Major fuel leak

chicagoTTA

Crack Baby
During a 35-40 mile round trip today, I used a half tank of gas. I can smell fuel from inside the car (tops off, windows down and moving).

Under the hood there's a VERY strong smell of fuel. But I can't see any leaks. Nor do I see any dripping onto the ground even when it's running.

I do see a sh*t ton of oil under the doghouse. Ran a rag in it and does not smell like gas though.

Anyone have any ideas of where to start? Or maybe any common issues??

Car has just over 5k on it now.

Just not sure where to start. :confused:

Maybe one of the flexible rubber lines down at the bottom of the engine is dry rotted. Probably the return since the car drove fine.

Charcoal cannister maybe?

If there is no drips on the ground.. then there isnt any leaks.

cars that are not driven get issues.. with 5k miles.. its a part of owning a low mile car.

Run the fuel system without the motor running. The Gn's have a grey prime wire by the back of the alternator. If you smell it strong there is a leak. Check hoses on the front of motor by power steering pump as mentioned above.

The only time I have seen fuel in the charcoal cannister is if the fuel pump hose is loose in the tank. Fuel sprays at the tank vent fitting.

Good Luck, Mark E.

Thinking back to one of my first posts, ( http://turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119631 ) I wonder if I have an injector stuck open. And/or serious washdown.

It almost makes you puke when you open the hood...

I've been planning to do fuel pump, hotwire kit, injectors and AFPR for a while now. Now would be a perfect time I guess eh? Just wonder if I need to order extra lines, etc.