Main clearances

gmpower6

Well started the motor rebuild tonight and already hit a snag.

Clearance all the way threw the mains were .0028 to .0003 to much. I was using stadard bearings with a polished crank. I should go and get some .0001 i would thing it come out ok?
Lets hope so i am NO big hurry or anything just what to get somewhere between .0018 and .0020 on the mains if i can.

What should i do? Shoul a .0001 do for the clearance or not?

Thanks Sean

All you need! That will put you at .0015" which is perfect! What temperature are you at where you are using the plastigauge to do your measurements?

Jesse could you explain that to me? I thought it is to much .0030? That's what i read on the mains. The temp was at 70 degree's. So i don't need a different bearing then?

I am using clevite 77 2310v series.

Thanks Sean

If you still have a std/std crank that has been polished, and your clearances are at .0030, then yes, if you can find .001 under bearings, that will take you down to .0020 and you will be okay...

If you are getting .0028"-.003" clearance on the mains now switching to a .001" oversize bearing will tighten it up to .0015"-.002" which is perfect! Yes, you need new bearings
:(

Thanks Jesse know problem on getting bearings. I thought it was a shot in the dark on a polished crank. Well i guess i need to get different rod bearing then also.

Thanks Again Sean

UNDERSIZE....not oversize...They sell those too...for those who want more clearance....

UNDERSIZE!!!