por but got sick of there poor practices and service and went out did his own thing. I am still considering 2k epoxy primer from Magnet paints called Magnapoxy i talked to those guys and agreed about the Por and like products have a hard time sticking to clean bare metal but he said that primer will stick well but probably not provide the rust protection but i read that's wrong to lots of opinions out there makes it hard to make a choice!!!:mad:
Chris

I would use either an acid etch, urethane sealer, and a urethane 2 part satin black, or epoxy primer and a 2 part satin black. I used Dupont Hot Hues Hot Rod Black on my floor pans, and everything underhood, but it is expensive. SEM Hot Rod Black in half the price, and looks great as well. The floor pans on my car were still e-coat. I scrubbed them with solvent and a red scotch brite, then went to sealer.
Glad to see people going the extra mile on these cars. They deserve to be done right. This shouldn't be looked at as painting or making the car look better. It is preserving the car by using more more durable, modern products.

Well i am not much into showing it will basically be a weekend ride and maybe to the track a few times and i know if your not showing why go though all that trouble however i never done a frame off before so i figure i will do it right and like forcefed3.8's said i am preserving it with way better products!
This is the primer i was looking at Magnapoxy=
http://www.monstaliner.com/monstaliner_primers_spray_equip.htm

I am not knocking what or why, Just looking at your options.

U live in Maryland so road salts/chemicals ect...can be a factor on a driver.
My vote would be zinc primer and 2 part epoxy. The epoxy will fade slightly over time but tough as anything.

If you want slick epoxy prime and then top coat with a nice urethane.

Looking good.

Yea this is no way going to be a DD and it will see no weather unless i get caught! The rust coatings like the primer will fade the coating due to UV but it will not really see any under the body but i plan on top coating it with a UV stable paint. The bad part is i dont have a place to spray product thats why i am trying to find coatings that are able to be brushed/rolled on and still flow well that way they look sprayed on. I have bee looking at some lvlp paint guns also to keep over spray down to a min. and maybe make my garage a booth!
Chris

Finally got around to repairs the rear body mounts just a little more grinding and its ready to be coated!! I been looking at maybe doing a coating called Monstaliner on the bottom after the epoxy primer i hear good things about it and looks similar to line-x without the big price! however i know its not line-x but its not going to see abuse like my truck bed if i had means of transporting the body i would have concidered LX!
Chris
Here are some before and after pics=

Attachments

• DSCN3598.JPG
    DSCN3598.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 407
  • DSCN3601.JPG
    DSCN3601.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 422
  • DSCN3839.jpg
    DSCN3839.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 417
  • DSCN3840.jpg
    DSCN3840.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 398
Its been a while since i posted progress but here is where its at now! After stripping the bottom down to bare metal which sucked!!!! I repaired a few small rust pin holes in the rear floor pans and hammered the wheel well back into shape then applied two coats of 2k epoxy primer. After that dried i sealed pretty much every under the car with Sem heavy body 2 part seam sealer overkill i know!!! then today spray two coats of monstaliner coating on the bottom the texture came out similar to rhino liner. I think it came out pretty good a few small particals landed in it looks like the mix its self but nothing bad or real noticeable! here are some with primer and finished with the liner material!!!
Chris

Attachments

• HPIM3896.jpg
    HPIM3896.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 304
  • HPIM3897.jpg
    HPIM3897.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 306
  • HPIM3898.jpg
    HPIM3898.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 310
  • HPIM3899.jpg
    HPIM3899.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 309
  • HPIM3894.jpg
    HPIM3894.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 315
Some more!

Attachments

• HPIM3901.jpg
    HPIM3901.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 300
  • HPIM3902.jpg
    HPIM3902.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 298
  • HPIM3903.jpg
    HPIM3903.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 314
  • HPIM3904.jpg
    HPIM3904.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 305
  • HPIM3905.jpg
    HPIM3905.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 308
Few more sorry they are out of order!

Attachments

• HPIM3906.jpg
    HPIM3906.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 302
  • HPIM3907.jpg
    HPIM3907.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 310
Nasty stuff that 2k primer and the monstaliner which is 2 part also stink like H**l very strong stuff dont even walk in the garage without a resperator!! The wife is loving the smell NOT!!!!!

Im doing the same thing right know. I have a astro top so my rust issues are way worse. Im replacing both inner rockers and brace under floor is rotted at the ends. Its fun but it takes to much time.