MAF or not

"More Boost"

Major Member
why should i spend $$$ on a LS1 maf and $$$ on a translator when i could just buy a translator plus and not deal with a maf sensor at all? what are the downsides of this? if any? any and all input on this will be appreciated. thanks, Gregg

Actually you'll need the translator pro which is about $400 plus the harness and maybe some other stuff. Other than price the only other issue I could think of is whether or not you can dial it in as you'll have to do at least a little tweaking since the chip won't be doing it. I'm not suggesting you couldn't do it, I'm just saying that would be the only other hold back I could think of. HTH. james

Well if you can get the maftpro and sensor for near the same price as an LS1 sensor and the MafT GenII then it is a no brainer. Go with the pro.

That said. I have the MafT GenII. I already had the LS1 maf and the GenII provides me with all of the functionality I need. It is really a magnificent piece of equipment and I have nothing but glowing reviews for it. It makes tuning a breeze. My car has never run so well.

I would also add that a wideband should be considered a necessary add on. The wideband WOT tracking is what really makes these things shine.

Well if you can get the maftpro and sensor for near the same price as an LS1 sensor and the MafT GenII then it is a no brainer. Go with the pro.

That said. I have the MafT GenII. I already had the LS1 maf and the GenII provides me with all of the functionality I need. It is really a magnificent piece of equipment and I have nothing but glowing reviews for it. It makes tuning a breeze. My car has never run so well.

QUOTE]
do you still use a scanmaster with all this stuff? please,

I would. I run a regular trans now with a scanmaster and when I go mafless I intend to continue running a scanmaster.

Yes I run a scan master but the only thing I use it for on a regular basis is to monitor knock retard. The rest of it is more or less just a scan tool which is nice to have but not something you need to look at all the time. My wideband has a digital display that allows me to see my precise afr. It also has a simulated narrow band output and that is what is displayed on the scan master. Not very useful.

The chips for the gen II and the pro modify the data stream to the scan master so you can monitor some other neat things with it.

the only other issue I could think of is whether or not you can dial it in as you'll have to do at least a little tweaking since the chip won't be doing it. I'm not suggesting you couldn't do it,

Nothing changes with chip tunability. Translator Pro still uses and Extender chip with all the same adjustability features as any other Extender, It's just called and Extender Pro in this case, and reads a couple of inputs a little differently to allow for the use of speed density tuning.

prepare for weather change tuning.

I wouldn't say there's that much difference. Trust me, after racing my MAF based system for 20 years in all types of different weather and altitude conditons, the MAF based system does NOT compensate for weather much better than a well setup speed density system. Especially if you understand where the compensation factors come into play and how they're used.
But the beauty of this system (Translator Pro) is, it still uses the stock ECM and chip setup. That means the stock ECM is still using a MAF based input to control things.
The Pro replaces the MAF with a sophisticated speed density calibrated system with temperature compensation, and across the board WBO2 tracking, and then sends a signal to the stock ECM that it thinks is a viable MAF signal. And of course to make use of all the flow capability of a "built" setup, the Extender Pro chip can now recieve and act on any MAF flow rate up to 768gps of flow!! :eek:

Now, if you're on a budget like me and can't get all the pieces right away, you can run the system with the stock O2 sensor like I'm doing right now.
And you can even still run a MAF if you want. It's totally flexable.

The GEN II has almost all the features of the Pro except that the GEN II can't do speed density and is thereby a strictly a MAF based setup, but has WBO2 tracking.

The regular Translator is of course the regular Translator. BASE and WOT fuel (assuming an extender chip).

you'll have to do at least a little tweaking since the chip won't be doing it.

What I meant by that is if you run in speed density you'll be responsible for making sure the ecm sees the correct maf signal vice running a regular setup where the chip is going to get the right maf signal and there's really nothing to worry about. I didn't want it to sound like it was difficult because I don't know. I'm sure the startup maps are awesome, but I'd assume that there's going to be some need to tune to get it right as opposed to just driving it and leaving it on the chip burner.

On a side note I'd be very interested in knowing what all you (turbodave) have as far as your speed density setup goes. I'm going to make the switch and, like you, am on a tight budget. So I'm interested in finding out what the minimum I need to get started is.

What I meant by that is if you run in speed density you'll be responsible for making sure the ecm sees the correct maf signal vice running a regular setup where the chip is going to get the right maf signal and there's really nothing to worry about.

That's what I was trying to say. The Translator Pro, as shipped, for the turbo regals is so incredibly spot on perfect that in most cases there's no need to "tune" anything to have your car start and run every bit as good or better than it did before the swap. Think of the Translator Pro as the ideal MAF. Correct readings, with user adjustability. :D
I have fun looking at the "MAF" signal that the pro generates, and seeing that it's readings are virtually identical to what I had when I actually had a MAF

I didn't want it to sound like it was difficult because I don't know. I'm sure the startup maps are awesome, but I'd assume that there's going to be some need to tune to get it right

Maybe, maybe not. Mine required absolutely no tweaking and all my numbers (integrator) are spot on.
I also use mine as a closed loop boost controller which took over the duties of my BstC (boost commander) and I had to make a few minor tweaks in the boost control page to get my normally quick spoolup back to where it was.

as opposed to just driving it and leaving it on the chip burner.

On a side note I'd be very interested in knowing what all you (turbodave) have as far as your speed density setup goes. I'm going to make the switch and, like you, am on a tight budget. So I'm interested in finding out what the minimum I need to get started is.

Not sure I understand your last question. Can you elaborate? Ask anything you like. I have no secrets or magic potions.
May car's basic setup hasn't changed one bit in over 10 years.