MAF in up-pipe??? advantages/disadvantages

agteacher

Life is GREAT!!
DONE the search.....found limited information on pros/cons of installing the 3.5 MAF on the up-pipe near/close to throttle body.

ADVANTAGES:
1.better driveability.
2.does not go rich when backing off the throttle at high boost.
3.quickens throttle response/gives more accurate MAF readings since its located closer to the engine.

DISADVANTAGES:
1.the maf sensor wire does get red hot and "IF" ALKY spray---BOOM!!!
2.seals blowing out on the compressor side causing the MAF sensor to be contaminated.
3.MAF sensor's internal coming apart and going thru the throttle-body

ASSUMEING all is correct....... what distance is best:
1.Distance the MAF is located from the throttle body?
2.Distance the MAF is located from the Alky nozzle?

THANKS for the Help and the reply

ALSO, hoping everybody had/having a GREAT CHRISTmas!!!!

Wow, sounds super risky bud. I and alot of other fast guys run stock location but I also know a few guys who have no MAF sensors. It requires a new chip and other things I would imagine but I know it can be done. I would just be worried about it coming apart and the engine having lunch!!!!!

At least the maf coming apart near the t-body wont take out the turbo, just the motor. LOL

Actually, i dont have this setup on my car, but Mr Tweak let me borrow his 3" maf that was installed in his pipe leading to the throttle body.

It was just there for testing and he was not concerned with it coming apart.

Just get it down far enough that the meth wont hit the maf or puddle on the sensor.

If oil contaminates it, clean it with electrical cleaner or maf cleaner, not brake clean.

Heck the same maf can fall apart on the suction side of the turbo, so whats the difference if it fails before or after the turbo? :)
BW

At least the maf coming apart near the t-body wont take out the turbo, just the motor. LOL

Actually, i dont have this setup on my car, but Mr Tweak let me borrow his 3" maf that was installed in his pipe leading to the throttle body.

It was just there for testing and he was not concerned with it coming apart.

Just get it down far enough that the meth wont hit the maf or puddle on the sensor.

If oil contaminates it, clean it with electrical cleaner or maf cleaner, not brake clean.

Heck the same maf can fall apart on the suction side of the turbo, so whats the difference if it fails before or after the turbo? :)
BW

Thanks for the reply.

you know....the ole saying---If "it" can go wrong, "it" will !!!! :biggrin:

OK, aside from the MAF coming apart :eek: -----ANY other problem(s) with the idea?

So why were you wanting to put it in the uppipe?

Im just curious? Are you having surge issues?

BW

So why were you wanting to put it in the uppipe?

Im just curious? Are you having surge issues?

BW
Not as much surging, as the idle "skip, skip then die" BUT, this only happen SOMETIMES!!!! We have tryed everthing (skip has been a on-going issue for about 2 years). No reason that we can find--powerlogger logs, WB reading, MAP changing, voltage, fuel pumps, change NBo2, different chips, warm/cold, IAC,vacuum leaks,fueling +/-, plugs and you name-it.....we tryed-it!!!!
So, we were just going to try something different.

no matter where you put it, it is still going to read the same amount of airflow. it's not liek the turbo creates air from nothing- it sucks it in, compresses it, then shoots it out towards the engine.
i think putting the throttle body after the turbo helps with throttle response, tho, which is why GM did it in '86.