Maf Sensor

Fasstcars

When only boost will do
I have an extra Maf sensor from my LT1 camaro. What is the advantage to getting the translator and running the newer MAF?

Originally posted by Fasstcars
I have an extra Maf sensor from my LT1 camaro. What is the advantage to getting the translator and running the newer MAF?

It's a newer technology.

If you go with an Extender chip, there are several other updates. The temp compensation for the MAF is better, anti-theft. No possibility of MAF drop-out.

One advantage.. you can't get the old MAF anymore from GM. All that is available are aftermarket "equivalents" and some are more equivalent than others. Seems to be a bit of trial and error in getting one that is correctly calibrated for a turbo 6. With the Translator, you have options, and there is additional tuning capability, as well as the ability to measure air flows above 255gm/sec, if you run more boost than stock.

Thanks for the input. I thought it would be better from an updated design standpoint but the mid 80's computers still only processes information so fast. Having it able to read more air flow would be a big plus. What items can you control with the translator. I haven't really checked into them before. The one on my buick now is not working properly so I may just get the translator instead of replacing the MAF.