Magic E-clip

ljo

I've been turbo 400 obsessed lately. I've been watching Flip Williams video, reading Ron Sessions book, and checking out any forums I can find. I fabbed a plate to mount my kent moore trans fixture (thanks ebay) to my engine stand. I was itching to mount up my good (working, but leaking) '66 core, as this would be my first serious attempt to build an auto trans. I've torn into a couple of TH350s that I've broken, just never had anything left worth fixing. Hesitant to tear into my good core, by shear luck I came across a junkyard core that had most all of the bell busted off. It fell out of the vehicle somehow? Okay, I will stop boring you all and get to my point. I found the front accumulator(plastic) E-clip was under the direct pressure plate on teardown. The pressure plate was busted in one spot. How did that get under the pressure plate? It seems to me that the E-clip got in between the clutch and the pressure plate and when direct applied it busted that section of pressure plate?? Or did the trauma of the trans falling cause this?