Making a turbo power El Camino...

Billdogg

PSI FED 6
I'm new to posting on this site, but I've been reading and learning for a while. I have an 86 El Camino and I was trying to figure out what to do with it. I'm now set on making it Turbo Buick powered. I know they are both G-body's and I've heard it is a pretty straight forward swap. I've found a crossmember to put the 200 trans in. I've heard the 8.5 inch rearend bolts in. I know it'll need the buick harness. I need to know what else I'm going to have to change. Radiator? What will I have to do to make intercooler fit? Any advice will help. I am planning on getting a whole 86-87 donar car to do the swap.

Need a custom driveshaft, or just have yours lengthened. It'll work great, same front portion of frame, same firewall, however, I have heard recently that the A/C box may have to be notched for the DP.

Yes, I knew of the driveshaft, and I've heard something about that about the A/C box. Anything else anybody?

Thanks John

Making a turbo power El Camino

How did your transplant work out? I am looking at doing a 1980 El with the drivetrain and rearend out of an '84 T-Type and am looking for any tips? I would like to change up the front nose and hood. Did you go that far?

Holy Old Thread, Batman!

Anyways, I would get in touch with Steve Wood on the other board. He has done this conversion. I saw pics once, but I forget.

I am very interested in your progress (and setbacks) as this is the direction I also am headed. Please continue to post, and good luck!

There is a hybrid section on this board and I'm sure someone there would be more than willing to help out. The swap has been done before. Good luck with it and post up some results along the way. :cool:

Wow, this is from a long time ago. I guess nothing is ever set in stone when I get ideas in my head. I sold the El Camino, and bought an 87 GN. That turned out to be a big mistake as the car was one giant bondo bucket. I now have a 87 T. So, I guess I got the same thing I wanted, just with a back seat.