MAF to MASS swap on a stock car?

newtownhood

Car Audio and Electronics guy.
I have a basically stock '86 (k&n stock airfilter, straight 2.5 exhaust, 2800 stall, Taylor 409's) and the car is pretty quick, but idle and off idle is meh. I have a basically new (20k mile) MASS off a '96 Impala SS. Is the translator and that MASS a good way to improve driveability? If not, are there any gains? Do people remove the screens or not? Is the stock rubber hose bad to use? I see everyone uses the hard inlet pipe instead. Sorry guys I know this is basic TR stuff but this is my 1st GN forray. I've owned the car 16yrs though

What chip do you have installed? You have to set your correct chip and maf type inside the translator box. Do you have the instructions to verify your settings are correct, before assuming something else is wrong? If not, tell me your chip type and I can tell you which of the 4 switches should be on/off. MAF should be set to 0 for base. Did you set your TPS to .42 key on, engine off? Also, what is your line off fuel pressure set at?

Last edited:
That MAF is a serious upgrade. The stock units are just to old these days to work. On the screens, it doesn't matter. If yours is damaged, feel free to toss it.

On the hose, the main reason to get rid of it is because it gets a hole rubbed in it and basically becomes trash. It won't work with your 3.5" sensor anyways. (and the stock airbox won't work with a solid pipe).

No chip or any other upgrade not mentioned. I just have the LT1 Mass. so I'd need to get the translator, 3-inch hard pipe and cone filter?

Can I get away with not running a chip? I have an old Thrasher 93 octane chip and I think 31lb injectors in the archives. But I'm looking to just make the car smoother, not faster which I'm told the Mass and translator will help?

The Translator will work with any chip. I would get the 3" hard pipe and cone filter. You don't need to change the chip if its running well for you.
Make sure the MAF you use is not modified from original. Do not remove the screen.

The Translator will work with any chip. I would get the 3" hard pipe and cone filter. You don't need to change the chip if its running well for you.
Make sure the MAF you use is not modified from original. Do not remove the screen.
Hey there, I hope no one minds me jumping in on this thread, but I’m looking to install a MAF TRANSLATOR / LT1 mass air. What are the advantages by installing these parts ?

advantage is 30yr old parts can go bad and give bad readings and your fueling is based off those readings ..reman units are usually not accurate and slow to respond which can lead to a lean condition with quicker spooling combos

no reason not do the maf translator and newer style maf

advantage is 30yr old parts can go bad and give bad readings and your fueling is based off those readings ..reman units are usually not accurate and slow to respond which can lead to a lean condition with quicker spooling combos

no reason not do the maf translator and newer style maf
Got it, I recently installed , new Turbo, downpipe, chip, injectors, Hotwire, fuel pump, intake 3”, .... seems to run great. I’m going to install a 2800 stall this month as well.

Don't remove the screen, it's purpose is to straighten the airflow over the sensor and to protect it.

Be careful with settings too, sometimes what people think is an LT1 sensor is actually LS Aluminum on the translator.

Be careful with settings too, sometimes what people think is an LT1 sensor is actually LS Aluminum on the translator.
I was ready the LT1 is coming as a 3” and LS , Z06 mass airs are 3.5”and 3.75” .....it seems like a plug and play system. Translator will know it’s an LT1 system.

no you have to open the box and set the dials and the dip switches for your application

no you have to open the box and set the dials and the dip switches for your application
Oh cool, thanks !!!! I ran a bone stock GN for the last 10 years, when the Turbo crapped out I started a land slide of mods, so I’m new to all this. I appreciate you input. Everything seems fine. At least for now. I’m going to order it anyways just because my MAF is 30 years old

Oh cool, thanks !!!! I ran a bone stock GN for the last 10 years, when the Turbo crapped out I started a land slide of mods, so I’m new to all this. I appreciate you input. Everything seems fine. At least for now. I’m going to order it anyways just because my MAF is 30 years old

you may want to think about a newer EFI ... by the time you add in a MAF , Translator, power logger, chip, scanmaster ... your almost at the price of a new ECU that has ALOT more features and refinement especially if the car is modded ..

You should really think about adding a turbo tweak chip it will make your car run a lot smoother and idle a lot better .