Main stud hitting the oil pan

daviss

I've got about 1/8" interference with the oil pan and #4 main cap stud on the pass. side. I thought the pan was hitting the pick up tube but I took it off and still have the same problem. I cleaned and chased the holes before I put the studs in so they should be in all the way. It's hard to tell if the pan is hitting the nut or the stud. I haven't tried it with the gasket on but I can't believe it would give me enough clearance. Anybody else run into this problem?

Steve

Me too

We have run into anytime we ran studs. We turn the nut to 3/4 it's original height and we also cut the stud down so it barely sticks up past the top of the nut. We have tried denting ( READ HARD ) the pan so it clears. It is hard to massage the pan without distorting it. What i haven't tried is stacking two cork gasket the good ones like Dutt and seen if that clears? Anyone else have better idea's? I would like to hear them myself!
Jerry

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I don't understand why they don't make the stud and nut shorter to begin with.
Does cutting/grinding the stud or nut effect the strength?
Other ideas?

Thanks for the help
Steve

The nut must contact min MEANS MORE then 2/3 the height to have good strength! I have no idea why there what they are except they are also for a stage 1 motor so maybe there caps are a hair taller and need this stud? I have always made sure any fastner I have used had full thread engagement in anything i used. I just had my local machine shop cut the stud on the lath. I am not sure how they cut the nut maybe on the lath too? They also slightly trim the edge of the nut with a 45 degree to give a hair more clearance. I truly want to hear what others have done in case were the only two HAHAHA

Can I take the extra length off the bottom so I don't lose the handy allen key on top? That's a good idea to angle the top of the nut. I recleaned the stud bore and tightened it down a little more but not too much and got another .125" but it still hits. I ran the old rod bolt all the way down and pulled out a little dust from the bottom of the hole. I guess I'll take the stud to the shop tomorrow and have it cut unless someone has a different idea.

ANY OTHER IDEAS? Don't want to cut a brand new stud....

Steve

Ive never had a problem clearancing them with a hammer.

Ball Peen is what I usually use.

I always use studs & have never had nor even heard of this before? I have a few blocks here I'm going to look at now. Intersting??

I used a special tool I got from my brother. I'll rent it to anyone that needs it. Two whacks with the small one and a couple with the big one and a dolly to smooth it out and it's perfect.

Steve

Attachments

• clearance tool.jpg
    clearance tool.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 172
I recently disassembled an engine that had main studs and there was no issue with the stock pan and studs. It did have a few random studs that were shorter than others... do some kits offer a shorter stud or were ya'lls installed in the wrong spot by chance?

Custom Oil Pan

Never saw this issue until I had Stef's fabricate a pan for my dry sump set up. I wonder if somehow some studs got turned around or mixed up.

I doublechecked the short studs are in the rear cap and are fully seated. Are the N/A pans different from the turbo pans? I never thought of it until now if it's even the right pan. The guy who built the car did some interesting things for sure. Not bad, just interesting.

Steve

BTW JD That could be the first "ya'lls" ever typed on the board. Well Done!

NA pan could be different? I only have a 14 bolt NA to compare to so I'm not sure? I know that some studs are longer in the kit & must go in the correct places.

The kit had two shorter studs and I put them in the rear because the cap is shorter. The rest of them were all the same. There is no problem with the others. I've got it fixed now but really want to know why this happens on some motors and not others.

What really sucks now is I just went out to install the pan and got the wrong gasket. I hope they'll take it back. I bought it a year ago when I thought this thing would be put back together.

BTW JD That could be the first "ya'lls" ever typed on the board. Well Done!

lol I didn't even realize I put an apostrophe in there... i guess if I really want ya'll to be a real word I better start using the correct punctuation with it;):D

Use a 12-pt nut on the rear cap instead of the 6-pt., and/or have the machine shop spot face the cap...

K.

Thanks man, I think the special tool did the trick already. Gonna button up the bottom end tonight and start on the top.