MAF, LT1 or LS1...

3-5.0

The last couple weeks took my GN out of storage -mostly just upkeep runs not bad but trying to get running 100%. I found out it has a Red Armstrong 93 chip and it definitely exhibits some of the symptoms I found in searching this forum, searching idle, bogs off idle. So will be getting a new chip.

While I do that I want to get a new MAF, I got the translator and some sort of plastic reman unit supposed to be LT1...but whatever I'm not going to open that up again. So I got the basic translator, and am thinking about getting a new shiny lol MAF pipe, while I'm doing this is it better stick with the LT1 3in or LS1 3.5. It's a stock turbo.

Also the reason I ask is do they not make new MAF's or is a new one just too expensive. How reliable are these things used. Here's a vid of take off...don't ask me why I "rolled into it" at 5mph lol I'm stupid that way, I was going to say 15mph but looked down at speedo and couldn't see it fast enough and it felt like 5...anyway it exhibits the bog and the car actually dies as I pulled into the garage 2 mins later but starts right back up.

Last edited:
I went 10.6 @ 130 through a stock hose and 2 screen maf. Kirban's reman MAF is great and that is where you should buy one if needed. They bench test them so you know they are correct. The LT1 maf is fine too, I ran that once. Just stick a cone open element airfilter on it or the stock maf. Kirban sells a bracket too so the filter/hose doesn't ram into the alternator on acceleration. Did that once, in fact it cut the maf hose in half and shut my engine down.

Have you checked w/Eric(TT) He may be running a special on the translator and chip, you want to be looking to the future. I used the trans.+ w/the ls-1 maf and Mark Hueffman's cold air intake(4"). It provides adjustability of fuel and timing, providing some tuneability.

Thanks for your replies guys. I already have a new translator...I guess I already suspected where this was headed as far as what my requirements are for this car (bigger MAF not needed) I get ahead of myself trying to think forward cause I hate throwing money away...duh. I spent some time looking up combo's, PJC racing, some vids etc. I was looking up NEW MAF's and the only one I came across was a Granatelli brand for $371us...yikes!. I'll look for a suitable vendor that has a reman or tested LT1.

Eric does currently have a combo price on a 5.7 chip and injectors. I just ordered it last week. I asked about some price "breaks" with purchasing the translator as well but none were offered at this time.

BTW, I am upgrading to the LT1 MAF with this latest purchase. I could not get a straight answer on LT1 vs LS1 MAF. I chose LT1 b/c I already bought it a few years ago and never put it in.

Did you check at fullthrottlespeed.com Mike's a supporting vendor.

I spent a little time on there window shopping. I dunno, I'm always hesitant (or it may seem flighty) but I'm in Canada so I have to check out a vendors policy, do they ship to Canada, Who do they use to ship, will they take my credit card. I signed up for an account at one vendor only to find out AFTER they don't even take it -bank issued major CC.

Eric does currently have a combo price on a 5.7 chip and injectors. I just ordered it last week. I asked about some price "breaks" with purchasing the translator as well but none were offered at this time.

BTW, I am upgrading to the LT1 MAF with this latest purchase. I could not get a straight answer on LT1 vs LS1 MAF. I chose LT1 b/c I already bought it a few years ago and never put it in.

That's another thing I forgot about, I probably should get new injectors too.

(For information) Because the car was idling slow till hot, kinda searching and has that off idle bog I changed the fuel filter (NAPA gold it's all I could get on short notice), Spark plug wires, checked spark plugs, fresh gas and added a wee bit of octane booster which I didn't want to do but 91 is all you can get out here. Fiddled with the TPS, set to .42 per scanmaster pamphlet recommendation -it was at .44 before. I fall short on the WOT specs, can't get it that high -will fiddle again tomorrow. Changed out the MAF with a reman. Idles at 750, new inline FP gauge is 30 with vacuum connected, will check that tomorrow too.

Last year changed out coil pack and 02 with new ones.

I went 11.57 at 119 on a stock MAF and custom tubes. I eventually switched over to an LT1 because my stock one went out, and I had a hell of a time getting ahold of a replacement that was actually working. I went with LT1 just because it was slightly smaller than the LS one. It was starting to get cramped in my engine bay, lol.

With an LS1 MAF sensor and pipe you will need the angled IAC boss otherwise the IAC connector will be right up against the pipe and could rub through the wires.

There are thousands of cars running around with a LS1 sensor and no angle boss. MAF pipe size is the issue not the sensor size. I always use the LS1 when possible it consistently gives the best results and drivability. The newer all plastic sensors work even better now.
Mike

There are thousands of cars running around with a LS1 sensor and no angle boss. MAF pipe size is the issue not the sensor size. I always use the LS1 when possible it consistently gives the best results and drivability. The newer all plastic sensors work even better now.
Mike
I had a 3.5in MAF pipe from TR Custom with an LS1 sensor and it worked without the angled boss but over time it rubbed a hole in the wiring. That's why I'd suggest the angled boss.

Well that is a pipe problem, the 3.5" pipe we have clears fine as does a 3" pipe which many guys already have, if they have a 3" pipe I tell them to keep it the performance difference is so small if any its not worth it.
Mike