MAF suppose to hit 255 grams at WOT?

Turbojorge

Unstoppable
I know that 255 is the most that the stock computer will see, but am I suppose to hit 255 grams at WOT. I have a big mouth cold air set up (Air filter in front of bumper) and I can't get it past 230 grams at WOT with 17psi in 3rd gear. I do get 4 grams at idle, so I don't think my MAF is bad.

What are you guy's getting with stock MAF or reconditioned one's?

TIA.

Last time I checked wot maf it was at 252. And always at 6 grams at idle. I somehow got a good reconditioned one, as I have heard about 80% are not right for buicks. If I were to do it again I would of bought the lt1 translator maf.

i have the ls1 maf sensor and translator and i hit 255 GPS at WOT everytime...i just wonder if this is causing a performance decrease because the flow is most likely higher than 255....is this true?

Did you see 255 under those same conditions before you installed the big mouth cold air set up?

Do you have TurboLinks Boost Sensing Hardware?

Velocity of the air flow is a factor (though maybe small) in the MAF reading. The closer the K & N is to the MAF, the higher the velocity. The further away, the lower the velocity of the air flow. It's an easy test, just attach the K & N directly to the MAF and head back out for new readings - see what you get.

When I installed my Tomka kit back in May of 1999 the MAF numbers went down slightly - despite the increased density of the charge. All cars I've seen that have the open K & N attached directly to the MAF max to 255, despite running anywhere from a 1/2 second to 2 seconds slower at the track.

What is the true performance impact of these slightly reduced MAF numbers from a remote location of the K & N or TurboLinks Boost Sensing Hardware...well let the debate begin.

Personally I think it is negligible, I've ran an 11.9x with a max MAF reading of 246. I've seen cars run 14.2's showing that coveted 255 for most of the pass.

What about MAF lock (255) at WOT being programmed into the chip?

Last time I checked, my Ttype doesnt max out the MAF at WOT, it usually 230s, 240s. Im assuming thats okay, car runs fine.

with a new GM maf I installed recently and a big mouth 'type' cold air inlet I get 253-254 with 2 floormats still in place (don't ask:))

I never really noticed the MAF reading when I had the stock location filter. But I will check to see what readings I get.

No, I do not have the T-Link boost sensing option.

The fact that it does take the air a bit longer to get their makes alot of sense. I do think that I should be at 255 even If I have to sacrifice putting the filter back to it's stock location, but I'll get some track numbers on Wednesday with both systems to see which works best. The car is running better than ever!

I'll post the results here.

In my old car (high 11's @ 113-114), I always hit 255, EXCEPT when I had the Turbolink boost sensing hardware, then it would max out at about 230-235 and I saw a few degrees of retard, tried a few different things to make it work but always only 230, so I wound up SELLING the boost sensing hardware, shame because its nice to have...but-

Originally posted by FlyinGN
...........with 2 floormats still in place (don't ask:))

i've got a guess. (anything like the picture i sent you of my greenish steering wheel?)

earl

oh God Earl!!! :) nooooo nuttin to do with your 'green' wheel..
the repo mats have old throw mats over em to protect em..

on second thought.. maybe you *SHOULD* have 2 sets of mats too.. protection is good:)

most chips lock the maf value at 255 so you are getting the best fuel curve.....whether you read 255 or not is most likely irrelevant....you are prolly flowing at least 255 but because of changes in the airflow to the maf, the reading is incorrect

this is not something to lose sleep over if your intake system is efficient

when your engine starts breathing really well, you'll see 255 almost instantly when the gas is mashed (that's because you are way by 255......)

Originally posted by OldGrayII
In my old car (high 11's @ 113-114), I always hit 255, EXCEPT when I had the Turbolink boost sensing hardware, then it would max out at about 230-235 and I saw a few degrees of retard, tried a few different things to make it work but always only 230, so I wound up SELLING the boost sensing hardware, shame because its nice to have...but-

Most chips have the "MAF lock" in them, which will negate the above. With the proper chip, it should have no effect.

Also, how much boost were you running? If you were running almost 25 psi (the max of the harness) you were at the edge of the harness range. When I first came up with it, 25 psi was outrageous! More than anyone would consider running in a car with the stock ECM. Times have changed, and now with low timing chips, you can run more boost than we used to. That's why I've got a new design on the drawing board to work with higher boost levels. I just have to have some time and this month is NUTS with the Nationals, V3.0 getting close to release, new business (software consulting), and the always loved IRS finding a problem with what my old company's W2 not matching the one they gave me (and of course, my old company is belly up ... it was a "dot.com", so records are a problem).

Anyway, it's in the queue... the current boost harness works well with almost all of the later chips, since they have the "MAF lock" and other goodies in them.

Ken,

I should have known a fix was in the works! Not to mention v3.0 will be ASSUME!!!! Thanks Again!